6 Posts

Summoner Wars: Master Set» Forums » Sessions

Subject: Round Robin Tournament - Master Set + Fallen Kingdom rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
a03 dunn
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Happy days - my Master Set and Fallen Kingdom expansion arrived in the mail, so called up the group and ran a Round Robin Summoner War last night.

We played 11 games over three rounds. Very impressed with Summoner Wars, we had a blast! Rather than go into each game, I'll give our thoughts on each faction and how they performed.

We didn't allow denial kills, and in the second round we mistakenly allowed horizontal board wrapping for 2 player games.

Deep Dwarvesthumbsdown
No one liked these guys. They were great at controlling the flow of purchasing power, but didn't seem to have anything great to buy with it. What's the point of having 7 magic in the moneybox when you've got a hand full of Scholars?

Sand Goblinsthumbsup
A fun and devious race to play as, seemed well balanced too. Well liked by the group.

Shadow Elvesthumbsup
The glass cannons. Highly mobile, high attacks, but don't let them get attached. Also well liked by the group.

Swamp Orcsthumbsup
Choke off the enemy's side with barbed wire, then bring in really nasty hero units to finish the job. Once people understood the Vine Walls, they were a strong if underappreciated faction.

Bendersthumbsupthumbsup
Wow, what a faction. Pub stomping successes with these guys, provided they managed to keep at range.

They did get annihilated one game, when the Swamp Orcs closed the gap on turn one, and summoned Blergh on turn three.

Fallen Kingdomzombie
Everyone who played against the FK said "Is it just me, or are these guys HUGELY OVERPOWERED?"

We had major issues with Legions of the Dead. That card won two games in a row. Any time Ret-Talus was actually threatened, he'd suddenly drop an army of Commons in your face and cheese it out of combat.

Further, each of the FK Commons was amazing:
-Reapers quickly escalated into scary tanks
-Skeleton Archers came back again ...and again ...and again!
-Zombies were tough and multiplied like a virus.

With commons like those who needs Champions? Oh wait, you can kill them to summon Elut-Bal and then resurrect them again! yuk

Finally, the FK had Magic Drain, a free four card swing - what more can I say?

Does anyone else think the Fallen Kingdom seem too powerful?

--------------------------------------------------

tl,dr;

Final Tournament Results
(still collecting stats, to be updated)

Round 1:
SE vs DD - SE win (comprehensive)
MV vs BD - BD win (comprehensive)
SO vs FK - SO win (barely, misuse of Dark Sacrifice by FK player)
SG vs DD - DD win (fair)

Round 2:
MV vs SE - MV win (comprehensive)
SO vs BD - SO win (comprehensive)
Another MV vs SE - MV win (fair)

Round 3:
DD vs BD - BD win (fair)
MV vs FK - FK win (Legions of the Dead)
SG vs SE - SG win (fair)
FK vs DD - FK win (Legions of the Dead)

--------------------------------------------------

Overall Stats Per Race
SE - 4 plays, 1 win
SG - 2 plays, 1 win
MV - 4 plays, 2 wins (both against SE)
FK - 3 plays, 2 wins
DD - 4 plays, 1 win
SO - 2 plays, 2 wins
BD - 3 plays, 2 wins

Edit 23/1/2012 - finalised stats
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MGS
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Warhammer: Diskwars
mbmbmbmbmb
Does anyone else think the Fallen Kingdom seem too powerful?

No, not really. The FK historically has a consistently low win:loss ratio fighting with the Vanguards for worst record. They are generally fun to play with, they have cool events and some of the best champions but the commons are kinda expensive. I would say the FK is far from overpowered.

The Deep Dwarves are harder to play effectively but they are also a ton of fun. Kynder, Gem Mage and Lun are not that hard to play effectively. Excepting Stasis, the events are useful and easy to use even though Wake of the Father Gem gets better with more plays.

Happy to hear that you had fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
KevOne
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, I believe this is the first time I hear anyone says FK is overpower... >___>

This game is very balance for such diverse factions though, so eventhough FK are never consider as "overpower". They are competitive in many ways.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Trammell
United States
Benton
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This does not overly surprise me assuming that you don't have prior summoner wars experience. In most everyone's early days, commons ruled the world and champions are tough to get out. So having magic drain, resummonable commmons, and champs that are easy to get out is a huge bonus. Thus if you are all new, Fk would seem pretty powerful.
The reverse goes for deep-dwarves, you have to be pretty adept at getting their champions out and having a load of magic, which can be difficult.

Hope you continue to enjoy! I love all the factions! (except maybe the PE)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
LSU LSU
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Seth's right,

Once you start using champs a lot the factions play much differently. And why would you not allow players to kill their own units? The FK have some really fun units, but their commons lack attack power.

The deep dwarves are actually a lot of fun once you get used to them. The trick is using the events at the right time and maximizing cards like Wake the Father Gem.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Tank
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
It seems to me that any given faction can be overpowered in a group setting. It just depends on how quickly the group picks up on one faction's strengths and how slowly they pick up on the others.

The Fallen Kingdom are pretty neat. Yes they have some pretty cool advantages. Overpowered? Nope. Not at all.

Pre-reinforcements I think they're actually a little underpowered. They have a magic advantage, and nothing to do with it (their commons don't pack any punch).

They get more competitive with their reinforcements.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.