10 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Light or medium wargame for 3-4+ players? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Steffen Meyer
msg tools
Hi there,

I'm (desperately) looking for a light or medium wargame for 3,4 or more players. what i mean is a game that is somehow similiar in its complexity to risk:legacy but maybe in a different setting. Dust is more or less the same setting on a global map. I'm looking for something like runewars but far more lighter, maybe a bit like smallworld.

I do like Runewars, War of the Rings, Civ:The Board Game a lot, but they just sometimes take too long - and most of all they scare away new players who are maybe only used to games like The Settlers of Catan.

I'd like a strategy/wargame with competing and conquering armies, a game that does not need much time to explain and which is for more than 2 players (because 2-player-games like this are out there a lot). Like i said, I have something in mind like Dust Tactics but not only with 2 armies but with 3 or more...

I found the setting of Smallworld a bit too childish, something more serious would be nice as well.

And furthermore it would be very nice, if it's a game which provides rules for beginners, advanced players and experts alike.

I know, I know, it's a nervending list of wishes, but I looked around here at BGG so long and couldn't find any appropriate game, so I turn to you, the community, and I hope you can help me.

Thanks a lot!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
Cyclades
Dungeons & Dragons: Conquest of Nerath Board Game

Dust is my favourite though.

Quite different but worth a look:
Chaos in the Old World

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Marshall
United States
Thousand Oaks
California
flag msg tools
We Are DEVO!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1812: The Invasion of Canada works with 2-5 players. It's considerably quicker than Sid Meier's Civilization: The Board Game and Runewars. It's fun, new and not too complex.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
michael dorazio
United States
Tyngsboro
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Chaos in the Old World is also my suggestion for a theme-ey game of that sort. Or in a different direction, go with The End of the Triumverate - more fun than it sounds. Nexus Ops is sweet too. This is coming from someone who owns and plays Risk: Legacy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wyant
United States
Spindale
NC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
With enough forces you can play Dust Tactics with 3 or 4 easily.

I also second Conquest of Nerath, great Game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Shaw
United States
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Might be worth looking at might not, not really a wargame (but then, Runewars isn't either) could be Supernova

Someone mentioned Cyclades, that's a pretty good hybrid type game as well (like runewars).

More like Risk Legacy rather than Runewars would be Risk: Star Wars Original Trilogy Edition which is excellent if you can actually find it at a reasonable price.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
michael dorazio
United States
Tyngsboro
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh yeah! Totally forgot. Original Trilogy is fantastic for three. Played it four or five times, and it rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
RODRIGO MAIA MANIQUE
Brazil
RIO DE JANEIRO
flag msg tools
mbmb
Cyclades
Runewars

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Cheng
Hong Kong
Ma On Shan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Take a look at my pnp game:

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/722264/advanced-wizards-ques...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike L.
United States
West Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmmm... I am currently in the design process for a game of this ilk.

As someone trying to decide if he wants to take the next step and go to market, would a 2-4 player, probably medium weight war-game with a deck building mechanic work for you? and anybody else here?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.