Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kirk Mathes
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just got my starter box for Lord of the Rings HeroClix, and let me tell you, I'm impressed. I've done a several CMGs in the past, but this is right up there in terms of quality of the models.

I usually don't feel the need to re-paint pre-painted models, but in this case I feel like they are already so good, I want to just add a little bit of highlighting or an armor wash to the existing paint. I think just a little bit more detail would really make them pop. Whereas, most CMGs, it's been more like, completely redo it, or just accept that they look like a factory painted them.

Usually on pre-painted, I think you're still supposed to prime, and re-paint the entire model, but I thought I'd bring it up here to see if anyone's tried it with any success. It'd be far easier just to wash them quick to add some more depth and definition...

Something else that struck me as odd: It actually seemed somehow 'right' to have M. Bison standing back to back with the Witch King of Angmar...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Anderson
United States
Ennis
Montana
flag msg tools
There is nothing better than playing board games with my 4 sons!
badge
There is nothing better than playing board games with my 4 sons!
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree, these minis are really nice. I was surprised by the quality. They could use a nice light ink wash to show some of the details that are there, but I don't know how to do that easily without messing up the bases.

D.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Taylor
United States
Venice
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow! I was really looking forward to this game, but when I saw the quality of the figures in the starter set I decided to take a pass. I think the old Sabertooth figures were FAR better.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Price
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
Member of the San Francisco Game Group since 2005
badge
This is a customized Bane Tower from the game Man o' War
mbmb
I've had bad experiences washing pre-painted minis. The wash doesn't settle well, and the mini ends up looking worse. Like maybe they've put some sort of paint-resistant varnish/finish on 'em.

Has anyone tried washing these guys, and did it work OK?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I also think the Combat Hex game had nicer mini's that were more detailed, better painted, and in the correct size ratio.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Mathes
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I don't really feel like trying to track down a lot of models for an out of print system, so I've tried washing one of these with an armor wash. I washed it first in soapy water and then went over the armor. It looks good so far, I'm not sure how it will hold up, but I'm sure if I coated it in a clear coat it should be fine. So in case anyone else wants to try, so far I haven't had too much trouble.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.