Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jim fulner
United States
Berkley
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So I had been really excited to play this after I first saw it on the Geek. I've been a RISK fan since I first played at Arrowhead Bible Place (there was nothing outdoorsy so I refused to call it a Camp). Now-a-days my main gaming partner is my wife, who thinks dice hate her and as such is not a fan of RISK at all, so a solitary version appealed.

Anytime I go in with that much anticipation I usually will end up loving it no matter what, or hating it because nothing could meet my expectation.

I'm not sure how they figure 60 minutes for a game here, it took me nearly 4 hours over 2 evenings. Granted, playing the first time is always longer, and will get shortened somewhat on subsequent plays.

If the rules are to be bound in a real book making flipping back and forth easier would be much preferable than my 22 pages single sided with one staple.

Some things were very unclear. several times during the game I ended up with "whoops, i forgot about [Earthling attack against stationary alien army] [IF there is an Earthling Capital located on the same continent include the modifier] etc." Some of these I tried to go back and re do the phase of the turn, while others were several turns later when I realized the rule or my error, and did not bother redoing it. I'm not sure how much this affected my game overall.

Towards the end of the game, when I felt I was truly dominating, I was ready to write a very poor review that i had no idea what I was doing and won so easily. However, over the last two turns came into very obvious effect the mechanism of the "Fleet Admiral limiting our reinforcements" and all of the corny jokes made in the rules made more sense. I realized there was much more potential for strategy. That there would be a good reason not to necessarily take the maximum number of Alien Armies allowed at the beginning of the game. Do I have any idea what to do with this information, uhm no.

So, it wasn't what I was expecting, and I hope to do a more thorough review after a few more plays.

I hope to get some good comments back (though seeing the activity on this page it may be asking a lot) including suggestions for keeping 50 alien Army pieces separated in their box, easily obtainable for still playing the regular game, of course my aliens are the little green men, and they're currently separated by keeping the additional (beyond 50) pieces in a cheap plastic baggy and trying to squeeze it all in the box of my green pieces in my Hasbro Nostalgia Edition
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Belli
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking."
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds interesting.

Please describe the play experience.

Did you have a number of difficult choices to make?

Was there tension in the game?

You mentioned the big climax. Did you feel like you had too many missions to accomplish and not enough force, time, and command points (Or whatever mechanic the system uses.. you know what I mean.) to avoid the death penalty for failure?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.