Tim Rudisill
United States
Winston-Salem
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So I'm going to try and start a weekly session report. My group plays every Thursday, usually for about 5-6 hours. We play several games but my memory is terrible, so I will maybe remember one or two games very well. Also, something that is important is our voting style: we all vote simultaneously by pointing. We are given plenty of time to discuss, but when discussions wind down, the moderator will call for a vote in 5, 4, 3, 2, 1 ... and then we all point. At the beginning of each game, everyone closes their eyes and the werewolves get to open it to see who each other are. Then, we begin day 1. The moderator is found dead; he was the old mayor so its time to vote in a new mayor! The mayors only responsibility? He decides who dies in the event of a tie. Usually this doesn't happen very often, but it does come up occasionally. Also, we tend to play with between 10 and the low 20's number of players.

Today I only remember one game fairly well. Just a bit about myself: I'm known as one of the better werewolf players in our group. Brn, who will be talked about below, is probably the top one, but even our worst players are still dangerous. I do tend to survive longer and win more than most other people, but I think it has to do with the fact that I make myself indispensable: I am actively participating at all times. I ask questions and I listen. When I have even the smallest theory, I bring it up. This is a big change from when I first started playing as before I was afraid of being wrong. No longer. The fact that I'm willing to lay it all out there is what keeps me alive, now.

The Game:
I was dealt the lone wolf card. Oof. I'm not a fan of this role. It's so hard to win with it and I don't like throwing my fellow teammates under the bus, which is what I feel like happens. Well, I'll see what I can do. We have 16 players in this game and the moderator has not told us what roles are in the game except for werewolves and vampires. I see that my fellow werewolves are two of our female players: B (my wife) and Tdy. This was game #4 of the day and one guy had tried the previous 3 times to be mayor and failed to get the votes every time. I threw my weight behind his candidacy and he won. Yay for him! Not that it mattered.

We go to sleep for the first night. I do not like to choose the first or second victim unless it is dire circumstances or I've figured out who the seer is. I look at B, she selects someone, but Tdy disagrees. I don't really care which one we kill, so I agree with Tdy. B relents, so we kill off a player who turns out to be a normal villager. Much discussion ensues and I'm busy trying to ferret out who the vampire is. Unfortunately, I'm unsuccessful and we go to voting. A surprise hits us: my partner B was voted off with 4 votes. I didn't see who made the 4th vote, but I noticed that a team of 3 who were sitting together had done part of it. But, surprise! B was the werewolf cub. We get 2 kills tonight! The aura seer dies to a vampire bite.

We go to sleep. It was only the second night and I don't normally like to decide who to kill, but I was confident that one of those 3 was the seer. Tdy picks her ex-bf to kill, D. I shake my head vehemently. I hold up 2 fingers, then point to those 3 in order. She gives me a funny look so I mimic someone looking through binoculars to get my point across. She mouths the word "Seer?" and I nod. I think I've found my target and I won't stop until they are dead. But the question: which of those 3? Personally, I didn't care. We are a sneaky enough group that you can't ever rely on the person doing the most talking to be the seer; we've learned to hide it too well. So I motion for her to decide. She picks #1 and #3. I nod in assent.

We wake up. The moderator informs us that the troublemaker has stirred up trouble: 2 lynchings today. The group groans. Two werewolf deaths + 2 lynchings + 1 vampire death = 5 deaths in one day with 14 people left alive. Ouch. Well, the first death reveals their role: the troublemaker. Our second kill reveals their role: the seer. BOOYAH! Seers of the world, I'm coming for you! More on this detail later as it greatly influenced the game.

Well, now its time to figure out who to lynch. I realize that with us going down to 9 people, I need to get rid of my fellow werewolf sometime soon. During discussion, someone asks me who I am suspicious of. I say, "T - she's not normally this vocal. But, it's not enough of a difference for me to really put my weight behind it." This gets thrown around a bit. Nothing comes of it as we all begin discussing other options. It's time to vote: I vote for a random person, T ends up getting 6 of the 9 votes. Whoa, whoa whoa. I'm floored. I'm the one who steered the voting in that direction and I wasn't made aware that the village was actually going to lynch her. It came out of left field and really took me by surprise. This did give me some leverage, though, as I was the one who called it.

