Subject: Learning on my own rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Spacegras
Canada
St. John's
NL
flag msg tools
Bring on the hordes, we have the sword that smote the Goblin of Gygaxnor.
badge
HooDoo Operator
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey there,
well I finally received my copy for Christmas and after reading the rule book and the play book, I have set up the first scenario.
I did not set up the learning scenario as described in the Extended example of play.
Should I have? Probably, huh?
I have come to realize that I don't know where to begin learning this on my own.
I have had a few issues in the set up, namely the number of aircraft matched up with the carrier.The counters don't seem to fit the description of the setup sheet. I'm probably missing something.

If you've taught this to yourself, in order to be able to explain it to new opponent, how did you tackle the game?

I downloaded the Vassal files, and when I loaded the module for the same scenario, I noticed that on the force cards there are way more TF's and Convoys than appear in the actual scenario list.
Why?

I'm probably and most likely at fault for missing something in the rules while trying to parse as much as possible as quickly as possible, so be kind in any admonishments.

Chris

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Taylor
United States
Unspecified
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The aircraft in the setup instructions can be tricky because

1. The nunbers are steps, not necessarily counters. If a carrier has 3 Albacores, it's in one 2-step counter and one 1-step counter, not 3 counters.

2. In some scenarios the unit ID does not match that on the counter. It's sufficient to get the right aircraft type and number of steps.

The Task Force, Convoy, and Wolfpack boxes on the Force Display give you the option to split your forces that many ways. In some larger scenarios you might need (or want) to use them all, but in the earlier scenarios you won't.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spacegras
Canada
St. John's
NL
flag msg tools
Bring on the hordes, we have the sword that smote the Goblin of Gygaxnor.
badge
HooDoo Operator
mbmbmbmbmb
hey all,
I've come back to this after having quite a lot of trouble trying to learn it on my own in January.

I'm figuring it out.

Alot of the trouble was trying to learn this from start to finish solo. Planning, is not totally necessary for the learning. At least I don't think it is. The biggest thing is to get moving, get those convoys and task-forces out to sea and moving to the preset destinations. Get those wolf-packs and ships out to sea and hunt down the convoys.

You'll see how the ships move, how recon works, and eventually how combat will unfold. Moving your blocks, you get Ice effects, weather rolls, random events and shadowing.

Have I seen all those things yet? No. but I'm going to. Which is far better than trying to get though rules without the action on the table.

Sometimes it takes pushing counters to actually introduce you to the rules.

I am still working my way through the rules, haven't been in combat yet, though I'm about to, haven't had air units make an attack yet. Not sure I'm following everything correctly, but piece by piece it's coming together and I'll fill in the blanks and fix the errors later.

Once I have it figured out, I'll attempt to teach it, but I'm going to skip the planning in the explanation, just tell him the destination and we'll go from there. once we get one done like that, intro the planning and it's effects on the game as a whole and do the first scenario again. When will this happen? No idea, but the main thing is, where once I was frustrated and putting the game away for a while, now I'm playing and planning on planning.

Is it that tough of a game? I'm finding it tough,which is an anomaly for me for the most part, but It really isn't that complex, just different. Different enough for me to wind up thrown for a loop.

Thanks for listening to me give myself a possibly misguided pat on the back. Chris has designed a very interesting and detailed game and it deserves more attention than I think it has gotten.

Chris

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Workman
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Keep at it, it's worth it. It's not that hard but it is different.

Oh, and go Pens! Catch the Rangers for that #1 seed!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Janiec
United States
(Teller County)
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Quote:
Once I have it figured out, I'll attempt to teach it, but I'm going to skip the planning in the explanation, just tell him the destination and we'll go from there.

You might try this: do the Allied planning for whatever scenario you're trying to teach ahead of time. Then start the convoy(s) and TFs in the planned location(s), with one Dummy in a plausible location next to each. If your opponent is the Allied player (which I don't recommend the first time out), allow him to swap adjacent real and Dummy blocks as he chooses.

For example, in Scenario I, set up the Reykjavik and Seydisfjordur forces and a Dummy in 0510/0609 and a TF consisting of Arethusa and the four DDs in 0708/0808 (Fuel Warning markers Day 9 PM). Start the game on AM Day5.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.