Subject: balancing issues for objective cards rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jonathan Er
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
badge
just wanted to share some of my thoughts ( and work arounds ) for the balancing of the objective cards

personally ( and i am not the only one in my group ) i find that the plot objective cards are generally not worth the effort completing for the sheer difficulty and effort it takes to achieve it. especially in the late stages of the game

for example, for consuming 3 different colored bamboo, the giant panda objective scores you 6 points. but to attain a mere 5 points in the plot objective card, you need 4 tiles ( 2 of different colors ), in the correct placement, and all irrigated.

mathematically, the number of turns to achieve them is just skewed. the most number of turns i would take to achieve the panda card would likely be 5 turns. but the plot ? i have to depend on the luck of the draw ( when drawing plots ), i need turns to accumulate irrigation tiles, and i need to make sure no one screws with my placement. how is that worth one point less baffles me

what i have done with my group is this

Work Around 1
- scoring plot objectives as per normal with the exception that the tiles need not be irrigated

this makes them more achievable in a shorter and more realistic time frame. and most importantly, balances the effort required and the points obtained. my end game scoring was much closer than normal

problem: bamboo garden gets less irrigated and the irrigation action is seldom used.
is that a big problem ? maybe, depends on what the other players are doing. if they draw the gardener card which requires 4 shoots of 3 height bamboos, then the irrigation is happening still, but at a portion of the board

Work Around 2
- all objective cards score as per normal, but the maximum allowable completed objective cards of one type is 2 more than the lowest number of the other objective cards you completed

i couldnt phrase it properly but the idea is, for example, i can only declare 2 completed giant panda cards maximum if i have not completed 1 plot and 1 gardener card ( 2+0 = 2 maximum )

and if i have completed 1 plot and 1 gardener card, i am then allowed to complete up to 3 giant panda cards. 2+1 = 3 maximum. ( the cards are vice versa, its the number that matters )

the reason for this workaround is to prevent the spamming of the gardener and the giant panda cards since they are way easier than the plot cards. and when no-one wants to complete their plot objectives, you can imagine how small the bamboo farm is going to be.

problem: the problem with this is that it doesnt address the issue of the unbalanced plot objective card, but at least it forces everyone to complete at least one if they want to have any chance of reaching 7 objective cards

** by the way, my group has a house rule on objective cards which i find works and i wont go back to the normal rules

basically, you may draw ( or reveal from your hand ) and declare an objective card that is already completed in the garden, just that you will score half the points rounded down. so a 5 point objective card ? now only worth 2 to you. the only way to achieve the full points is to be the one to trigger the objective criteria

because my group likes the full points ( unless you are trying to end the game ), we do our best to be the one who completes it rather than the one who leeches off someone else's efforts
2 completed cards not scored fully will seldom add up to 1 fully completed card.

and lastly ( yes, this post has to end eventually ), with regards to the latest FAQ on the advanced variant rules, i just wanted to say that i strongly disagree with the amendment which affects the giant panda card

apparently, if you draw a giant panda objective card that you can complete immediately ( have the pieces on your panda board ), you must discard it.

my question is, why ? i made the effort to move the panda to consume those pieces. it was not as if someone just took it and shoved it towards me. i can understand discarded a card cos it represents said objective in the bamboo garden, it is afterall a shared area. so that could have been free points to the player who drew the card, but when i move the panda to eat the bamboo, i should not be denied my reward for drawing the card

and the initial rules also made it clear that the objectives should not be already met in the "bamboo garden".
so i thought that was clear enough. no reason to not count the giant panda card as well

just my thoughts, and how we dont follow this new ruling just for the sake of following

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
i just wanted to say that i strongly disagree with the amendment which affects the giant panda card

apparently, if you draw a giant panda objective card that you can complete immediately ( have the pieces on your panda board ), you must discard it.

my question is, why ? i made the effort to move the panda to consume those pieces. it was not as if someone just took it and shoved it towards me. i can understand discarded a card cos it represents said objective in the bamboo garden, it is afterall a shared area. so that could have been free points to the player who drew the card, but when i move the panda to eat the bamboo, i should not be denied my reward for drawing the card

thumbsup and complete agreement to this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stewart Pilling
United Kingdom
Worsley
Manchester
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We played work around 2 last night for the first time and it did work. It still feels a little unbalanced, but forcing people to do plot objectives makes for a more varied game rather than people just aiming for the tile and panda objectives.

Have also ruled that the tie breaker is plot cards over panda ones, as they are harder to get!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A S
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What they really need to do is release an updated set of plot objective cards that adds 1 or 2 to the current value they have.

So plots worth 3 should be worth 4 or 5

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.