Popular Tags: [View All]
Steve Evans
Wales
Rhondda
Mid Glamorgan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Not sure if it's die or dice.

Anyroad. I've been playing this game for about a week and so far I agree with the posters who say that the game is lovely looking but not fun.
I've been pondering and have pondered that two dice would be better than one, that way you'd get two resources per turn rather than one, have more chance to build and buy and be able to plan ahead with what you want to build.

At the moment it's too random. Random with dice rolls, random when you draw a card, random with the ? rolls.

I'm sure there's a good game in here somewhere, I'm just having trouble finding it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
Train gamer, Euro gamer and War gamer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife and I have been using two production dice for a couple of years (starting with the old Catan card game) and find it works quite well. Just watch out for the brigands event.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Evans
Wales
Rhondda
Mid Glamorgan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thanks Bob. Will have to wait a couple of days before Mrs Jester will play again, I always chuck a numpty playing this game, it's just do darn frustrating. You gave me the answer I was looking for.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Evans
Wales
Rhondda
Mid Glamorgan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Played it this way today, game felt so much more fluid and natural.
Could plan ahead for build orders and trade ships become useful resources rather than an annoyance which takes up a slot.

Two dice should have been in this game from the start IMHO, actually makes it playable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin J
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the next time I play, I will try this variant. I am worried, though, that it lends too much power to the strategy of building a lot of settlements -- if each of your resource-bearing areas has twice the usual chance to produce, certainly they become much more valuable.

Or phrasing it another way, the buildings that react to certain events or die rolls will be less valuable since the event die will be rolled fewer times during the game (since doubling production will surely shorten the number of rounds in the game).

I think I might try adding one small change -- roll two dice, and, for each die, choose one resource to produce.

For example, I roll a 4 and a 6. I have a wheat region with a 4, a forest with a 4, and a mountain with a 6. I produce one ore (since it is the only choice for the 6) and either one wood or one wheat (I choose which region is affected by the instead of producing on both).

Alternatively, suppose next turn I roll two 4s. Then I will produce one wheat and one wood, or two wheat, or two wood. The turn after that, I roll two 6s. I will produce two ore.

Now expanding and getting new settlements will not explode my production (both players will be getting double production from the start of the game), but allows me to pick and choose which resources to collect since now I have more areas to choose from on each roll.

Does that make sense? What does everyone else think? I just don't want to turn the game into a race for roads and settlements since rolling two dice makes new regions twice as useful as without the variant.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Evans
Wales
Rhondda
Mid Glamorgan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Give it a shot and tell us what you think. I don't really agree with two dice giving you too much power since there are still a load of ways to lose goods in this game, brigands attacks are almost always going to hit you when you've got a mit full of sheep and gold, feuds are nasty, but by and large nothing can't be overcome.
I played against Mrs Jester again this morning and we took two very different paths to get our points and they were both paths we chose ourselves rather than being forced into.

But please, tell me how it worked with just one resource from two dice, I'm planning on writing a review soon so that would be interesting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moe45673
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I agree with this. I don't think two dice are necessary and the only reason games may go on too long, imo, is AP due to newb player unfamiliarity.

Personally, I always build the marketplace, even before my opponent builds new settlements. That thing has never failed me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.