Joel Eddy
United States
Coeur d'Alene
ID
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've read and heard that this game is ONLY best with a full boat of six players.

It's definitely possible that I can get a a full game together, but not very often. And, it's not a guarantee that everyone in the group will enjoy the game after trying it.

Will we be satisfied playing this with two, three, four, etc... ? All opinions are welcome!

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
May I pass along my congratulations for your great interdimensional breakthrough. I am sure, in the miserable annals of the Earth, you will be duly enshrined. -- Lord John Whorfin
mbmbmbmbmb
No. The game is perfectly balanced with six. Play with that number for the best possible experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Eddy
United States
Coeur d'Alene
ID
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
artfuldodge2 wrote:
No. The game is perfectly balanced with six. Play with that number for the best possible experience.

Got it. So is it horrifyingly awful with less?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Everts
United States
Foothill Ranch
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
"Nobody gets me. I'm the wind, baby!" - Tom Servo
badge
"Push the button, Frank!"
mbmbmbmbmb
eekamouse wrote:
artfuldodge2 wrote:

Got it. So is it horrifyingly awful with less?

We've played it with 4 and seems fine. But then we are all non-experts so I expect a group of very experienced players might not like less then 6?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lawrence Spode
United States
Mount Airy
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Playing with 5 is fine, but IMO that is the cut off.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Al Ross
United States
Charlotte
NC
flag msg tools
badge
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read. - Groucho Marx
mbmbmbmbmb
The theme shines with 6. Also, the balance, which is pretty good less the Fremen with 6 is often thrown off once you get down to 4 or less.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Johnson
United States
Crystal Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Subhuman wrote:

I agree with this. At the WBC tournament I require tables to have at least 5 players. The game works perfectly well with 5 and balance remains decent. I think you can pretty much exclude any 1 of the factions you want to (all have pros and cons), but many people have preferences. It seems like most people like to leave out the BG, given a choice.

However, all this being said, there is usually some jealously among the people who get placed at a 5-player table vs the people who get placed at a 6-player table. Everyone knows 6 is best.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Christiansen
United States
Mount Pleasant
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
OOK! OOK! OOK!
mbmbmbmbmb
Let me be the voice of dissent.

I prefer 5-player with no Bene Gesserit.

I think 4 player works fine too, exclude the witches and the Emporer and disallow alliances. It is still a challenging game that feels very thematic to me with Atreides, Harkonnen, Freemen, and Guild.

I might rather play that 4 player game just described than the full 6 player with alliances, but your mileage may vary.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Wenzel
United States
Bloomington
IN
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My group have been playing Dune for over ten years. We have had very satisfying experience with 4-6 players. I have not printed the new races and not sure how that would change the game. We never take any races out but it might be a little less satisfying with Freeman or The Bennies!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Rob
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm going to go out on a limb here and say two players is the worse... whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Eddy
United States
Coeur d'Alene
ID
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks everyone!

I'm assuming that a new group won't "know better" if we play our first couple games with four?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Christiansen
United States
Mount Pleasant
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
OOK! OOK! OOK!
mbmbmbmbmb
It is a fine game with 4 players and see above for which I prefer to remove, although one can drop Guild in favor of Emporer if you like. But the witches have to go.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Klaude Thomas
New Zealand
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
tempus42 wrote:
Subhuman wrote:

I agree with this. At the WBC tournament I require tables to have at least 5 players. The game works perfectly well with 5 and balance remains decent. I think you can pretty much exclude any 1 of the factions you want to (all have pros and cons), but many people have preferences. It seems like most people like to leave out the BG, given a choice.

However, all this being said, there is usually some jealously among the people who get placed at a 5-player table vs the people who get placed at a 6-player table. Everyone knows 6 is best.

I agree. 6 is most satisfying, but 5 is perfectly robust and gives a faster game. Dropping BG or Guild typically.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.