Subject: Any games 'like' Ticket to ride? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Peter
Netherlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm looking for games like Ticket To Ride in a certain sense. What I mean is that the goal and the means to achieve that goal are easily explained to newcomers. But at the same time the game stays interesting after many plays and allows for multiple strategies. Also, because of the hidden tickets it's not so obvious somebody is loosing or winning hard during the game. I do realize that an experienced player who is playing against newcomers should be able to win.

Many games, even simple ones, need a game or perhaps two to figure out how to achieve what. For example carcassonne: The concept of farms and especially when and how to start placing farmers is often not easy to grasp for newcomers. In games with auctions and trading it's often hard to judge the value of things in order to know when something is a good deal.

So I guess I'm looking for games that allow newcomers to have a fun and interesting game, but still allow for some interesting choices/challenges and strategy. Any tips?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter
Netherlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The game should support at least 5 players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Geneva
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Airlines Europe..great fun game..easy to teach.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carmelo Scozzola
Italy
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The first game which comes into my mind is Thurn and Taxis (even if it is a 2-4 players game)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 to all of the above.
Kingsburg
Alhambra

Perhaps more party gameish:
Dixit
For Sale

Drop to 4 and there are loads more:
Catan
Carcassonne
Oregon
Galaxy Trucker
Pandemic or Forbidden Island

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Kahnt
United States
Youngstown
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
It's fun, it's healthy, it's good exercise. The kids will just love it. And we put a little sand inside to make the experience more pleasant.
badge
You know, they say there was a man who jumped from the forty-FIFTH floor? But that's another story...
mbmbmbmbmb
Not for nothing, but 7 Wonders would fit the bill.

-DK
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wade Nelson
United States
Golden Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TransAmerica, get one of the newer editions with the Vexation expansion in the box. There's Trans Europa too, but I haven't played that.

It's a lot like TtR, but you don't have to collect cards. You just lay tracks, use other people's tracks, and try connect destinations. It plays quickly.

Bohnanza has gone over really well for us too, as has Citadels (which is a bit more cutthroat). I've had people be competitive in their first game at these, and most people by their second game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve S
United States
Roscoe
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've honestly had more luck getting non-gamers to play Long Shot than any other game I've ever tried.

People "get" the theme right off the bat, no confusion there. Up to 8 people can play, the cards add a bit of strategy (though somewhat random of course), and the game becomes a real nail-biter towards the end when a card could cause any of the horses in the lead to jump ahead or fall behind. I've played this with multiple groups of both friends and family and it has not yet failed to be a hit.

Carcassonne I've had some success with, as long as I completely leave out the farming rule when first teaching it.

Zooloretto might be a good one too as it's based on the card game Coloretto which is pretty easy to teach but has subtle strategy... however I've yet to be able to sell the "zookeeper" theme to the point where I've been able to get anybody to be interested in actually playing it...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter
Netherlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DKahnt wrote:
Not for nothing, but 7 Wonders would fit the bill.

-DK

Just watched a video about this game. I'm very interested. Thanks for the advice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter
Netherlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
coco123 wrote:

I have union pacific, but didn't get around to playing it yet. I'm afraid it may be too complex for inexperienced gamers. Especially the whole concept of stocks. Or should it be fine?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter
Netherlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Shadoglare wrote:

Carcassonne I've had some success with, as long as I completely leave out the farming rule when first teaching it.

I though about carcassonne without farmers. And then explain the farmers after the first game, using the result of the first game, to show how the scoring works. Hopefully followed by another game, naturally!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean P
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Isla Dorada would be a good fit. It shares many of the same mechanics as Ticket to Ride, but is a unique game on it's own. It also has some of the most colorful cards and art I've seen.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
lizard
Netherlands
Utrecht
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For larger groups I can also recommend Saboteur and The Werewolves of Miller's Hollow. In saboteur it's the dwarfs who are trying to find the gold against the saboteurs who try to prevent the dwarfs from reaching the gold. It's a very simple game, the goal is clear and people are able to play it well in their first game. In The werewolfs of Miller's Hollow the werewolfs are trying to eliminate all the village people and the other way around. Both are a lot of fun in larger groups and both are simple games to teach and play.

Edit: BANG! would also be a recommendation that can come along with the other two!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve S
United States
Roscoe
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
radicalizard wrote:
In The werewolfs of Miller's Hollow the werewolfs are trying to eliminate all the village people and the other way around. Both are a lot of fun in larger groups and both are simple games to teach and play.

I'd be careful with that one... I played it with a large group of mostly non-gamer friends, and it was a TOTAL flop. They just didn't "get" it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Hall
United Kingdom
Yate
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
FarokhTarquin wrote:
Shadoglare wrote:

I though about carcassonne without farmers. And then explain the farmers after the first game, using the result of the first game, to show how the scoring works. Hopefully followed by another game, naturally!

Just get Carcassonne: Hunters and Gatherers instead of basic Carc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
lizard
Netherlands
Utrecht
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Shadoglare wrote:
radicalizard wrote:
In The werewolfs of Miller's Hollow the werewolfs are trying to eliminate all the village people and the other way around. Both are a lot of fun in larger groups and both are simple games to teach and play.

I'd be careful with that one... I played it with a large group of mostly non-gamer friends, and it was a TOTAL flop. They just didn't "get" it.

Hmm yeah... I can imagine that if nobody knows how to play it. So you might be right. Thanks for pointing out!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve S
United States
Roscoe
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DreadFuzzy wrote:
FarokhTarquin wrote:
Shadoglare wrote:

H&G doesn't eliminate farmers, it just renames them, and in fact makes them more complicated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Chipman
United States
Zephyrhills
Florida
flag msg tools
take a look at Canal Mania

it is a nice next step up from TtR that doesn't add much complexity.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Hoier
United States
Sioux Falls
South Dakota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Amazonas is A LOT like TtR. Very pretty and colorful artwork, great family friendly theme. Kids and non-gamers are usually willing to try it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Wignall
United States
Beaverton
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally I like Small World

Cheers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter
Netherlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for all the suggestions. They are very useful!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garry Rice
United States
Perkasie
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
FarokhTarquin wrote:
coco123 wrote:

I have union pacific, but didn't get around to playing it yet. I'm afraid it may be too complex for inexperienced gamers. Especially the whole concept of stocks. Or should it be fine?

I don't know how it would go with UP. Airlines I've found to be pretty straightforward, as there's only the same 4 options every turn, streamlining the whole UP experience (no track cards, and buying "UP" shares are now one of the 4 actions you can do instead of combining it as they did in UP.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Hall
United Kingdom
Yate
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Shadoglare wrote:
DreadFuzzy wrote:

H&G doesn't eliminate farmers, it just renames them, and in fact makes them more complicated.

In which case they've changed the rules in basic Carc because the mechanics for hunters in H&G always made one hell of a lot more sense than farmers in Carc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
DreadFuzzy wrote:
Shadoglare wrote:
DreadFuzzy wrote:

In which case they've changed the rules in basic Carc because the mechanics for hunters in H&G always made one hell of a lot more sense than farmers in Carc.

You mean thematically? Because mechanically I'd say base Carc is a decent amount simpler than H&G.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomello Visello
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
FarokhTarquin wrote:
So I guess I'm looking for games that allow newcomers to have a fun and interesting game, but still allow for some interesting choices/challenges and strategy. Any tips?
Others are posting specific recommendations, but really what you are asking has long been categorized by the term "gateway" game.

Plenty of threads and Geeklists exist if you do a simple search.

Nonetheless, I wish to promote Manhattan for being simple yet offering newcomers a chance to make some exciting decisions (and very quickly providing them feedback).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.