United States
La Habra
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just saw someone promoting yet another CCG via Kickstarter in the hot deals forum. I'm honestly curious. Why on earth do people still play them when there are excellent LCGs available where you don't have to waste money chasing rares?

It seems to me that CCGs exist for one reason, to suck as much money out of you as possible. They even create worthless cards as filler just so you'll be required to buy more crap. If I want to play Puerto Rico, I don't have to buy 5 copies just to get enough components to have fun. I own exactly one copy of each of the LotR's LCG expansions. I didn't have to buy a case of each expansion in order to enjoy myself.

I've never understood why CCGs are so popular. Why do people still waste money on them?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G Schulteis
United States
Bourbonnais
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The same reason people waste money on LCGs when there are regular CGs available.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wyant
United States
Spindale
NC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it is based on the nature of the hunt and the chase.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter
United States
Carol Stream
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
Casual Gamer
badge
You'll get over it.
mbmbmbmbmb
I can certainly see the OP's point of view. When you make direct comparisons the amount of money a collector/core player spends on a CCG vs an LCG is quite a bit different. Though I understand even with LCGs the investment can become significant based on the number of expansion released. It just doesn't compare to having to spend $50 to $100 on a box of boosters and having to buy at least 4 boxes to have a hope of getting a complete set. (Every few months even.)

It causes me to shake my head as well. I will never get into another CCG again. And I find it hard to believe in today's competition that upstart CCG publishers can even find a viable market unless the hold a popular license. (i.e. Star Wars, Star Trek, etc.)

Regardless, there is a herd mentality to buying CCGs. If the kids in one area are into a particular CCG, then all the kids tend to be in it. My nephew is just outgrowing this phase of gaming, (thank the maker). But while he was into it, all his friends competed not only while playing, but even in comparing their collections to each other. If one kid got the $20.00 chase rare, all the others had to go out and buy it too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My guess is because the people that spend money on them don't view it as a waste.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie F III
United States
North Catasauqua
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For me, I play Magic. However, it stays on my kitchen table. I'm not about to go out and play a Limited or Modern format. I don't have the money or time to stay up on all the expansions. I have a few boxes I collected over the years and my kids and I will put a few decks together and play that way.

If I do go out to play it will be a draft event so the playing field is level at the beginning. Do I pick wrong cards because I am not all into it. Sure, but I pick the cards I want and know will be fun at the kitchen table. I'll take one night of losing to add to many nights of fun at home with the kids.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally, I hate the CCG model and do not buy any.

LCGs though are fine with me, and the costs are nowhere near comparable. Maybe being a very casual player is, but you can have a COMPLETE set of cards in an LCG for a very small fraction of what you'd spend to have a complete set in a CCG. It's not just apples and oranges, it's apples and orangutans.

As for why: Some of us really like designing decks, armies, etc... Exactly what is wrong with spending $X on one game with a huge amount of added variety and depth through monthly expansions and spending the same $X hopping from one euro game to another and never really drinking deeply of any of them?

If you haven't guessed, I have no issue with someone having "their game" that they play over and over for years. You may play other stuff on the side, but something like an LCG, minis wargame, etc... that has continually updated content has the potential to be so much more satisfying over the long run than tiny nibbles of dozens of individual games you get tired of a month later.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CJ
United Kingdom
Colchester
flag msg tools
badge
mb
thechairman wrote:
The same reason people waste money on LCGs when there are regular CGs available.

The first thing I thought of when I saw the op.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
La Habra
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thechairman wrote:

The money spent on regular card games and LCGs doesn't even begin to compare to that spent on CCGs...

The only difference between a CCG and an LCG is that the LCG gives you every card in one box. An LCG doesn't force you to buy 5 boxes hoping for a complete set.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clare Cannon
Wales
Trefforest
Mid Glamorgan
flag msg tools
mb
Quote:
Why do people still waste money on them?

Simply because that is NOT an opinion everybody shares.

If was all liked the same things the world would be a much more boring place.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
La Habra
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
exparrot wrote:
Quote:
Why do people still waste money on them?

Simply because that is NOT an opinion everybody shares.

If was all liked the same things the world would be a much more boring place.

So you'd prefer to buy 5 boxes of a game rather than one in order to have a complete set of cards? How much money would people save if every Magic expansion was released in one box?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Morgan
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Boogalou wrote:
thechairman wrote:

The money spent on regular card games and LCGs doesn't even begin to compare to that spent on CCGs...

If it's not your money, why do you care?

There are lots of reasons to spend money on a CCG - as many as there are to buy an LCG or a stand-alone card game. People play them because they enjoy them, enjoy the tournament scene, or like the collectable aspect. The artwork on recent Magic sets is top-notch and the developers have done a great job of tightening up the rules in recent years. There are formats out there that don't require (or allow) rare cards to be competitive, and it's possible with preconstructed sets and inexpensive third-party common/uncommon playsets to get into these games with minimal expense.

I don't understand why people have such issues with what others do with their money.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
La Habra
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
EitherOrlok wrote:

I don't understand why people have such issues with what others do with their money.

I have a problem with the business model. Why not release every Magic expansion in one box? Why force people to buy worthless duplicates?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Morgan
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Boogalou wrote:
I have a problem with the business model. Why not release every card in one box? Why force people to buy worthless duplicates?

Who, exactly, is forcing people to buy these cards?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brook Gentlestream
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Most CCG players are not people looking to build a complete set or getting the ultra-rare chase card that their friends have. They may hope for it, but this desire doesn't necessarly motivate their purchasing decisions.

