Popular Tags: [View All]
Dave C
United States
flag msg tools
You Greeks are always children!
badge
Jean Gabin in La Grande Illusion
mbmbmbmbmb
First off, I've been reading the great posts in this forum for a few days now, and I don't think the reviews and general comments have come close to describing how beautiful the finished playing pieces are. They are really pleasing to the eye.

As a side note: my copy came with dark, translucent blue dice. Anyone else?

Regarding the rules: I've probably got one chance to sell this game to my wife. She is a fan of standard board games, card games, and Carcassonne. But she is not a wargamer. I was thinking of putting together a small scenario with just a few units each to explain the rules. Has anyone done this with Richard III? Any recommendations on how to make the pitch to a non-wargamer?

Preserving the pieces: I just read it a few days ago (and now I can't find the post) that someone brushed the sticker side of the pieces with clear nail polish to preserve the sticker and prevent it from curling up. I have used nail polish as a protectant before, but it does sometimes interact poorly with some materials. Can anyone confirm that it will not smudge or discolor the stickers?

Any help with these questions would be greatly appreciated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Providence
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This game might be a hard sell to a non-wargamer. A better choice might be Hammer of the Scots or Julius Caesar. I've taught my GF Julius Caesar (probably the most approachable of the Columbia Games Block game offerings), so there is that. JC is far less daunting to a non-wargaming crowd, IMHO. Very few 'fiddly' rules, unlike R3. You'll be forgetting the +1 defensive bonuses for a while...

To asnwer your question: I have not tried what you are attempting. I hope you meet with success, and if you do, I'd like to know what you did to accomplish this. Please GM me if that happens.

As for the curling sticker behavior, I have not seen this ever. I'd be cautious about using any clear sealant on the stickers without testing it.

This is a great game that rarely gets to the table. Another thread got me to set this up for solo play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave C
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the quick response. I think I'll play R3 with a friend first, several campaigns maybe, and then attempt a simple little teaching module for the wife. It is a beautiful game--that might help. I'll let you know if I meet with success.

And I finished the stickers--a bit nerve wracking. I used the side of a razor blade to position and then carefully removed the blade. They all came out great and I agree with you on their quality. I don't think I'll have any problems with curling or the like.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff White
United States
Kyle
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been polish protecting my stickers for years. Ever since a few of my Hammer of the Scots stickers started fading. There's absolutely no problem at all. In fact, I won't play a block game now unless the stickers have been sealed. I equate it to clipping chit corners, but not nearly as nerve wrecking.

Also, if planning to play RIII with the wife, I'd suggest the roughly 30 min scenario on Columbia's website. The Richard III 1483 scenario (I Kingmaker scenario plays 15-30 mins longer).

http://www.columbiagames.com/resources/3171/R3-Scenarios.pdf

(The easiest block games to get non-gamers to digest are probably War of 1812 and Quebec 1759. They don't have the shine of the newer releases though.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave C
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jack Hooligan wrote:
I've been polish protecting my stickers for years. Ever since a few of my Hammer of the Scots stickers started fading. There's absolutely no problem at all. In fact, I won't play a block game now unless the stickers have been sealed. I equate it to clipping chit corners, but not nearly as nerve wrecking.

Also, if planning to play RIII with the wife, I'd suggest the roughly 30 min scenario on Columbia's website. The Richard III 1483 scenario (I Kingmaker scenario plays 15-30 mins longer).

http://www.columbiagames.com/resources/3171/R3-Scenarios.pdf

(The easiest block games to get non-gamers to digest are probably War of 1812 and Quebec 1759. They don't have the shine of the newer releases though.)

Jeff, thanks so much for the information! And I am new to block games--have not heard of 1812. I'll check it out.

Dave

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.