Don Smith
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tonight I tried again with the Core Set 30 card Leadership Mono-sphere deck in the second scenario "Journey Along the Anduin". This is a really tough challenge as the starting heroes (Aragorn, Theodred, and Gloin) add up to 29 Threat which triggers the Hill Troll on Turn 2 unless you-know-who (the guy in the pointy hat) shows up in your first seven cards...

Well, that's exactly what happened. I was dealt the "dream starting hand" with Gandalf, Faramir, and Steward of Gondor. Aragorn was given the honour of being Steward on Turn 1. After successfully questing on Turn 1 our Threat clicked up to 30. The Hill Troll sniffed the air and thought he smelled Dwarf (we TOLD Gloin to bathe this month - he wouldn't listen) but suddenly the wind shifted and the Troll lost the scent as Gandalf appeared on Turn 2 and reduced the party's Threat to 25.

Now getting 5 resources a turn, Faramir was able to join early and the Threat was completely manageable so we took our time building allies of all sorts (even taking more Dwarves to Theodred's dismay - "How could the Hill Troll not smell the odour now?" he complained to Aragorn (who had the clothespin Arwen had whittled out of a Mallorn sapling firmly closing both nostrils).

After dispatching some pesky bats and small orcs the party was ready for the Main Event and with the shout of "For Gondor" the once feared Hill Troll went down with a mighty thud. It smelled worse than a Dwarf. "Hard to imagine" quipped Theodred.

The party took to the rafts and Theodred stayed upwind of the Dwarves the entire journey, risking arrows from the bank rather than the stench. With Faramir leading the questing - even being "Ever Vigilant" occasionally, the river rafting was accomplished in 3 turns.

The battle on the shore was short and furious. Theodred, leaping from the lead boat to stay ahead of the Dwarves, was cut down while he quested for fresh air. But with "Grim Resolve" the party was able to cut down just about all the Enemies after their initial assault. A ferocious-looking Marsh Adder was all that remained and Aragorn ordered a full scale attack, ignoring questing, knowing that he couldn't lose. The slimy serpent was hacked to pieces and the Dwarves had their lunch.

POSTLUDE: I feel a bit "guilty" when I get a great opening hand but I think that was what was needed in order to beat this scenario with a Core Set Leadership 30 card mono-sphere deck!

POST POSTLUDE: I've given up trying to win this Anduin Scenario with the Core Set Lore 30 card mono-sphere deck - has anyone done this? I'm moving on to try and win it with Spirit and then Tactics - wish me luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damien
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well Done - I tried Anduin tonight for the first time with the same deck and no such luck. I was lucky in that Gandalf arrived when dealing with the troll but I used him to damage the troll to get rid of the darn thing. Steward of Gondor appeared later and Faramir later still.

With a couple of bat swarms, some beastmasters, and a group of the "little" orcs my party was taking a beating and the location threats kept mounting. In the last round Aragon the final hero perished with my threat level on 49 - would have passed 50 at the end of the round so Aragon threw himself on the bats undefended.

"Well that's that then. Off home then I guess hey lads?" said Brok Ironfist to the 3 other remaining companions.

During the quest I managed to get past one location and even get 3 progress tokens on the real quest at hand but these wre removed by a shadow effect so other than dealing with the Hill Troll I made no progress at all - talking about bringing me back to earth after 3 successes with the same Deck vs. Mirkwood.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jose Bellomar
United States
flag msg tools
mb
Dude I love how you tell the tale Well done on your victory. I had a similar encounter yesterday after cracking my brain for 7 dang times and finally I got it. Props to you sir
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DoM Lauzon
Canada
Saint-Lazare
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for this article.

How can you get 5 ressources per turn as you mention ???

Attempted this morning but got squashed squarely in 3 turns by the Troll...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DoM Lauzon
Canada
Saint-Lazare
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Self answered... effect of Steawrd of Gondor,

gotta play more now !

Cheers !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kimchi fried rice
United States
Uptown
New York
flag msg tools
AKIMBO!
badge
반갑습니다!
mbmbmbmbmb
thanks for sharing that epic narrative!

that's what i love about this game... when things start off great, it's freaking awesome
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.