I am from Bavaria
badge
King Ludwig II of Bavaria
mbmbmbmb
Ok, i am not sure,
but i assume, the new stickers identify all
guard INF, light INF and heavy CAV.
So a Grenadier unit have now also the "Guard" status, which is required
for some command cards like "Bayonett Charge" ?

And the Young Guard with the "Bugle icon" have the light INF status only, not the Guard?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Dippel
Germany
Rheinhausen
Baden-Württemberg
flag msg tools
I am from Bavaria
badge
King Ludwig II of Bavaria
mbmbmbmb
Quote:
I'm pretty sure the "flaming grenade" simply means "Grenadier"-type unit.

If you are right, the new symbols are redundant

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guido Gloor
Switzerland
Ostermundigen
Bern
flag msg tools
The statement below is false.
badge
The statement above is correct.
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I was complaining about having to read instead of merely looking at symbols before, maybe I wasn't the only one and GMT listened to their customers?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
my eye
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm most likely in the minority, but I absolutely hate the symbols. To me they just look like little smudges. Being a visual guy, I had no problem with correlating the drawing on the block to the correct unit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guillaume Gleize
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For me and with respect for the authors of this beautifull game, I just think GMT shouldn't have change their mind in the middle of the production. Now I got units with & without symbols ... too bad.

In my arrogant opinion: whatever the critics of the players (and even if I am myself 50/50 about putting symbols or not) GMT should have stick to their original choice.

And even if GMT give us new stickers in the future: It's not very funny to think about redoing all our work!

However: there are much bigger problems on this poor planet and I think this game is a marvelous success in the so difficult seek of the famous balance REALISM/PLAYABILITY!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
StevenE Smooth Sailing...
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I too find it irritating that this has happened.

I do like the symbols but not the fact I now have inconsistent stickers.

I think GMT should provide an icon sticker sheet to update existing blocks.

I truly appreciate that GMT was listening... but unfortunately the execution leaves more desireable reults.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
StevenE wrote:
I too find it irritating that this has happened.

I do like the symbols but not the fact I now have inconsistent stickers.

I think GMT should provide an icon sticker sheet to update existing blocks.

I truly appreciate that GMT was listening... but unfortunately the execution leaves more desireable reults.

QFT.

Though I think the more likely solution (if they do this) is make us buy a C3i magazine with them included. I would be fine with that.

As an aside, I am getting a bit upset with the 2nd edition updates correct more than errors lately. Makes me want to cancel my participation in the P500 program.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ColtsFan76 wrote:

QFT.

Wow!!!! That's a bit strong for not knowing me... and then essentially agreeing with me.

ColtsFan76 wrote:

Though I think the more likely solution (if they do this) is make us buy a C3i magazine with them included. I would be fine with that.

Wouldn't be an option for me... Just slip a small icon sheet in the next expansion, or better yet revised stickers for affected blocks.

ColtsFan76 wrote:

As an aside, I am getting a bit upset with the 2nd edition updates correct more than errors lately. Makes me want to cancel my participation in the P500 program.

I feel the same way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
StevenE wrote:
ColtsFan76 wrote:

QFT.

Wow!!!! That's a bit strong for not knowing me... and then essentially agreeing with me.

um... QFT = quoted for truth. I'd call it an internet "amen."

not sure what you thought it meant - but I can only imagine...

(quit f-ing talking, maybe? lol)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My bad... Whew... Glad it's Friday

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Read the rulebook, plan for all contingencies, and…read the rulebook again.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think the status of the units and what they do has changed. There simply isn't (yet?) an icon for Guard units. Were they to develop one, the British Guard Grenadiers should have both a "Grenadier" icon and a "Guard" icon. The Young Guard should keep their "Light Infantry" icon and pick up the "Guard" icon. If we ever see any Guard Horse Artillery, it should have the "Horse Artillery" icon and the "Guard" icon.

I see the icons that GMT developed helping both sides in a game. It reminds you what benefits or abilities your units posses, and reminds your opponent that a particular unit he can't readily read is not your run-of-the-mill of Infantry, Cavalry, or Artillery. They're certainly a help to new players or those unacquainted with the period.

For folks with the icon-less base sets, you can still sift in a block of the appropriate type with the correct icon when setting up units for a game. For example, if you're putting together a French Grenadier unit, not every block would need to sport the icon. At least one ought to, but nothing changes and the information is still conveyed.

As much as I love and play the game, my table still sets up games where one side or the other will unwittingly swap a Line unit for a listed Light unit. Or forget to add the fifth block for units like the Spanish Light Infantry or the British Guard Grenadiers. I know that GMT changed up the abbreviations in their scenario set-ups (Line infantry is now LN instead of LI.) But we still forget once in awhile.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
phd phdphd
msg tools
I HATE these ugly symbols!!!

They totally ruin the magnificent artwork of Pascal Da Silva (I'm afraid he was asked by GMT to add the symbols and therefore to ruin his own work).

What a foolish idea! The blocks are meant to give the visual impression of armies facing each other. Now we will have armies with giant f.....g helmets or grenades floating above them. WTF!

C&C Napoleonics players CAN read and CAN understand that Cuirassiers are heavy cavalry!

GMT should have used their time and energy to correct mistakes in the charts and to check whether the terrain tiles were not too thin!

Sorry, but this makes me mad.angry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guillaume Gleize
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you think they will release a new base game with the new symbols included (and when)? Or will they release special extra stickers ... included or not in the next expansion?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Read the rulebook, plan for all contingencies, and…read the rulebook again.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought it said in the new Spanish expansion booklet that they would add the new symbols to the the reprinted stickers in the second edition of the base game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Orion J.N. Winder
United States
Holly Hill
South Carolina
flag msg tools
ALL ACCESS - ALL THE TIME - DON'T EVEN ASK
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep, don't like the "blotches" either, and EXPECIALLY when they're different from the base game.

NOT GOOD!!!

(as to mistaking Lines and Lights, I'd thought about a dot on top, or something easily spotted, but not defacing the image on the face of the block.)shake yuk

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Duke
United States
Wynne
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, score one for "like them." The images are fine for me and I think they will help some folks who aren't that solid on Napoleonic terminology.

The artist almost but didn't quite use illustration style to help us with things (most of the heavy cavalry is at a walk, light at a gallup, but not all. Most lights have a kneeling, firing figure, but not all. Etc.)

I particularly like them redoing the abbreviations on scenarios-- "LI" for "Line" made me crazy.

Yes, I'm sorry my base game doesn't have them (and don't know that I'd consider restickering) but I'd rather have the system move forward smarter than be locked into a 'wish we'd done it that way when we started' mind set.

Ancients base game has gone into, what, 5 printings? I don't know if CCNap will last that long or be that popular, but I certainly expect a reprint.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angelus Seniores
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Its annoying they came up with this after the first print, but even more annoying is that only some units get icons and other dont.
I feel that either give no units symbols or give them to all.
I do find that giving replacement stickers with the magazine or in their webshop would be nice, I'm not buying a new copy, just for that.

regarding the guard units, I think the best way is to encircle the unit symbol with a laurel.
this way you keep the same symbol for unit type while removing the need for 2 symbols. like "a" and "@"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.