Well, I'm the only werewolf but there's still a pesky vampire out there. I look to the person sitting to my right: this is Brn, he was #2 of the 3 that I had pegged as the seer group. I ask him who he is suspicious of. I agree to vote with him. After a bit of discussion, no real consensus is reached (thanks to me keeping the group in disarray) and we basically vote at random. However, one player is claiming to be the Hunter. He's basically said that he's going to kill me if he dies, but he's also suspicious of Brn. He's pointing at both of us and I'm getting nervous. We then vote; a random person dies. Then someone dies of a vampire bite. Six people left and it's night time.

I knew who the bodyguard was due to some previous discussion. But, due to a moderator error earlier, they were getting to protect two people. Obviously, they would protect themselves and the mayor. I called his bluff: I attacked him. At this point, the moderator wakes me up. The drunk's role had activated and he was cupid. I was being told that I was in love with the Spellcaster. Huh? Okay, so now I'm the lone wolf and I've got a lover: S. Well, good ... but that pesky vampire can really screw things up.

We wake up. I was right: the bodyguard was bluffing that he would protect himself. He dies and inglorious death. Six of us left: myself, S, Brn, Hunter, Cupid and two unknowns. I look to Cupid: I need to form an alliance with him if I'm to win this. He asks who I want to vote for, I try to steer it to Brn. I motion this also to my lover, S. Unfortunately, we ended up debating for a good 10 minutes after this. The mood changes. Brn convinces the village to vote for the unknown. We do so: he was a Mason. Oh crap, oh crap. The Mason is the bane of my existence. Once I know it's in the game, it's everything I can do to avoid saying it. Must ... avoid ... saying ... Mason. Well, the vampire bite kills someone. It was the Hunter! Without skipping a beat, he says, "I'm killing Brn because he is trying to call my bluff." Wow. Seriously dude: wow. Brn was the vampire.

Now it's me, my lover, Cupid and one random person. I'm about to ask my lover to silence me. Seriously, just silence me so I'm not tempted to say Mason. I don't. We go to sleep, I kill off Cupid. He was the mayor and he passes the mayor card to the last unknown. This unknown was silenced by my lover. I look to S and say, "I think he's the [long pause as I barely avoid saying Mason] Werewolf." He agrees, we vote him off. A win for the lover combination of Lone Wolf + Spellcaster!

Earlier I said that getting the seer that early really changed the game (beyond normal). Well, it turns out that she had checked out the vampire first thing. She was going to announce it to the village the next day, but I killed her before she got that chance.

Anyway, overall an incredibly fun and fast-paced game.

Game 2:
I don't remember this one nearly as well, but I'll give as many details as I can.

I was dealt the Prostitute card. It was my first time ever having this card and I was very excited. But ... how do I play it well?

I decided that I wanted to be the mayor. I'd be hard for the werewolves to kill and that gives the village a big advantage. I pushed hard for it. I got 4 votes out of about 20, but that was enough for me to win. I rejoice.

This is where I made my first of two serious blunders. See - it had been so long since I was a role that gets informed when his powers activate that I had forgotten that we get informed when our powers activate.

Night 1: no one dies. This is my opportunity. I believe that I was unsuccessfully attacked at night, so I want to give the werewolves a reason to attack me again. Plus, there was some concern about how hard I pushed to be the mayor. I've screwed the village a couple too many times when I was the minion or cursed, helping out team werewolf by being the mayor. So I have to give them a reason not to attack me while giving the werewolves a reason to attack me. A brilliant idea hits me: "I'm the Tough Guy." Boom - I said it. If the werewolves did attack me last night, they now know why the attack failed. They'll do it again -- and lose out on another night while I'm off prostituting. And it gave the village a reason not to lynch me.

Or so I hoped. They didn't believe me. They called me out on it. Mistake #2 occurs; I actually said, "I'm still on the villager team!" What the heck was I saying? Jeez. Now several of these people think I'm the cursed. Great. Well, I'm disoriented. I take a minute and reorganize myself. The pressure of a new role is really getting to me. Okay: I go over to my biggest detractors and inform them that I am very much a villager, I'm not really the Tough Guy, but I can't tell them what I am. However, killing me would be a very big mistake. This placates them.

We vote. There's a tie between two people. I mentally go back through what I remember about those two and decide on one of them. Luck favors me: I've just selected the Sorcerer. Find our Seer will you? No, no you will not. Except he already had. His last parting gift were something similar to these words, "You are lucky that I didn't have time to reveal you," spoken to the guy sitting beside him. I hear this and I suspect that many people do. (Turns out I was wrong.) I make a quick plea to the village before we fall asleep, "I hope the bodyguard was paying attention!"

