N Edmond
United Kingdom
Brockley
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello Megafaunaphiles.

How many catastrophes are you experiencing/game, typically?

In other words how frequently are you progressing to the Cenozoic via catastrophic means?

Just curious.

Ned
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristof Bodric
Serbia
Novi Sad
flag msg tools
badge
And the ranger's aim was deadly with the big iron on his hip...
mbmbmbmbmb
The frequency of catastrophes can vary wildly from none to, say, 4 or 5. So it's perfectly normal for all the Mesozoic tiles to run out without a single catastrophe having occurred.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cole Wehrle
United States
St. Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
"Work as if you live in the early days of a better nation"
mbmbmbmbmb
I find that there are generally 3, though I've played two games where only one came out and one game that had 5 as well. Life can be hard.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Leet
United States
Burlington
Vermont
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We ran a statistical analysis on this early in the playtest cycle (the game looked a lot different at that point, but the number of catastrophes relative to total mix hasn't changed). The average comes out pretty close to historical, which is that the second catastrophe would be the last tile of the second to last stack. However, with the large number of cards relative to those used by game the variance is enormous.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
N Edmond
United Kingdom
Brockley
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Intriguing - I realise there's about 1 catastrophe for every 14 cards, with the Triassic (3 x players), Jurassic (5), Cretaceous (8) and Tertiary (7) offering 23, 26, 29 or 32 cards depending on player numbers.

Yet, out of 10 games (7 x 2 player, 2 x 3 player, 1 x 4 player), only two have had more than one catastrophe. I've never got more than, say, 10 tiles into the Cenozoic.

I'm starting to feel like a comet-dodger.

Also, has anyone managed to make interesting use of post-rift Africa?

Ned
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared VZ
United States
Stockton
California
flag msg tools
mb
Don't forget to apply the greenhouse changes on the tiles. There aren't many, so they're easy to forget. This should add to the number of catastrophes. 4-5 catastrophes is typical in the games I've played so far.

My tuskers made it to Africa before the Atlantic rift opened in a game and thrived there. Have yet to have a species swim there, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Carey
United States
West Coast
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Last session (4-players) had Red build a 13 DNA super-species. We kept warning him about Catastrophes, but none occurred (Upper display Events being ignored). Mesozoic tiles ran out and we ended there (time). Red finished in 3rd place.

Searching the Tertiary deck (which we didn't reach), there were two Catastrophes yet to appear had we continued on with the Cenozoic tiles.

The prior session was 2-player (one card display only), and there were two Catastrophes which wiped out three species.

Overall, playing with two displays (Lower and Upper), and the Upper display not triggering Events, causes results to vary widely (which I very much like as being less deterministic). More often than not it's the Mesozoic tiles exhausting that would move the game into the Cenozoic (using the optional rule), rather than two Catastrophes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
N Edmond
United Kingdom
Brockley
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JV13 wrote:
Don't forget to apply the greenhouse changes on the tiles. There aren't many, so they're easy to forget. This should add to the number of catastrophes. 4-5 catastrophes is typical in the games I've played so far.

My tuskers made it to Africa before the Atlantic rift opened in a game and thrived there. Have yet to have a species swim there, though.

I love a volcano tile as much as the next man, but I'm using Catastrophe in the strict sense: Catastrophe cards.

I salute your Afro-tuskers.

Ned
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.