Robert Stewart
United Kingdom
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In another thread:

InfoCynic wrote:
My turn doesn't end if YOU reveal on my turn (via XO, for example).

YOUR turn (or chance to take actions) does.

So the statement "the turn ends" as part of the instructions for revealing should really say "if the current player is the one who revealed, the turn ends," and even that isn't true in the case where the current player plays State of Emergency, then uses the action from that to reveal (BTW this is a pretty good trick if people are in bad positions and/or you think there's another Cylon waiting to do something evil).

So, I'm trying to come up with situations where "your turn ends" is functionally different from "you're now a Cylon, so you skip Crisis Step and Activate Cylon Ships Step on your turn".

One possibility would be if there is a Crisis with a viper activation/launch for Apollo to AVP and reveal on his turn - rules as written, you'd ignore any remaining text on the card. If the Crisis also had a jump icon (or an earlier State of Emergency meant there were Caprica jump icons pending) then skipping the jump prep would also be a functional difference.

The rule doesn't do anything with Starbuck's Expert Pilot - if she reveals as her first action, her character sheet no longer applies to grant a second anyway.

Revealing off a Critical Situation, the rule is significant - without it, you'd get to activate the Resurrection Ship (or play a Treachery card)

As Apollo, if you're on Galactica, and XO someone sat in Command, who launches a Viper you AVP as their first action, and then you use your AVP action to reveal, ending the turn would do them out of their second action.

That last option is even more entertaining if they can then use their second action to play State of Emergency, giving Apollo an extra action after all...

In all other situations I've managed to come up with, someone revealing on their turn wouldn't have any further actions anyway - not being Human turns off most sources of extra actions (SoE and Cavil's OPG being, I believe, the only exceptions) and Critical Situation looks like the only way to reveal before your Action Step.

Have I missed anything, and does the turn actually end in those corner-cases?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Vollick
Canada
St. Thomas
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You are trying way too hard on this. BSG is a FFG game and as such the rules are often ambiguous and shouldn't be interpreted as gospel from the heavens.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Stewart
United Kingdom
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Vollick1979 wrote:
You are trying way too hard on this. BSG is a FFG game and as such the rules are often ambiguous and shouldn't be interpreted as gospel from the heavens.

Some people have fun playing the game; other people have fun playing with the game and testing the odd corners.

Fantasy Flight Games actually have better written rules than most - I've played games where, from the rules-as-written, it's not even clear sometimes whose turn is next. The fact BSG lets you come up with weird corner-cases where the rules do odd things means that the rules cover the ordinary situations well enough to create corner-cases...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.