Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Madhujith Venkatakrishna
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Its been a long time since I played this game and thought I would introduce some non-gamers today. As I was going through the rules just realized I might have been playing this game wrongly.

Here's is what I used to do:
- Take a money card (if more 5 or multiple if less than 5) & buy tile(s) & remodel all in the same turn.

However I'm now going through the rules and it says you can only do just ONE of the 3.

So it really slows down the game right?

In one turn I just take some money- my turn is done. I wait for the next turn to buy and if I don;t give the right change then my turn is again done. I've to wait for another turn to place the tile that I bought in the previous turn???

And the last thing. Say I have some tiles already placed in front of me. Can I keep redesigning the position to ensure my wall keeps growing till the last scoring round or once you keep the tile in a position it can only be removed or exchanged or replaced?

I'm kind of getting confused to say the least. Thanks for the help

Best,
Madhu
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Weiss
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can only do one of those actions per turn.

If you still don't have the right money on your next turn, them you take more money.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nico Robbemont
Belgium
Hoogstraten
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When not paying the correct change you can indeed only do one of these actions (take money card, buy tile or remodel).
But ..... placing the tile you just bought is done in the same turn. That's not the same as remodeling!

So to be complete, the possible actions are:
1. take money
2. buy a tile AND (at the end of your turn) place it
3. remodel

When buying with the correct change you get another choice of these actions in that same turn.
The placing of all bought tiles is done at the end of that same turn!

Edit:
Clarified the part on when to place the newly bought tiles.
Thanks Steve!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julius Andrikonis
Lithuania
Vilnius
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As Nico said. You take only one action of the three available, but if you buy and pay the exact amount of money (do not overpay), then you get another go and can choose either of three actions again. At most you can take 5 actions: buy 4 tiles and take money/redesign, because the tiles refresh only in the end of players turn. However, this is very unlikely, although buy 1 or even 2 tiles and take money is pretty usual turn in our plays.

As for redesign, it usually takes 2 turns (take down a tale, place the tile in another place) and is rarely done in our games. Unless some tile was bought earlier, but there were no place to put it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The other Euro guy
United Kingdom
Macclesfield
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As explained, you have been playing this wrongly. I think you will find that when you play the correct way, the game will actually speed up (not slow down).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Madhujith Venkatakrishna
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks a lot guys, just saw couple of videos and read up some player aids, will try this one out tonight and hopefully should still continue to like it
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Szymon Kaźmierczak
Poland
Ozorków
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Another important rule is about remodeling yours alhambra.One action = one tile. When you change place one tile with another on your alhambra it is count as 2 actions. The same when you have one tile in your magazine and want replace with another tile from your city.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
NicoR wrote:

So to be complete, the possible actions are:
1. take money
2. buy a tile AND place it
3. remodel.

The placing of the bought tiles is all done at the end of that same turn.

Yes, it's best to remove the "and place it" from 2, and think of it as:

1. take money
2. buy a tile
3. remodel.

Turn end. Place all purchased tiles in whichever order you wish.

This is important because if you do Exact Purchase then Remodel, the tile you purchased is placed *after* the Remodel is done.

Dolkeap wrote:
Another important rule is about remodeling yours alhambra.One action = one tile. When you change place one tile with another on your alhambra it is count as 2 actions. The same when you have one tile in your magazine and want replace with another tile from your city.

No, that's not quite right. Remodelling is where you choose one action from:

1) Add a tile from mat to Alhambra.
2) Remove a tile from Alhambra to mat.
3) Exchange a tile.

Taking a tile out of your Alhambra and substituting one from your mat in the space it came from is *one* action.

It's only two actions if you want to place the new one in a different spot, because then it'll take one action to remove, and one to add later.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Charters
United States
Chandler
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes...you have been playing wrong, but I disagree that it slows the game down to play correctly. If everyone is prepared to play it hums along at a good pace.

Also, through your old method of play, you miss one of the most interesting elements of the game. Example: when there is a building that costs $9.....and them someone picks up a $9 money card in that color, it is clear what they would like to do. When another player buys that building it is usually good for a laugh (or a growl) and makes the game more interesting/enjoyable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.