Rather, the desire to purchase a new CCG product is to see what you will get next, or to spice up a collection when it gets boring. It's very similiar to the reasoning behind buying an expansion in any game - you don't usually know exactly what's in it, but you know it will add more variety to your existing game and that's what you're looking for in the moment of purchase.

Also, CCGs have a culture around them governed by trading that other games simply don't offer. Finally, as someone earlier pointed out, no game can meet the sheer depth and variety of a game that you can customize with an endless assortment of mini-expansions.

But it's not like most players are trying to "collect them all" or buy as much as they need to in order to get the new super-ultra-rare -- for most players, they just want to pop $10 or $20 down on a mini-expansion and see what they get.

Personally, I think more games could benefit from having a customizable "mini-expansion" release model.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Wharton
United States
Thomasville
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Because it can be fun opening a pack and seeing what you got. Random can sometimes be more interesting. I remember ruining the fun of CCG's by looking up a list of all available cards.

Also, why would you need to collect a full set in a CCG? You just need enough cards to build good/fun decks and enjoy yourself. Sure you end up with a lot of crap, but it's more exciting finding something special.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
La Habra
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
EitherOrlok wrote:
Boogalou wrote:
I have a problem with the business model. Why not release every card in one box? Why force people to buy worthless duplicates?

Oh please, you understand what I meant...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Morgan
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Boogalou wrote:
EitherOrlok wrote:
Boogalou wrote:

Oh please, you understand what I meant...

I most certainly don't. There is a booming market for single cards, and trading at events. You don't need to buy a bunch of card packs to pick up that one card you want.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brook Gentlestream
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Boogalou wrote:
EitherOrlok wrote:

I have a problem with the business model. Why not release every Magic expansion in one box? Why force people to buy worthless duplicates?

The LCG offers the same business model, if not worse. You may know exactly what box has the specific card you are looking for, but to acquire it you may have to purchase an entire box of cards you don't want. Worse, you may have to buy a box you've already bought because it doesn't include enough of the particular card you are looking for.

This is a problem with the common/uncommon/rare distribution, not the randomization. It's a problem shared by LCGs and CCGs alike.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter
United States
Carol Stream
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
Casual Gamer
badge
You'll get over it.
mbmbmbmbmb
Boogalou wrote:
EitherOrlok wrote:

As a business, the answer seems obvious. But I agree that this business model leaves a bad taste in my mouth. Yet its obviously a very successful business model so we can't claim companies are dong bad business following it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
La Habra
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
EitherOrlok wrote:
I most certainly don't.

shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter
United States
Carol Stream
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
Casual Gamer
badge
You'll get over it.
mbmbmbmbmb
Drudiusmaximus wrote:
Also, why would you need to collect a full set in a CCG? You just need enough cards to build good/fun decks and enjoy yourself.

You have to be a completest collector or hard core player to understand. In the latter case you often need multiples of the hardest to obtain cards to remain competitive in competition play. Ultimately, the publishers of CCGs know their customers are going to end up buying many more cards than they actually need in order to obtain complete sets. That's the entire point of variable rarity.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie F III
United States
North Catasauqua
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Boogalou wrote:
EitherOrlok wrote:

Sometimes you need duplicates. In MTG you can have up to 4 of the same card in a deck (except a Planeswalker).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
lordrahvin wrote:
The LCG offers the same business model, if not worse. You may know exactly what box has the specific card you are looking for, but to acquire it you may have to purchase an entire box of cards you don't want. Worse, you may have to buy a box you've already bought because it doesn't include enough of the particular card you are looking for.

This is a problem with the common/uncommon/rare distribution, not the randomization. It's a problem shared by LCGs and CCGs alike.

You may be unaware of this, but all the LCG expansion packs now contain 3x (the maximum playable number) of each card in them. There is no such thing as a Rare or a card that comes with insufficient copies.

Granted, this did used to exist in the earliest days of LCGs, but hasn't for a long time and older packs have almost all been reprinted into the modern 3x format by now.

Edit: Speaking of having to buy one thing to get another... That's true of most games. Maybe I've got an older edition and just want the updated cards. Maybe I want the War of the Ring jumbo game board but I don't want to pay for all the painted minis. Maybe I have my own dice so I'd like to buy a game without any to save money. I can't buy the Master Midori Yomi deck without paying for Setsuki either. Nope, I'm pretty much out of luck in all these cases.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brook Gentlestream
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Astinex wrote:
Drudiusmaximus wrote:
Also, why would you need to collect a full set in a CCG? You just need enough cards to build good/fun decks and enjoy yourself.

You have to be a completest collector or hard core player to understand. In the latter case you often need multiples of the hardest to obtain cards to remain competitive in competition play. Ultimately, the publishers of CCGs know their customers are going to end up buying many more cards than they actually need in order to obtain complete sets. That's the entire point of variable rarity.

The rarity set isn't just to make completists buy junk -- it's also a reward mechanism for more casual buyers. You buy a pack, and you get rewarded with... a Shivan Dragon. Awesome! Maybe we should buy a few more and see what we get!

LCGs on the other hand, are obviously built with completists in mind. You want four Shivan Dragons? Buy four copies of of our new large-box Living Drakes set. Nevermind that you'll have a dozen Dino Eggs you can't use.

For a CCG player, they're buying a pack, not just to get a Shivan Dragon, but just in hopes of getting something new, something exciting, something they don't have or haven't seen before.

I think completists will gladly move on from CCGs to LCGs, but for most typical gamers, the CCG offers the more rewarding and accessible fix for their addiction. (At least until they discover Innovation and Citadels, and start wondering about maybe picking up a board game or two...)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.