Final Fantasy XIII» Forums » General

Subject: So far, this game is pretty awful rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Steven
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am a huge Final Fantasy fanboy, but FFXIII is killing me right now (I'm about six hours in). My complaints, in no particular order:

• I am literally walking along a rail from cut scene to cut scene.

• The combat apparently requires nothing more than repeatedly hitting the X button and occasionally drinking a potion. (Yes, I can use paradigms, but they don't seem particularly useful yet.)

• I can't understand the story or any of the dialogue. Would it have been that hard for somebody to actually explain what a "l'Cie" is? What "Pulse" is? What "Cocoon" is, even (a city, a world, a space station)?

I'm still going to finish the game, but I felt the need to vent. angry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Schoonmaker
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
badge
This overtext intentionally left blank.
mbmbmbmbmb
Savor the character interactions. I never did make head or tail out of some of the characters' motivations, but some of the bits along the way were neat. Kind of like FF8, I guess.

You're going to be on rails for a long, long time.

The combat does get interesting, so there's that
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete McCartney
Canada
Calgary
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am almost finished it, I do really like the story aspect, but fighting the big monster dudes is just such a hassle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Железный комиссар
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Haven't played it myself, but I did watch an LP on youtube out of morbid curiosity.

I actually like the Pulse/Cocoon/l'Cie premise, but I think the characters are mostly insufferable, Fang and Lightning being exceptions. The linearity - yeah, pretty mind-boggling.

Seems like the combat system eventually amounts to something - after what, at least 10 hours? It's not that there aren't any redeeming qualities, it's that the total package is such an unbelievable mess. You have to put up with a lot of drudgery before there's any payoff. My take anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kiku Ichimonji
United Kingdom
Milton Keynes
Buckinghamshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with most of the criticisms here too. When I originally picked it up, I played it for perhaps four hours before putting it to one side in favour of something else. It felt far too much like the game was slow-rolling the tutorial process to expand the opening hours of the game.

Eventually I went back to it and finished it after a friend enthused that "once you get to chapter 11 the game really opens up". Turned out that the "opening up" being referred to was just "hunt the monster", rather like the Mark Hunt sidequest of the previous game.

Definitely a low point in the series.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Birzer
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JohnRayJr wrote:
Haven't played it myself, but I did watch an LP on youtube out of morbid curiosity.

I actually like the Pulse/Cocoon/l'Cie premise, but I think the characters are mostly insufferable, Fang and Lightning being exceptions. The linearity - yeah, pretty mind-boggling.

I find it mind-boggling that people complain about linearity when most FF games are pretty linear. FF X was no less linear.

Quote:
Seems like the combat system eventually amounts to something - after what, at least 10 hours? It's not that there aren't any redeeming qualities, it's that the total package is such an unbelievable mess. You have to put up with a lot of drudgery before there's any payoff. My take anyway.

There is a lot of hand-holding in the early game so far, probably a little too much. But, after playing the demo for XIII-2, being thrown into the middle of that battle system is a bit much. Personally, while I don't think it is as good as XII's battle system, I still find it interesting.

I do agree about the cutscene abuse, which they seemed to have addressed in 2. Personally, I've liked what I've played, but then again, I know what to expect from FF games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Железный комиссар
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TheLongshot wrote:
JohnRayJr wrote:

I find it mind-boggling that people complain about linearity when most FF games are pretty linear. FF X was no less linear.

FFX is my least favorite game in the series.

Indeed, I was fairly convinced that the brand was irretrievable until XII came along. A linear plot and robust exploration are not mutually exclusive.

Quote:
Personally, I've liked what I've played, but then again, I know what to expect from FF games.

I've been playing them since 1990. I'm pretty sure I know what to expect as well as anyone. cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Gardner
United States
West Henrietta
New York
flag msg tools
Bah da da da da da da... da da da da da da da... DAH dah DAH!
badge
Gabriel Knight. Check it out at GOG.Com
mbmbmbmbmb
I actually beat this one, which is mind-boggling. It's got a nice polish on it, especially if you're playing it on the PS3. The story is incredibly hard to follow. After you watch a cutscene, you almost have to read the summary of what you just watched in the menu to understand the context. I really enjoyed the combat, all of your decisions are around "which party combination do I need" at any given moment, instead of "I need to cast ice on that fire elemental".

Best way I could put it, it's probably one of my least favorite FF games, but I'm glad I followed it through to completion. It's a really interesting mess.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just an update from me (the OP). I've now gotten far enough in the game that I can acknowledge that, yes, paradigm-shifting is really important, and makes a big difference in the tougher boss battles. And the game is consistently drop-dead gorgeous.

I'm still bored to tears. I can't believe I have 20-30 hours left to go.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Johnson
Canada
St.John's
Newfoundland
flag msg tools
designer
“Brothers, oh brothers, my days here are done, the Dornishman’s taken my life, But what does it matter, for all men must die, and I’ve tasted the Dornishman’s wife!”
badge
"Oak and iron guard me well, or else I'm dead and doomed to hell." - Andal proverb.
mbmbmbmbmb
bullseyetm wrote:
Best way I could put it, it's probably one of my least favorite FF games, but I'm glad I followed it through to completion. It's a really interesting mess.

On the plus side, people are saying that XIII-2 is actually a really good game, so you already have your leg work done.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Железный комиссар
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Eeeville wrote:
bullseyetm wrote:

On the plus side, people are saying that XIII-2 is actually a really good game, so you already have your leg work done.

There will be an explosion of reviews in the next few days, but the four (English Language) reviews currently listed on metacritic all say essentially the same thing, and even assign identical scores (8/10).

In short: the developers focused obsessively on exploration, branching paths, sidequests, etc (good), but in the process based the game around a vague, poorly developed, non-sensical, and by some accounts downright stupid and incoherent story (bad). I admit, I'm curious to see what the larger reaction will be.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JohnRayJr wrote:
There will be an explosion of reviews in the next few days, but the four (English Language) reviews currently listed on metacritic all say essentially the same thing, and even assign identical scores (8/10).

In short: the developers focused obsessively on exploration, branching paths, sidequests, etc (good), but in the process based the game around a vague, poorly developed, non-sensical, and by some accounts downright stupid and incoherent story (bad). I admit, I'm curious to see what the larger reaction will be.

The story can't be worse than X-2! I didn't have high hopes for XIII-2 but my interest is piqued.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Connellan
United States
Binghamton
New York
flag msg tools
badge
I am the white void. I am the cold steel. I am the just sword.
mbmbmbmbmb
After you make it to Vallis Media the game takes a sharp turn for the better. The enemies become tougher, the battles become more strategic, the TP become more difficult to manage, the sidequests become... available. This is an awesome game, unfortunately Squeenix thought it needed a 30-hour tutorial.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.