He wasn't, that lazy bum. Well, it didn't matter. I had just made myself a nice, juicy target. I had killed off the werewolves pet sorcerer and they were none too happy about it. I didn't know it, but they attacked me in the night. I was off having sex with someone else though. Sorry werewolves, come again another night!

We wake up. The poor werewolves are in bad shape: two nights, no kills. One lynching, lose a valuable member. More discussion ensues. Tdy tells me that she is the diseased and that's why she tried to become the mayor the first day. M overhears her. I look at Tdy, "Who else have you told?" "No one." "Good. Don't tell anyone else. If word gets out, the werewolves won't attack you." Wow. These were quite likely the best words I uttered all day.

We go to voting. Two people are tied again. (Wow!) Well, once again I go through my memories of the previous days and make a decision: I chose the Teen Werewolf. Two complete days now and the werewolves have lost 2 members while the villagers haven't lost a single person.

We go to sleep. I break away from my usual pattern. I decide to be a bit risky and sleep with S. Normally I wouldn't because he is often times one of the first to go... but why not live a little? I have it on good authority that he's a great lover. As soon as I pick S, the moderator (Brn from above) gets a funny look on his face. He looks over at a dead person and points to S and that person begins laughing. Well ... either I just chose a werewolf or I'm dead. That's what I get for taking a risk.

We wake up. I'm not dead but Tdy is. She reveals she's the diseased. Immediately I rejoice in our luck: I now know that M is safe (and she was the Lycan, so having someone who can vehemently vouch for her is extremely important). She now knows that I'm safe. I'm shocked that the seer is still alive. I go over to him and he informs me that I'm safe. I tell him that M is safe. C comes over to me and tells me that X (I don't remember this players name) is the old man and that he's a seer. I go through the process of verifying the information. I go to the Old Man and beg him to pretend to be a seer: he's going to die either today or tomorrow, so why not draw a Werewolf attack? He's too new and I don't have enough time to teach him. The vote is upon us. I beg the moderator for 20 seconds. I quickly gather the people that I know is safe. I point to someone on the other side of the circle: that is our target! We vote for him and he dies.

Hilarity ensues. Are you ready for this? He was a werewolf. He was lovers with a villager who happened to be in the Blob. The Blob had managed to capture two other people: the last werewolf and the drunk who had JUST turned into the vampire the night before.

The village rejoices in our incredibly fast, efficient and amazing victory. During our celebration, I'm informed that S and I fall over dead with fang marks in our neck.

Too little, too late, Vampire. You may have killed me, but the village got the last laugh!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Wilson
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: 19 January, 2012 session report
I didn't think UWUE included a Prostitute card. Were you using a blank card or repurposing a different role, or is this another new edition/expansion?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Rudisill
United States
Winston-Salem
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: 19 January, 2012 session report
Yeah, it dawned on me earlier today. We used a blank card.

Just to spell out what the prostitute does: every night they pick someone to sleep with. If a werewolf tries to eat the prostitute, they fail since the prostitute isn't at home. But if a werewolf eats the person that the prostitute is sleeping with, they eat both that person and the prostitute.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen Michaels
United States
Glen Ridge
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Holy crap. Sounds really complex! I don't usually play with that many people (10 or 11 at most). I'm typically the moderator, but even with 11, I get confused on who is who. After a couple of drinks...i really have to concentrate! Is your mod writing all this info down? how low do the night sessions last? can people keep their eyes closed for that long?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Wilson
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally, for big games I go out of my way to include as few night-action roles as possible, and ideally I'll mostly use roles which only trigger on death, so I don't need to remember who they are. I don't need to know the Hunter or the Diseased or the Wolf Cub, for example.

I usually do scribble down the wolves' names at the start, though, to help with seer views. Or something like 'striped shirt and glasses' if I don't know everyone's name.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff C
Canada
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tcrudisi wrote:
Also, something that is important is our voting style: we all vote simultaneously by pointing. We are given plenty of time to discuss, but when discussions wind down, the moderator will call for a vote in 5, 4, 3, 2, 1 ... and then we all point.

That's interesting, why do you do that?

Quote:
Then, we begin day 1. The moderator is found dead; he was the old mayor so its time to vote in a new mayor! The mayors only responsibility? He decides who dies in the event of a tie. Usually this doesn't happen very often, but it does come up occasionally.

I was thinking of something similar, I like tying it to a N0 death.

Reading the rest of the report (which are great by the way) its apparently to me that there is more movement and private discussion going on. Is this normal in a werewolf game or something your group just decided to do? In most videos and reports people tend to remain in a circle. Either way, I like it, I think.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.