BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Do you own too many games? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
p55carroll
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
"And you won't know a thing till you get inside." (Mystery lyrics; name that song.)
badge
"Drizzle, drazzle, drozzle, drome; time for this one to come home."
mbmbmbmbmb
I just saw a post that got me curious, so I have to ask:

Poll
Do you own too many games?
Yes
Probably
Maybe
No
      607 answers
Poll created by Patrick Carroll

Poll
Do you expect, a year from now, to own more games? Or fewer?
More
About the Same Number
Fewer
      605 answers

Poll
How do you feel about the answers you gave above?
Happy
Neutral
Sad
      581 answers

Feel free to elaborate on your reply and discuss the thread question.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It is not possible to own too many games, just as it is not possible to own too much money.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Wenerstrom
United States
Riverton
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I put "probably". All my games do not get regular play (once every 3 months), so I probably have too many. However, I do not see myself disposing of a significant portion of my games any time soon. There also seem to always be games I would like to try, which leads to more purchases.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Klinck
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I probably have too many games, because I have a hard time getting around to playing them all often enough.

However, I have very few "extra" games, because there are hardly any I have that I don't want to play (at least, in some context).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucius Cornelius
United States
HONOLULU
Hawaii
flag msg tools
badge
Lord Protector of Nothing in Particular
mbmbmbmbmb
It's not too many games; it is too little space-time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My hope is to own fewer. My fear is to own more. Probably, I'll own the same amount. shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
p55carroll
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
"And you won't know a thing till you get inside." (Mystery lyrics; name that song.)
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Added a third poll, in case any early responders are interested.

I'm sure I own too many games--more than I'll ever get around to playing in the rest of my life. If I did manage to play them all, I'd only play each one once or twice--and I hate the thought of being such a dabbler, so that makes me sad.

I'm always trying to rein in my new- and used-game purchases, but curiosity often gets the best of me.

I'd like to own just a few games so I could focus on learning and playing those, without getting distracted by the temptation to play so many others.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Jones
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
Yeah it's here! Really it's right here.
mbmbmbmbmb
mb

I do have a 'slight' storage issue right now, but it's not as much the number of games, but my free time to get them all reorganized.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patar Absurdus the Shananigator
United States
Carrollton
TX
flag msg tools
"Gird Up Your Loins, Like a Man!" ~God to Job
badge
"We're put on this earth to do a job. And each of us gets the time we get to do it. And when this life is over and you stand in front of the Lord... Well, you try tellin' him it was all some Frenchman's joke." ~Betsy Solverson
mbmbmbmbmb
As of 4pm CST USA this poll has been visited by 42 pollsters but recieved 3 thumbs.

I just don't get it. Polls are fun and take work. Hook the guy up with some thumbs, yo!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregory Amstutz
United States
Chula Vista
California
flag msg tools
All I want to do when i wake up in the morning is see your eyes. Roseanna, Roseanna. I never thought a girl like you could ever care for me.
badge
Just got back from the down town Palais where the music was so sweet it knocked me right back in the alley, I'm ready. Yea, yea, yea, I'm ready. Wo, Wo, wo, I'm ready, and I'm really gonna rock tonight.
mbmbmbmbmb
My philosophy is a small (under 100 games) collection, frequently played. If I have a game that I never play, I'll (with 1 or 2 notable exceptions) get rid of it. Yes, it means that I end up playing the same games over and over, but I'm OK with that.

Edit: current total between wife and I is 73, so no, I don't own too many.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Jones
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
Yeah it's here! Really it's right here.
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think I own too many games.

I've been through lean years where I couldn't buy new games and know those times are coming again, so there will be plenty of 'new' games in my library to explore then.

Plus, I don't by games just for my enjoyment, but for the enjoyment of my friends too. There are some games that I've not been able to play, but that doesn't mean they've gone unplayed.

