Jordan Spence
United States
Brooklyn Park
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mb
I've been trying to come up with mechanic ideas to add exploration to a base defense/dungeon crawler idea. The basic idea is you have a base you can add upgrades too by spending resources and then you will forced to defend that base against attacks, and you collect resources by venturing outside of the base. The only issue is I dont want it to be like most games where you go to location X on a map and turn over a card and then roll some dice or read some text. I dont consider that exploration, you didn't go search the location. I would prefer if you go to a location, lets say a cave then you could explore the cave that could be drawing cards that represent the inside of the cave and on the cards is movement spaces that a character could navigate. So a small cave could be 2 cards that you put together and that makes a cave layout. The issues I've run into is I dont want the other players waiting around while a single player explores a location. And I would prefer that each player could go to seperate locations instead of forcing the players work together or put them in the same location.

I was just looking for any ideas on how I could get this to work. I know it's very difficult to combine basically two seperate games into a single game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Sevier
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm...well, you could have each step be a turn. So on any given player's turn they could:

1) Upgrade their base
2) Move to a location to search
3) Explore a location they are searching (interact with one of the cards)
4) Defend their base. I'd probably have the attacks come at known times so that people can time things so that they'll be back at their base for the attack, assuming that they need to be.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Spence
United States
Brooklyn Park
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mb
You would run into prolonged turns if there was no player interaction while the current player is exploring a dungeon. I want to avoid having a down period while other players are exploring.

That means everyone explores the dungeon they are in simultaneously, or players can effect the current player's dungeon he is exploring with cards/actions or the dungeon is just a deck of cards a player turns over with generic random things on them (resource / encounter).

And then from those choices how does a player move inside the dungeon with a dice or cards? If you add dice it seems like it would make the exploring take longer. If you just have the dungeon just be cards a player turns over with text for (resource/encounter) then it would shorten the turn but remove any exploration. There has to be a nice balance somewhere.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Sevier
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not sure I made it clear, but by Explore I meant that they would do part of the exploration each turn. That way there isn't too much downtime between turns.

One way to handle exploration might be to have each dungeon be set from a pile of Dungeon cards and then have the player draw Exploration cards within the dungeon.

So let's say that player A goes exploring and gets the Grimwyld Mines as their dungeon. That cards says that the Mine takes up 4 Exploration cards. So if they player wants to fully explore the Mines he'll have to take 4 turns doing so. He encounters the first card immediately and then each turn after that must decide if he is going to explore further or head back with whatever he's gained. Defeat in a dungeon would have you lose everything you've gained so far, so you'd get a 'push your luck' sort of mechanic involved.

To make things more interesting, you could have multiple Exploration decks of different colors that have different aspects or difficulty. Maybe Green, Yellow, and Red decks that correspond to difficulty. Going back to the Mine, maybe it has you draw two Green cards, then a Yellow, then a Red. So near the end of the mine you know you'd be facing something powerful but with a good reward. If you don't think you can handle it, you'd leave the Mine and go back to your base to do upgrade stuff there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Micah Fuller
Canada
Hamilton
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mephansteras wrote:
Hmm...well, you could have each step be a turn. So on any given player's turn they could:

1) Upgrade their base
2) Move to a location to search
3) Explore a location they are searching (interact with one of the cards)
4) Defend their base. I'd probably have the attacks come at known times so that people can time things so that they'll be back at their base for the attack, assuming that they need to be.

I think the point here was that you break up "exploration" into many smaller chunks, so that there is minimal downtime between turns. This way each player is essentially exploring 'at the same time'.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Spence
United States
Brooklyn Park
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mb
If the dungeon exploring was broken down to be turned based, it could limit the amount of things a player could find per turn in the dungeon in order to upgrade their base. Instead of gathering it all at once and getting it back for their base to use.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
damian isherwood
Canada
Courtice
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Why not make the dungeon/cave/ruins exploration part of the down time, player A declares an exploration phase draws X cards representing said area challenges. When B is executing their turn player A is Simultaneously playing out their exploration.

just a thought.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Spence
United States
Brooklyn Park
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mb
If you have the players executing their turn simultaneously could you have any conflict outside of reading text. If you wanted to add fighting monsters or anything requiring rolling dice, it might feel disjointed if all players are doing something and not aware of the other's actions?

It would work if the exploration cards were fairly simple. I would prefer to keep it more dungeon crawling RPG like.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Sevier
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Which is why I suggested breaking the Exploration out into multiple turns.

Really, the problem is that you want a reasonably deep Dungeon Crawler without forcing the players to all be in the same dungeon. The only way I can think to do that, other than basically having a bunch of solitaire games going on, is to break it up so that the Dungeon Crawling is done in short chunks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.