Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Jones
United States
Wilsonville
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, originally I was ask if Raven was overpowered, but after comparing the cost of him against other cards, I don't really think its questionable. The guess on it when used seems is "hit" at least half the time in the games I've played, so 1.5 honor and a card draw for only two runes seems like too good of a deal, especially when compared against the Lunar Stag, Dandelion Witch, Flytrap Witch and, most importantly, Lionheart.

Has anybody experimented with changing this card? Can somebody possibly justify to me why it isn't overpowered?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Brown
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mb
I think several cards are in Ascension are out-of-whack to their costs (Flytrap Witch, 3-cost Mechana that draws you a card, etc.).

Why bother? The game has so much variance you should just enjoy the ride. Naming for Raven is fun; too bad the iOS doesn't let you Ooh and Aah like in real life!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
Essen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It can be strong when you get it early, since most of your guesses will be Apprentice. After that you probably have thinned your deck so your chances to guess correctly are strongly reduced.

I wouldn't see it as broken, at least not when playing with the card game and not on iOS.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
davypi wrote:
Well, originally I was ask if Raven was overpowered, but after comparing the cost of him against other cards, I don't really think its questionable. The guess on it when used seems is "hit" at least half the time in the games I've played, so 1.5 honor and a card draw for only two runes seems like too good of a deal, especially when compared against the Lunar Stag, Dandelion Witch, Flytrap Witch and, most importantly, Lionheart.

Has anybody experimented with changing this card? Can somebody possibly justify to me why it isn't overpowered?

First of all "Lionheart"? I don't recall any card called that in the base game nor exp #1. Perhaps you're thinking of SoS or a promo?

This card is similar to Arha Initiate where you pay one more rune to also have that "roll of the dice" element for 3 pts. Honestly, I shoot to gain an additional 6pts from Great Omen Raven (GOR), but I consider coming out ahead if I can get just an additional 3pts from it. Otherwise, it synergizes with other Lifebound cards like Snap Dragon, Runic Lycanthorpe, and Dandelion Witch.

I'm fine if it's completely random, but admit that it can be OP if someone can set themselves up for it, such as:
--use a "put on top of your deck" effect then play GOR
--use the iOS version's card manifest and the discard pile to count what's left, narrowing it down to one type of card or greatly increasing one's odds.

For the former I'd say that would simply be an incentive to end the game sooner much like if someone was able to thin their deck to high effeciency or put into play alot of useful constructs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Leath
United States
OH
flag msg tools
badge
fyeahgamesandgrub.tumblr.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Ack,
Lionheart is in SoS. It's a 5 cost Lifebound Hero that gains 3 honor. It also Unites to draw you a card when you play another Lifebound hero so that you can chain into more Lifebound Shenanigans.

Everyone else,
I think the main thing about the Omen Raven is its versatility. It's incredibly strong in the early game where naming "Apprentice" is almost an auto-3*. It also doesn't lose much steam in the mid/end game either if augmented with Druids or Stone Circle. Likewise, it can become a beast in a custom cube if paired with things like Honey Siren, etc.

It also gets marginally better on iOS because of the ability to quickly tap and count what you've purchased and what's in your discard pile or what card you have the most of in order to have the highest statistical chance of success.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tim Tim TIm TIM TIMMY!!
Costa Rica
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sometimes is is really worth getting, sometimes it does not help that much, so I do not think it is over powered, it can be a cash cow if drawn early or you have lots of green cards, but that only happens rarely. So sometimes it is worth more then it should be, and sometimes it is just and ok card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.