Subject: ios boardgaming in relation to physical boardgame cost. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
shane eversoll
United States
Camanche
Iowa
flag msg tools
So which way is ios boardgaming suppose to be pushing the ceiling on the cost of boardgames? I understand there are labor, material, and development costs but after playing games such as tigris and euphrates, and medici, it seems there really isnt much to them. I like playing boardgames with people in front of me but why would people go pay 30-45 dollars for a game when they can purchase it on an ipad for a fraction of the cost and still play with people and no set up time. It seems game prices should drop a little to me. Will all games have a digital cousin in the future?...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Shipley
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
the liberal unsavory type
mbmbmbmbmb
Everyone having to buy a $600 device every couple years doesn't get counted in the price?

I stare at enough screens each day. The price of boardgames is cheap for what you can get out of them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Also the Ipad has a rather small screen for those who have poor eyesight and want to play games with out going blind.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Morgan
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not all iPad games feature local multiplayer modes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
Rockhopper01 wrote:
This is too broad a subject to relegate it to "either-or" status.

I love the tactile feel of playing a real boardgame. But its certainly easier for my sons and me to play Carcassonne on the iPad while we're hanging out in the dentist's waiting area.

I'm with you on this one. For instance, I love playing Ascention on the iPad, just because it's fast and there's no setup, but the tactile sensation of actually playing with cards is about 1000x more fun to me. Maybe it's just carryover from my old MtG days, but card games with virtual cards just don't have the same feel.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jean Gagnier
Canada
Montréal
Québec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rshipley wrote:
Everyone having to buy a $600 device every couple years doesn't get counted in the price?

I stare at enough screens each day. The price of boardgames is cheap for what you can get out of them.

I use my computer in great part for BGG, but when you ask me if using BGG is free, I wouldn't take into account my $1000 computer. I don't see why it should be any different for games.

I don't own an iPad, but I have an iPhone, and the ability to play games is certainly one of the reasons why I purchased it. It can cost as low as $100 for previous generation versions. But, not only can you play games on it, but you can also take photos, call people, text people, access BGG, read e-mails, etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johan Haglert
Sweden
Örebro
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally I wouldn't want to play board games because they are awesome (maybe one is?) but rather because I could play it with people (if anyone actually accepted it.)

There already is computer games .. And well, I think I'd rather play many computer games than a board game on a computer.

It would lack some of the social aspect to.

Sure on a tablet with people, but wouldn't that feel inferior to a physical game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darth Daddy
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
I also prefer both depending on the situation. Board games are great when I'm with friends *and* we have the time to play (both are necessary) . iOS (and Android) games are great to play when friends aren’t available locally, and many will let you save the game in progress when lots of time isn't available.

That said, I do enjoy finding well done iOS conversions of board games, especially if I’ve never played the board game before. It’s a great way to discover new games that I may otherwise have missed. In that sense, I believe that iOS games can complement and help promote the board games that inspired them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johan Haglert
Sweden
Örebro
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, low price, plenty of them and the same experience is good arguments.

But I won't buy another Apple product :/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Sommer
United States
Racine
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Frankly, it's not that physical copies of games are too expensive; it's that the iOS games are kind of ridiculously underpriced.

As an iOS user, though, I'm not complaining too much.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alessandro Maggi
Italy
Rome
Rome
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SommerMatt wrote:
Frankly, it's not that physical copies of games are too expensive; it's that the iOS games are kind of ridiculously underpriced.

I think that the overall "low" price for applications and games on iOS is spot on: in the business plan of Apple I see this as a feature the developers are more than willing to adhere to thanks to the high visibility that the AppStore gives to the applications and the large user base. Also it seems to me that installing unauthorized software on Android is somewhat easier than on iPhone/iPad (without mentioning that most people opting for a premium device often don't care about spending few bucks for supported applications).

jgag wrote:
I use my computer in great part for BGG, but when you ask me if using BGG is free, I wouldn't take into account my $1000 computer. I don't see why it should be any different for games.

I don't own an iPad, but I have an iPhone, and the ability to play games is certainly one of the reasons why I purchased it. It can cost as low as $100 for previous generation versions. But, not only can you play games on it, but you can also take photos, call people, text people, access BGG, read e-mails, etc.

Agreed, I believe the argument of taking the device price into account holds only if you're starting from scratch and are asking yourself "should I start buying XYZ physical games or should I get an iPad and buy XYZ games for iOS?". If you're buying a device for multiple (valid/true) reasons instead you can ideally imagine that a fraction of the cost can be considered as "invested for boardgames", but that would sound more as overthinking it to me.

As of me, since I don't own a single iOS device, I know I'm tempted by their (board)gaming capabilities and even though I'd still use an iPad for many other tasks I can't really consider buying it as a mean to obtain new board games at a lower price, but I'll definitely take this into account if I'll ever have to buy a tablet for other reasons.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johan Haglert
Sweden
Örebro
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess it's off-topic for this thread to ask how well vassel or vassal or whatever it's called work on touch screen devices. Some standardized solution would be nice. Web.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
"Real" boardgames are always better to me, but I appreciate that I can buy some games on my iPhone. I buy them for three reasons:

1. Ability to play against the computer AI when I don't have an opponent
2. Ability to play games on-the-go, like when we're waiting at a restaurant where I can't play the real game
3. Rarely, the ability to "test-drive" a game before buying the physical version.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.