Garcian Smith
United States
Northridge
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Erie has been talked about before. The important thing to note is that it will only be capitalized once, so it might be wise to put a good deal of money in it. Chicago might be harder to get to if another group of players gets there first. The money route is to hit Detroit and then Chicago. There is that other route back to New York, but I don't know how effective that is.

The game I played, a guy plunked 27 for the Erie and it only got him back 3 or 4 payouts... he did not even get back his cost. You need time to get the rail moving and you are effectively out of the game and are only going to build Erie. So the brown train effectively puts a time limit on the game, making everyone else play faster before the brown rail grows too massive.

The Narrow Gauge has been... a bit non-existent for me in my games. They are only used a few times. The best use of them is to put them in a forest or mountain as it completely shuts out another rail. It's probably the most effective against yellow who has the coast to deal with anyway. I don't see it effective at all against green... you might be able to snatch 1 or 2 more dollars against it, but is that really going to matter?

Null actions then again aren't really utilized by the people I play with, especially at the beginning of the game, when the Narrow Gauge is arguably the most effective.

I guess for me, I'm wondering when the best time to buy the Erie is and how to incorporate the Narrow Gauge into the game more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Southampton
Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
I'll think of something witty to put here...
mbmbmbmbmb
Revelade wrote:
I guess for me, I'm wondering when the best time to buy the Erie is

As soon as you can!

Though you can only build for one company at a time, so if you have a big majority in another company then Erie is not worth as much to you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.