Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mooseulie Ferenczy
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmb
So I am considering trying to give back to the BGG community by starting modding, but I am having some problems figuring out the spreadsheet, and I have a feeling it comes down to being inexperienced with my spreadsheet program. I converted to Mac a couple of years ago and am using iWork and Numbers for my spreadsheet program instead of MS Office and Excel. Most likely, it is just that I am not very proficient with Numbers and everything I want to get done is doable (I haven't used spreadsheets in years and when I did I was using a much more complex program that Numbers can provide so I don't have much experience with it). Are there any mods out there who use Numbers or are familiar with Numbers that can provide me with some pointers? I am likely going to switch to Open Office if I can't find what I am looking for, but I would prefer only having one suite of utility programs for everything instead of two. Help?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Goldfarb
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a Mac (and a newly-acquired Macbook) and I use the OpenOffice spreadsheet linked to in this thread and GIMP to produce board images. It works great for me -- the spreadsheet in particular has lots of macros that make things easy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thursday Next
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Oo. I didn't realise it could be done in GIMP as well!

I've been thinking about Modding eventually, but I didn't want to get expensive software to do it. Guess that means I might have just ran out of excuses..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Corbin
United States
Cumming
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
woysefveg wrote:

I've been thinking about Modding eventually, but I didn't want to get expensive software to do it. Guess that means I might have just ran out of excuses..:)

Numbers is far less capable, in my experience, than Excel or Open Office Calc. I would just use Open Office.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Bergom
United States
Towson
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
"Sometimes it would be nice to be wrong about people." -Commander Samuel Vimes
mbmbmbmbmb
woysefveg wrote:

I've been thinking about Modding eventually, but I didn't want to get expensive software to do it. Guess that means I might have just ran out of excuses..

Yup. The really nice thing is that Orphius' OpenOffice spreadsheet is designed to work with GIMP. Once you get it set up properly, you just hit a button in the spreadsheet, and the spreadsheet makes the board for you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm running Excel on my Mac, which is how I modded my game. I know nothing about Numbers, but maybe if you could give some specific issues you are having trouble with we might be able to help.

I also generated board updates using the stand-alone GIMP file, and it was astonishingly easy to do once I figured out how to use the features I needed. Next time I think I'll try Open Office for the auto GIMP updates.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mooseulie Ferenczy
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmb
And general consensus is Open Office. Ok then. I don't use spreadsheets often enough in my major that I would have noticed. Thanks for the heads up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pieter
Netherlands
Tilburg
flag msg tools
Good intentions are no substitute for a good education.
badge
I take my fun very seriously.
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome to the modding community!

Yeah, the OO sheets are rather good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fred Little
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Has anyone gotten an OO/GIMP setup to work on a Mac? I'm new to both and downloaded the latest versions linked at the top of the OO/GIMP thread. I put the two .pcm scripts into /Applications/Gimp.app/Contents/Resources/share/gimp/2.0/ have a properly named .xcf file in the same folder as the spreadsheet. When I click "Create Board Image" in the spreadsheet it opens GIMP with a blank workspace. There's a BSGP-Run menu but it's grayed out and clicking it does nothing. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

ETA: Never mind, I figured it out. Pro tip: Filters > Reset all Filters is no substitute for Filters > Script-fu > Refresh Scripts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mooseulie Ferenczy
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmb
Thanks for the tip. I haven't time to work on this since I posted in January.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Goldfarb
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For my part I just create the images manually. Occasionally mistakes slip through.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy H
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dranaden wrote:
Has anyone gotten an OO/GIMP setup to work on a Mac? I'm new to both and downloaded the latest versions linked at the top of the OO/GIMP thread. I put the two .pcm scripts into /Applications/Gimp.app/Contents/Resources/share/gimp/2.0/ have a properly named .xcf file in the same folder as the spreadsheet. When I click "Create Board Image" in the spreadsheet it opens GIMP with a blank workspace. There's a BSGP-Run menu but it's grayed out and clicking it does nothing. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

ETA: Never mind, I figured it out. Pro tip: Filters > Reset all Filters is no substitute for Filters > Script-fu > Refresh Scripts.

I am having the exact same problem but the refreshing of the scripts doesn't seem to be doing anything. Any ideas? Does X11 have anything to do with it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fred Little
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
horsekateer wrote:
Does X11 have anything to do with it?

X11 needs to be open for the GIMP creator to work, but it should launch automatically when you press the big button in the spreadsheet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy H
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah its opening along with Gimp no problem. Very frustrating, came so close to figuring this all out shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fred Little
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe double-check the script's path? It has to be in the right place (which I forget atm...).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.