Mister Easton
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And here's another one:

In the rules it clearly states that you can use artifacts and potions 'at any time'. But what does that mean for battles?

One could read this like: you can use artifacts (like cloaks) and potions (get back HP) even after a DM has thrown for damage from a monster to avoid or lessen the damage.

I think it's fairer and mor logical to play it like this: you can use artifacts and potions after the DM has declared he will attack a certain hero with a certain monster but before he throws the dice. I see the moment of the throwing of the dice as the weapon hitting the body of the opponent and deciding what damage that does. The damage is done and can only be undone if you are still alive after that to use potions, artifacts, magic etc. This seems more reasonable to me because the hero would be able to see a blow coming (DM declares the attack) but not to know how much damage it would do if it actually hit him (the thrwing of the dice). If you think it's to dangerous you would decide before the blow hits you to use items that increase your chance of survival in stead of waiting to find out the damage and when it kills you saying: 'oh no, I did use my artifact/potion'. If you did, you should have decided before the blow. You realistically can't throw a cloak betwen a weapon and your body when it has already entered your body or drink a potion when you have died from a blow. With the appointing of the throwing of the dice as the actual moment the weapon hits, this would still leave the 'at any time' rule intact, because the next posible moment 'at any time' would be the moment right after the blow and the damage it did.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Oxford
Oxon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Using artifacts and potions during battle
mistereaston wrote:
[...] In the rules it clearly states that you can use artifacts and potions 'at any time'. [...]

In the English rules also, so no ambiguity at all, but ..

mistereaston wrote:
[...] I think it's fairer and mor logical to play it like this: you can use artifacts and potions after the DM has declared he will attack a certain hero with a certain monster but before he throws the dice. [...]

Yes, very true, there is a good thematic rationale for doing it that way.

mistereaston wrote:
[...] I see the moment of the throwing of the dice as the weapon hitting the body of the opponent and deciding what damage that does. The damage is done and can only be undone if you are still alive after that to use potions, artifacts, magic etc. [...]

Although you could say that the damage doesn't necessarily all happen at once -- if the blow hits a major artery and the hero is rapidly bleeding to death, s/he has just enough time to get the potion out and gulp it down.

mistereaston wrote:
[...] You realistically can't throw a cloak betwen a weapon and your body when it has already entered your body [...]

Cloaks are different: cloaks are artefacts, not potions, so your character would need to be wearing it already to gain the benefit -- s/he couldn't just get it from the backpack (in the English rules, anyway, the "use at any time" rule specifically applies to potions, not artefacts).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mister Easton
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Using artifacts and potions during battle
David N wrote:
Although you could say that the damage doesn't necessarily all happen at once -- if the blow hits a major artery and the hero is rapidly bleeding to death, s/he has just enough time to get the potion out and gulp it down.

If I would be playing an actual RPG, I would say yes (I prefer to keep the heroes alive if it's reasonable and they don't do crazy stuff), but in this game I say HP = 0 = death; the more 'mechanical' way to play a game.

David N wrote:
Cloaks are different: cloaks are artefacts, not potions, so your character would need to be wearing it already to gain the benefit -- s/he couldn't just get it from the backpack (in the English rules, anyway, the "use at any time" rule specifically applies to potions, not artefacts).

Yeah but still if you wear the artefact (in use) you still have te option of using it or not. And so I say the same rules apply: option to use the artefact up untill the moment the combat dice are thrown but if you don't then you have to take the damage and can use the artefact only after doing that.

So:
Artefacts in backpack: can't use at any time at all and
Artefacts in use: can use at any time but when combat dice are thrown and the artefact is not used before that, the damage applies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Oxford
Oxon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mistereaston wrote:
[...] Artefacts in backpack: can't use at any time at all [...]
Artefacts in use: can use at any time but when combat dice are thrown and the artefact is not used before that, the damage applies.

Yes and no, IMHO. If the artefact is ready, i.e. not in backpack, it is automatically used, because (if it's a cloak, say), your character is wearing it, so it's not a question of taking it from the backpack and using it while the sword is swinging -- you don't choose to use it, it is there. If it's in the backpack you cannot use it while being attacked, because it is not a potion, and non-potion artefacts require an action to ready (put on or whatever).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mister Easton
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh I think I get it. Are you saying that as you play it, you have to use it regardless of the dameage? For example if you have a cloak in use and you get attacked, it activates automatically and you have to throw the star die to see if you loose it?

As we interpret it, you can choose to use it, because you maybe don't want to use it in an attack that can't hurt you much or kill you. Like you can choose whether to use the ring artefact to teleport through a room. I would say that putting in use the ring wouldn't automatically activate it and so wouldn't a cloak 'in use'. When the player has the cloak in his backpack, it can't be used, but when the cloak is 'in use' he can still choose to use it to catch the blow or he can choose to catch the blow with his body because he doesn't want to waste the cloak.

As you suggest it (if I got it right), it would place more restrictions on the heroes than I originally had in mind, but i like it. As I understand it, when they put in use an artefact like a cloak, it automatically is used on the first attack against the hero, the way you play it. That would make the game a little more strategic (which I like, as you must know by now ) for the player must use one of his actions to put on the cloak when he is expecting the blow that he wants to use it on. That limits the possibilities of the player and makes him consider thoroughly whether to use it or not. I think I'll try it out, though it might place the heroes just a bit too much at a disadvantage.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Oxford
Oxon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mistereaston wrote:
[...] For example if you have a cloak in use and you get attacked, it activates automatically and you have to throw the star die to see if you loose it? [...]

That's pretty much it, yes -- hadn't thought of trying it your way, maybe that's what's intended and we should (although I don't think we've had a cloak yet, just artefacts and weapons that you do choose to use) Presumably if the player decides not to use a worn cloak in a situation where it could be helpful s/he must decide before the attack is made?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mister Easton
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well that's how we've played it, but I think both our methods are valid.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Oxford
Oxon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mistereaston wrote:
Well that's how we've played it, but I think both our methods are valid.

Indeed -- enjoy!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.