Recommend
2 
 Thumb up
 Hide
14 Posts

Dragon Rampage» Forums » General

Subject: I am VERY intrigued, but where's the rules now that it's released??? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Justin Robben
United States
Spring Hill
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello anyone and everyone who has played the game!

I think this might go over well with my family but am a tad concerned that we have had no rules to peruse. And the game was released...so what gives?

Anyone have any ideas/thoughts pertaining to the rules? Play testers?
Anyone have it already?

Any help/insight would do; thanks in advance!

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Purple Paladin

California
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Ya, we have been waiting for any review, session report or even the rulebook.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Knepper
United States
Huntsville
Alabama
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Kalidor wrote:
Hello anyone and everyone who has played the game!

I think this might go over well with my family but am a tad concerned that we have had no rules to peruse. And the game was released...so what gives?

Anyone have any ideas/thoughts pertaining to the rules? Play testers?
Anyone have it already?

Any help/insight would do; thanks in advance!


I played the prototype twice with Richard Launius at an Atlanta Games Fest in 2010. Richard likes a lot of dice and likes smacking dragons, or getting smacked by them. I saw his production copy at last month's Atlanta Game Fest, but did not get to play it.

As to the rules, Eagle-Gryphon Games it appears the policy is not to post rules on their website, but allow them to be posted on BGG. So, I'm guessing that they will allow Richard to post them eventually.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Denman
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't tell you where the rulebook is, but I played it at BGG Con 2011 in November if you have any questions.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty Devine
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I've had it sitting in my pile of games since right after Christmas, and I haven't had a chance to play it yet.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Robben
United States
Spring Hill
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Trump wrote:
I can't tell you where the rulebook is, but I played it at BGG Con 2011 in November if you have any questions.



Oh great!

1) Well, for one...what would it compare to in a general sense?

2) Was it fun?

3) How "heavy" was it? Family game, I assume?

4) Are you interested in playing again? Owning it?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dana R.
United States
Claremont
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
Devotium Popcornicus
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I seldom purchase a game without reading a few good words about it from the good folks at BGG but I did with this one only because of who's name is associated with it. I just received it the other day and hope to get it played this coming week. The first thing I noticed is the board is different from what is displayed here presently. I just took a quick picture of it and hopefully accepted soon for all to view.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Denman
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Kalidor wrote:
Trump wrote:
I can't tell you where the rulebook is, but I played it at BGG Con 2011 in November if you have any questions.



Oh great!

1) Well, for one...what would it compare to in a general sense?

2) Was it fun?

3) How "heavy" was it? Family game, I assume?

4) Are you interested in playing again? Owning it?


1) You roll the dice. There's a "bad" face (Dragon Rampage) that locks a die. You keep what you choose from the others. I forget if you can just re-roll a couple of more times or as often as you feel like it, keeping in mind, that the "bad" face will lock a die. Eventually, you mark your score and pass all of the dice. Everyone gets a turn and then you check majorities. I'll create an example turn and post it later for you to check out and it'll be more clear what you are rolling and why you are rolling it. But basically, everyone's going to roll, mark their progress in various categories, and then get something. You keep doing round after round until either the dragon is dead or someone has escaped the dungeon.

2/4) We played with 5 players. One of them was immediately ready to purchase afterwards. Another didn't care for it, but would play if asked. I'm not sure about those other two. I liked it enough to play more, but I don't have to make a purchase decision since I game with the first guy anyway. I thought it was fun because rather than simply going for certain rolls, you cared what others had. For example, if two other players already made great rolls for Gain Treasure, I'm not even going to waste my time trying for that this round.

3) I can definitely see playing this with the family. There are cards so children would need help reading them maybe. Some abilities do allow you to zap another player, so if your son was the sort to get his feelings hurt if daddy steals his gold, then maybe that's a problem. But all of the business about rolling the dice would work great. Mommy's rolled two Flees? Little Timmy is ALL about beating Mommy's score there so he gets to run faster that turn.
2 
 Thumb up
0.25
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Denman
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Slabcity wrote:
I seldom purchase a game without reading a few good words about it from the good folks at BGG but I did with this one only because of who's name is associated with it. I just received it the other day and hope to get it played this coming week. The first thing I noticed is the board is different from what is displayed here presently. I just took a quick picture of it and hopefully accepted soon for all to view.


I think the board pictured here is the special Essen edition board. I'll be interested in seeing what yours looks like.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Robben
United States
Spring Hill
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Super helpful Trump!

Thanks for making the effort. I'm sure I'm not the only appreciative one.

This sounds, so far, like something my family would enjoy. My kids are a tad older (9 and 11). I sure wish a full rulebook was available to get an even better idea though.

Oh well, enough qq on my part. My thanks, again!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Knepper
United States
Huntsville
Alabama
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Trump wrote:
Slabcity wrote:
I seldom purchase a game without reading a few good words about it from the good folks at BGG but I did with this one only because of who's name is associated with it. I just received it the other day and hope to get it played this coming week. The first thing I noticed is the board is different from what is displayed here presently. I just took a quick picture of it and hopefully accepted soon for all to view.


I think the board pictured here is the special Essen edition board. I'll be interested in seeing what yours looks like.


Link to picture of board on Eagle-Gryphon Games website: http://www.eaglegames.net/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=EGL...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dana R.
United States
Claremont
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
Devotium Popcornicus
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Aging One wrote:
Trump wrote:
Slabcity wrote:
I seldom purchase a game without reading a few good words about it from the good folks at BGG but I did with this one only because of who's name is associated with it. I just received it the other day and hope to get it played this coming week. The first thing I noticed is the board is different from what is displayed here presently. I just took a quick picture of it and hopefully accepted soon for all to view.


I think the board pictured here is the special Essen edition board. I'll be interested in seeing what yours looks like.


Link to picture of board on Eagle-Gryphon Games website: http://www.eaglegames.net/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=EGL...


That's not the board that is shipped with game.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Knepper
United States
Huntsville
Alabama
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Since I don't have my copy yet, all I know is what is on the website and what was in the copy Richard had, which I thought looked similar to the picture on the website.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Launius
United States
Johns Creek
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
All - Thank you for your interest in the game and I will talk with Eagle Games about getting a PDF of the rules and final board posted. We revised the board for the final publication to enhance layout & color, and make action resolution more intuitive since now there is a box for each hero token that gains a benefit from each action - so the new board varies from the posted pre-released board slightly.

I will be posting some strategy tips in the near future for each of the 6 heroes provided in the game and well as a "Should I run or Should I stay" article on how to use the path to the dungeon exit effectively even if your primary strategy is to slay the dragon.

Once again thanks for your interest, and if you enjoy a fantasy game with just a little bit of good-hearted "take that", shifting strategies, heroes with different skill decks & abilities, and enjoy throwing a fist full of dice each turn, then you would most likely enjoy Dragon Rampage.

Richard
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.