Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tadeu Zubaran
Brazil
Porto Alegre
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am mainly an eurogamer, but I want to have at the very least one war game (assuming this is a war game and twilight struggle isn't).

My current top ranked is Wallenstein, it was an ok game, but I felt the cube tower a bit too random, and I was a bit underwhelmed to be honest.

I heard Ryan Sturm praising this game so I came to take I look (I have similar taste to his), it is big plus that I am a big fan of the game of thrones. I like nice components and using Jeremy Salinas' video as a parameter they look superb.

So any comments? How do you guys comare this in particular to Diplomacy? (it is a game I despise) Any constructive comments are appreciated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron D
United States
Davis
California
flag msg tools
Mercury is my dog's name.
badge
I like hats.
mbmbmbmbmb
tkzubaran wrote:
I am mainly an eurogamer, but I want to have at the very least one war game (assuming this is a war game and twilight struggle isn't).

My current top ranked is Wallenstein, it was an ok game, but I felt the cube tower a bit too random, and I was a bit underwhelmed to be honest.

I heard Ryan Sturm praising this game so I came to take I look (I have similar taste to his), it is big plus that I am a big fan of the game of thrones. I like nice components and using Jeremy Salinas' video as a parameter they look superb.

So any comments? How do you guys comare this in particular to Diplomacy? (it is a game I despise) Any constructive comments are appreciated.

I think this is a great game for eurogamers - it is much more a conflict euro than a standard wargame. However, a lot of the "backbone" of this game does come from Diplomacy. If you absolutely hate Diplomacy, this may not be the game for you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chun Ping
Singapore
Portland
OREGON
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
it's best to try before you buy. my group absolutely hated it after 5 plays (only the first play was good). The mechanics of the winter deck is seriously flawed and unless you are willing to use house rules, this game can breakdown in the a boring waste of time. of cos, that's speaking from someone who has an extreme bad luck with the winter deck (having our final game coming up with first 9 turns of supply) and caused my mates to throw the game away.

if you like conflict game, i would recommend Nexus Ops. that's a great war game for euros and it's being re released.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tadeu Zubaran
Brazil
Porto Alegre
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the answers.

I usually prefer indirect interaction, I despise king making prone games and unbalanced games that base the balance on bashing the leader (Dominant species).

I like strategical depth and games that you get better as you play. I like non determinism but only when it is used to limit your range of possibilities and create variability in game (i.e Troyes, Die Burgen von Burgung...) I don't like games were luck is decisive in who wins (pretty much any game that uses dice to decide combat).

I despised Diplomacy because it has only backstabbing, I saw no strategy (I may need more plays to see the strategy, but I won't try it anymore).

I know GoT is very prone to backstabbing (I think it is actually very fitting to the theme), I don't have a problem with it if it has enough strategic depth that make this backstabbing somewhat predictable and you can plan ahead.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chun Ping
Singapore
Portland
OREGON
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
tkzubaran wrote:
Thanks for the answers.

I usually prefer indirect interaction, I despise king making prone games and unbalanced games that base the balance on bashing the leader (Dominant species).

I like strategical depth and games that you get better as you play. I like non determinism but only when it is used to limit your range of possibilities and create variability in game (i.e Troyes, Die Burgen von Burgung...) I don't like games were luck is decisive in who wins (pretty much any game that uses dice to decide combat).

I despised Diplomacy because it has only backstabbing, I saw no strategy (I may need more plays to see the strategy, but I won't try it anymore).

I know GoT is very prone to backstabbing (I think it is actually very fitting to the theme), I don't have a problem with it if it has enough strategic depth that make this backstabbing somewhat predictable and you can plan ahead.

In that case i think you would absolutely hate AGOT just like my group. From your description, i think Through the Ages: A Story of Civilization fits your bill perfectly. there's war in the game and can be pretty devastating. but it's non random and you see it coming from a few turns back. you can and you should prevent war from being declared on you as long as you react and keep up your military might. It has randomness in the order the cards turn out, but other than that, everything is public knowledge. one of the best games out that that u will find
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gone C. Profile
msg tools
tkzubaran wrote:
I usually prefer indirect interaction, I despise king making prone games and unbalanced games that base the balance on bashing the leader

Yeah, I agree with cpf86, you'll hate this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julio

Hidalgo
Texas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Have you looked at Antike?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tadeu Zubaran
Brazil
Porto Alegre
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks all for the answers. Along with parallel reading of the rules, the comments of warped boards and your comments I think you successfully dissuaded me

jrescan wrote:

I read a bit about it some time ago. Looked to me as if it is regarded as a similar but inferior brother of Imperial. Will check it again now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
mbmbmbmbmb
Dr Lucky wrote:
tkzubaran wrote:

I think this is a great game for eurogamers - it is much more a conflict euro than a standard wargame. However, a lot of the "backbone" of this game does come from Diplomacy. If you absolutely hate Diplomacy, this may not be the game for you.

Perhaps I think the similarities to Diplomacy while real are decidedly overstated. The system used is similar but markedly different in fundmanetal ways-- especially the whole thing with raids which remove orders.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gil Hova
United States
Jersey City
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a Euro fan also, and I'm taking some baby steps into playing conflict-oriented games*.

What I've found is that I've enjoyed a few 2-player conflict games, but I detest multiplayer (3+ player) games. The reason is: if a game allows Player A to choose between attacking Player B and Player C, then Players B and C will proceed to whine about how the other player is a jucier target.

I can't stand that kind of metagaming. I don't find it fun. If I'm playing a game, and someone says, "Don't attack me, attack him, he's the real threat!", then chances are I'm having a crummy time.

Now, in a 2p game, this isn't an issue. It's zero-sum. Your loss is always my gain.

So if you're anything like me, then you should know that I've been having a great time with A Few Acres of Snow and Battle Lore. Both games have a good deal of conflict, but are fun, even to my Euro-snobbish ways.

* I try to use that term ever since I got lectured in a game store for calling A Few Acres of Snow a "wargame." You never know what's going to set off a bout of nerdrage. But that's probably a discussion for another thread.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven
United States
Spokane
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
"The mystery of life isn't a problem to solve, but a reality to experience"
mbmbmbmbmb
Have you ever taken a look at Here I Stand by GMT games? It's a free-for-all, asymmetrical game set during the reformation in Europe. Most of the nations have different abilities and goals. For example the Papacy and Protestant mainly fighting religiously, France and England have colonies, Ottomans have piracy etc. At the same time negotiations are a lot “richer”, because you actually can give cards, units and territories to each other.

It is a card driven game so it runs on a similar system as Twilight Struggle and the other GMT card driven games. The game cards have different uses and provide the fog of war.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hammond
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jrescan wrote:

Came here to say this. GoT will not really appeal to Euro gamers. Antike does, however.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Schuster
Germany
Bretten
Baden-Württemberg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Once you stop thinking in categories as to what you should like and what not, you will find out that AGOT is as great a game as either genre can offer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.