Tanks Alot
United States
Fort Mill
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
go2 Youtube Historical Gaming
mbmbmbmbmb
Its turn 7 of scenario 2 and we have 2 german units left and surrounded by americans. the 2 units are locked in melee

The American player cannot fire into the hex with his other units.

Even though the german players are overwhelmed, this really seems like a no win for the americans unless he rolls really well in melee.

With all his other units standing around it seems like it just killed the scenario being in melee

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Krohn
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
badge
Ahhh....my misspent youth...
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, get them suppressed before entering melee and everything gets a lot easier. If you still have that many guys laying around, it seems like you could have done that.

Also, if the first turn of melee went bad for you, on the next turn you can always try withdrawing your troops from melee to fire at the hex some more or to get fresh troops in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Curtiss
United States
Dothan
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If I understand the situation, I think the best you can do here is move another American unit into each melee hex. Then, with 2 squads to 1, you can roll 4 dice agaist each German unit. Odds are that you'll destroy them both.

If either German unit starts turn 7 suppressed or on its casualty reduced side, it may need to rout and be destroyed that way, but I'm assuming that your Germans have morale 10.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tanks Alot
United States
Fort Mill
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Since it was turn 7 it was the end of the scenario if the germans werent eliminated, so the only choice was to exit melee, the exiting americans took a +3 adj and + 4 moving in the open which eliminated them, then the remaining units attempted to fire against the remaining german alone in the hex.
It really did not feel right with so many units surrounding the units in melee with nothing to do. The additional American units could not enter melee do to the 2 max stacking limit. From what I read on the rules only 2 units, regardless of nationality could be in a hex. So moving more units into the hex for melee was not an option

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Krohn
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just to be clear, you can have 2 squads per side in a hex. Otherwise, if 2 Germans were in a hex, you could not enter melee at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tanks Alot
United States
Fort Mill
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tanks Alot
United States
Fort Mill
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok I must have misread that. We had 1 american and one german, and we thought that was the max

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Whitham
United Kingdom
Norwich
Norfolk
flag msg tools
mbmb
Am I right in thinking, if the result of melee is a 'reduction' (ie. 1 hit on a fresh german), the unit is flipped AND marked as fully suppressed?
That's how I played it earlier (it agrees with rule 8.0 Casualties), seemed fair enough.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Krohn
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That's correct.

Nothing like a difficult melee to sometimes slow the advance down.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.