Popular Tags: [View All]
Jason R
United States
Culpeper
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How in the world are you supposed to attack a city without taking a ton of damage? I attacked the red city at level 4. It was 2 purple and one brown I believe. I attacked and killed the brown one but took 11 damage in the process. Is the only way to attack a city to get all 16 cards in your hand at once? Not likely since there are only a few cards that let you draw extra cards.

This is the only problem I have with the game. You have to hurry to get to the cities in time. However, if you hurry you are not really attacking and leveling up and building your deck to be very powerful. If you level up and become powerful enough you don't get to the cities in time.

Oh well I still love the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Debien
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
First off, start with a big hand of cards. Sparing Power and Great Start tactics are good for this, as are keeps. As you get close to the city assaulting portion of the game, save up your unit actions for the city attack.

Enough seige attack to take out one opponent is very helpful.

Spells and units that keep an opponent from attacking can also be extremely good.

Lot's of block, of course, is a big plus.

Add all four of the above, and some city assaults can be a cake walk. I have taken down level 4 cities without taking a wound.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Reid
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cooperative assaults on cities, even in non-coop games, are also possible and are sometimes the way to go. Better to split the spoils with one opponent than let a third get all the reward to themselves.

casualgod wrote:
Spells and units that keep an opponent from attacking can also be extremely good.

Not to mention there are some spells that are especially effective during city assaults.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Debien
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Forgot to discuss crystals: in essence, this is what you have been saving them up for. When you go into a city assault, you should have enough crystals to power up a great number of your cards. If you do not, then you have a problem.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kaiwen Zhang
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
Welcome to Zombo.com!
badge
Art of life
mbmbmbmbmb
jr4417 wrote:

This is the only problem I have with the game. You have to hurry to get to the cities in time. However, if you hurry you are not really attacking and leveling up and building your deck to be very powerful. If you level up and become powerful enough you don't get to the cities in time.

Oh well I still love the game.

how is that a problem? this is exactly what makes it awesome! you have a tough decision to make, maybe you gamble a little bit to get the city first!

now the question is whether its possible to completely avoid taking down cities and focus on little things instead... and still win

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffery Bass
United States
San Carlos
California
flag msg tools
badge
What's this? Why, it's the Hiller Flying Platform! It flew in 1955.
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, it's not strictly necessary to defeat every denizen in the city in the same turn. You can take out one, retreat to a safe hex to regroup (or draw new cards) and come back to the city on the next (or a future) turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Debien
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SkyGazer wrote:
Also, it's not strictly necessary to defeat every denizen in the city in the same turn. You can take out one, retreat to a safe hex to regroup (or draw new cards) and come back to the city on the next (or a future) turn.

Wait, what? If you assault a city alone, you still have to face all of its defenders, whether you destroy them or not.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy Okolica
United States
Washington Township
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
casualgod wrote:
SkyGazer wrote:

Wait, what? If you assault a city alone, you still have to face all of its defenders, whether you destroy them or not.

True, but you don't have to defeat them. If you fail, you retreat to your previous space and take one (more) wound. Assuming there's time, you can rest to get the wounds out of your hand (hopefully not a slow rest) and then come back with new cards to defeat whoever is left. While I have yet to win solo, that's what I've tried every time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian
France
Lyon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Attack at night, with a pair of spells and black mana. Not easy to set up, but when it works...cool

I agree that the dilemma between early and strong is really interesting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Debien
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kris wrote:
Attack at night, with a pair of spells and black mana. Not easy to set up, but when it works...cool

I agree that the dilemma between early and strong is really interesting.

Assuming a solo game, you need to take out 2 cities. The first city is usually taken down on the last day. This works because it is the weaker of the 2 cities. Then, the second sity can be take down on the last night, when black mana becomes available. Funny how that works out. ninja

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Reid
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
casualgod wrote:
SkyGazer wrote:

Cities and other fortified sites do not re-draw monster tokens after a failed assault. Only the survivors remain.

Spawning Grounds are the only site that re-populates if 1 of the 2 monsters are defeated.

And for good measure, Dungeons, Tombs, and Monasteries always draw new tokens on the fly...survivors never remain.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Miller
United States
Holland
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Butterfly0038 wrote:
casualgod wrote:
SkyGazer wrote:

True, but you don't have to defeat them. If you fail, you retreat to your previous space and take one (more) wound. Assuming there's time, you can rest to get the wounds out of your hand (hopefully not a slow rest) and then come back with new cards to defeat whoever is left. While I have yet to win solo, that's what I've tried every time.

You shouldn't be taking an extra wound unless you attacked from a hex that is not a safe location.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy Okolica
United States
Washington Township
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Glamorous Mucus wrote:
Butterfly0038 wrote:
casualgod wrote:
SkyGazer wrote:

You shouldn't be taking an extra wound unless you attacked from a hex that is not a safe location.