In some ways that makes me a bit sad. I'm happy my friends got to try them, but when they decide they don't like them, it makes it harder for me to get them played.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Debien
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My collection has stabilized at around 100 games (BGG says 124, but I am not counting expansions). I am quite happy with that number and it fills my game shelf perfectly (with a few unplayed games in the closet). I feel that I have a game for every occasion and player count. From 20010-2011, I spent close the $1800 on games. 2012, I suspect, will be closer to $150-200, with a whopping $0 spent so far, probably the longest I have gone without purchasing a game in over 2 years. I am no longer in game acquisition mode and only have a couple games on my wishlist that I intend to purchase this year. It feels good to not always be shopping for games and to be happy with what I have.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent T.
United States
Zionsville
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I rarely get to play any of my games that I want to play, I have to cater to the wee kids. So I can't say playing a game in a reasonable amount of time means I have "too many". I like to play all of them though, just in case the opportunity comes up so that means to me that I have just the right amount.

But don't ask my wife.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jes m
United States
tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think I'd RATHER own games than money.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
p55carroll
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Redward wrote:
As of 4pm CST USA this poll has been visited by 42 pollsters but recieved 3 thumbs.

I just don't get it. Polls are fun and take work. Hook the guy up with some thumbs, yo!

Ssh! I'm just glad that so far no one has complained about yet another useless poll. Someone usually does.

But I agree they can be fun. Thanks for the support.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Twice
Spain
flag msg tools
mb
Number-wise no, but I have gotten too many games in a very short time and they are all getting stuck at a bottleneck.

I own nine games right now. Most are firmly set in our group but at least Chicago Express, Liberté and InterUrban aren't and Car Wars is completely brand new. Four games out of nine is a bad number, specially when Scarab Kings (2P only) and Arkham Horror (Doesn't fit normal rotation) don't count.

Right now my plan is to play Chicago Express and Liberté another five times to get them rolling again while setting up ocasional Car Wars events as a side event to our Warhammer 40K games. This only leaves InterUrban without a specific plan but it's quick, easy and short so just by having it around it will see a lot of play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cast Ll'tor
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sadly, I have purchased way too many games over the past decade. Some of which will never get played.

When I have time (or the ability, not sure which), I will have to go through all of my games, and sort them into the various themes, mechanics/mechanisms and only keep one or two of each.

For example, how many worker placement games do I need? Which one or two should I keep? What's the best dexterity game? Tile laying? Wargame?

Sad thing is, I don't know how to organize them into each category like this. But, when I do, I'll make a list of the 10 or so categories of games (or mechanisms or whatever you want to call them) and keep the top two or three or my personal favourites, then get rid of the rest.

I no longer have the room to get more games and I would rather my kids have a few favourites to play than be overwhelmed by what's in the storage area.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Burnett
United States
Victorville
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you feel you own too many games, I am accepting donations. whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Looking at these stars suddenly dwarfed my own troubles and all the gravities of terrestrial life. I thought of their unfathomable distance, and the slow inevitable drift of their movements out of the unknown past into the unknown future. H.G. Wells
badge
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. Chief Seattle
mbmbmbmbmb
I own more games than are necessary. I have a lot of unplayed games, and games I have outgrown. And if we move beyond board games and include video games, well I own way more games than I need.

But you never know what game you will want to play next, right?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Koeppen
United States
Bellevue
Nebraska
flag msg tools
LEGO: Hopeful for new 'Castle' sets in 2015!
badge
Games: Regarding my favorite theme of 'Fantasy', I'm hoping for fewer 'card' games and more 'board' games.
mbmbmbmbmb
I said that I do not have too many games. Purchasing games is not negatively impacting my finances or space, I enjoy them, and am looking forward to purchasing/playing more.

I said that I expect to own more games. Games are something I enjoy playing and collecting, and there are many more I am still looking out for.

I am happy about my answers because I feel good about my games and my hobby.

The only time any of these answers would change is if my purchasing started to impact my finances/space so that any other important part of my life began to suffer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ms Aura

California
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I own too many games because most of them are not played. Some are still in shrink. So my answer makes me feel sad.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance Peterson
United States
Tallahassee
Florida
flag msg tools
schwartz!
badge
My hovercraft is full of eels!
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Do you own too many games?

I'm afraid I don't understand the question. Could you please explain the concept of "too many games".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Phillips Beckerman
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's just crazy talk.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jean Gagnier
Canada
Montréal
Québec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I own too many games, and I expect to have the same next year. I'm trying to sell off a bunch of my games, but even if I've somewhat succeeded, I'd like to get rid of more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Fitzgerald
United States
Mazomanie
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It is possible to own too many games. The things you own own you remember.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.