Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike G
United States
Olympia
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Getting ready to play my first game tonight and have a (possibly dumb) question:

On Page 5 of the rules it indicates that the Offense burns a card for a running play before the dice are rolled. But on Page 7 it says that if there is a penalty, do not burn a card. So, we shouldn't be burning that card until after rolling the dice, right?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Draper
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
I just read through the rulebook for the first time and had the same thought as you. Unless otherwise clarified, we plan on burning the card after the play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Stevens
United States
Nebraska
flag msg tools
I protect the sheep in our society from the wolves.
mbmbmbmbmb
In REAL football the clock would continue to run after a running play that stayed in bounds. The clock would stop immediately the minute that a penalty was called.

So the designer tried to keep it like real football as far as the clock goes. We always burn the extra offense card after the running play is over assuming no Timeout was called and no penalty was called.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Draper
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Omahavice wrote:
In REAL football the clock would continue to run after a running play that stayed in bounds. The clock would stop immediately the minute that a penalty was called.

So the designer tried to keep it like real football as far as the clock goes. We always burn the extra offense card after the running play is over assuming no Timeout was called and no penalty was called.

I think everyone is clear what happens in REAL football.

The rulebook to the GAME, however, has two seemingly contradictory statements. It is not at all clear what the designer intended. That is why this question has been raised.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike G
United States
Olympia
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Well, played two games tonight and had a blast. Some confusion remains though. Do you burn a card after a running play that results in a turnover (on downs or fumble/interception)? Since the clock stops in a real game I would think yes but couldn't see the answer in the rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Stevens
United States
Nebraska
flag msg tools
I protect the sheep in our society from the wolves.
mbmbmbmbmb
falluper wrote:
Well, played two games tonight and had a blast. Some confusion remains though. Do you burn a card after a running play that results in a turnover (on downs or fumble/interception)? Since the clock stops in a real game I would think yes but couldn't see the answer in the rules.

If your having fun and enjoying the game, just House Rule it whatever way you think makes the game more realistic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Draper
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
In general, the rules are vague.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Carzima
United States
East Brunswick
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I do not burn a card if a play stoppage occurs after a running play (TD, Time Out, Penalty, Turnover).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.