I thought to attack a city, you have to move to the city. Then, if you fail to conquer it, the city is not a safe location, so you have to retreat to the space you came from (taking a wound in the process). Is that not right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
Butterfly0038 wrote:
Glamorous Mucus wrote:
Butterfly0038 wrote:
casualgod wrote:
SkyGazer wrote:

I thought to attack a city, you have to move to the city. Then, if you fail to conquer it, the city is not a safe location, so you have to retreat to the space you came from (taking a wound in the process). Is that not right?

Not quite. When you attack a fortified location, and fail, you do retreat back to the previous spot, but this retreat itself doesn't cause wounds. It's only if the place you retreat back to is itself not "safe" that you must retreat further and start taking wounds.

IE, while ending your turn in a non-safe space does cause wounds, the retreat from the fortified location is "free" before the end of your turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Reid
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sigmazero13 wrote:
IE, while ending your turn in a non-safe space does cause wounds, the retreat from the fortified location is "free" before the end of your turn.

This is correct. The "Forced Withdrawl" rules (i.e. the extra wound(s)) only apply in the case where the space attacked from is not safe.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Grogan
United Kingdom
Cullompton
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
Check out all my instructional How to Play videos at youtube.com/GamingRulesVideos
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow. I just saw this post, was going to reply, and there's already many posts already.. Maybe I'm starting to be needed less and less, which is a good thing
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Hurp
United Kingdom
Aldershot
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sigmazero13 wrote:
When you attack a fortified location, and fail, you do retreat back to the previous spot, but this retreat itself doesn't cause wounds. It's only if the place you retreat back to is itself not "safe" that you must retreat further and start taking wounds.

Ooops, I go that bit wrong as well.
johncraven wrote:
now the question is whether its possible to completely avoid taking down cities and focus on little things instead... and still win

Hmm, yeah. Full 2-player game yesterday, I single-handed conquer both cities and lose by about 20 pts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fabs wrote:
johncraven wrote:

Hmm, yeah. Full 2-player game yesterday, I single-handed conquer both cities and lose by about 20 pts.

Well, if nobody goes for the cities, both players lose.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Hurp
United Kingdom
Aldershot
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, i had realised this was the most likely outcome when i was heading towards the 2nd city, but said "I'd rather be last of the winners, than first of the losers"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Ludlow
United States
Saint Louis Park
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sigmazero13 wrote:
Fabs wrote:
johncraven wrote:

This is not correct in the full conquest scenario. Are you talking about a different scenario perhaps?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jdludlow wrote:
sigmazero13 wrote:
Fabs wrote:
johncraven wrote:

This is not correct in the full conquest scenario. Are you talking about a different scenario perhaps?

I think I'm just correlating "mission successful" with "winning". I guess technically a player "wins" if they have more points... but to me, if the mission is a failure, regardless of whether a player "wins", both players have also "lost".

In the games we've played, if the cities aren't conquered, we count up points to see who is the winnerest of the losers, but neither of us consider the game a victory.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Grogan
United Kingdom
Cullompton
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
Check out all my instructional How to Play videos at youtube.com/GamingRulesVideos
mbmbmbmbmb
jdludlow wrote:
Quote:

In a competitive scenario it doesnt matter whether the cities are taken or not, it is the one with the most fame who wins.

In a co-op scenario, if you dont take all the cities, the team loses.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Pettifer
England
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
There are a number of cards that give siege attack, or that stop enemies form attacking you, there's the unit that gives all your units all resistances, etc. These sort of cards are critical to taking out a city without taking a bunch of wounds.

Spells, Artifacts & Elite Units are what you need. Level 4 cities can sometimes be almost trivial if you're tooled up with the right cards and the mana to power them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Clarke
Canada
Port Coquitlam
B.C.
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jr4417 wrote:
How in the world are you supposed to attack a city without taking a ton of damage? I attacked the red city at level 4. It was 2 purple and one brown I believe. I attacked and killed the brown one but took 11 damage in the process. Is the only way to attack a city to get all 16 cards in your hand at once?

No and you have to build up to it too. So you do have to take the time to conquer along the way and level up enough to get adequate command tokens so you can muster an army.

They act exactly as extra cards in your hand. And David is right about acquiring enough mana to power them and the rest of your cards. You should be able to win at least one or two of those fights, block another and take damage from the guy that's left. If you're powerful enough it IS possible to take them all out. This is the challenge of this game and this is why it continues to deliver the more you play it, because the more you play it, the more ways you discover to make these things happen.

Taking down the cities actually starts with your first move. Don't waste stuff, be economical, build crystals. That said, you can also win the game by burning crystals and putting resources into building a majority in categories of Achievements. Sometimes that's the way to go. The game's fluid so you have to assess and re-assess as you play. Players can still take down the cities and lose the game.

Don't despair! The fact that it's tough means there's still lots of game in the box.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Yost
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Check out the strategy forum, there are a number of good posts. Here are two to get you started.

[url]http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/745405/wisdom-from-sever...
[/url]
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/743182/solo-co-op-strate...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.