9 Posts

Mage Knight Board Game» Forums » General

Subject: Is it possible to play with 5 players ? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Remo Galvan
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Never played Mage Knight, so I have no experience about it, but this game looks very interesting and it seems the kind of game that my playing group could really like a lot.

I'm considering to buy it, but there is a big problem ... my playing group is almost always of 5 people (Vlaada, you should let play all of us together with your beautiful games ...).

Let's suppose to have 2 copies of the game in our group (so we have the components), if it possible to play it with 5 players ?

And with only 1 copy, replacing the needed missing components in some way ?

Thanks for your suggestions and thoughts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
King of All Simians — Not a Mere Diplomat
United States
Wilmington
Select State
flag msg tools
designer
I love you.
badge
I love you.
mb
You can't play with five. There are unique decks, groups of abilities, and minis for each character.

But for that matter, I doubt I'll play with four again. The fourth player doesn't add as much to the experience as the greatly-added downtime takes away. Stick to one, two, or three for this one.

And yeah, it's worth getting just for the solo experience, even if it can't hit the table with your full crew. Then, if there's ever a night where a couple of fellows aren't available, you can whip it on 'em.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joachim Pehl
Germany
Daubach
Rheinland-Pfalz
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It should be technically possible with two copies if you do not mind a duplicate hero. Furthermore, there was some talk about a hero expansion. But, I would strongly advise against playing with 5 unless all 5 players have 10 games under their belt and are generally fast players and even then I would prefer to split into a 2 and a 3 player game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Grogan
United Kingdom
Cullompton
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
Check out all my instructional How to Play videos at youtube.com/GamingRulesVideos
mbmbmbmbmb
tech7 wrote:
It should be technically possible with two copies if you do not mind a duplicate hero. Furthermore, there was some talk about a hero expansion. But, I would strongly advise against playing with 5 unless all 5 players have 10 games under their belt and are generally fast players and even then I would prefer to split into a 2 and a 3 player game.

Downtime with 5 will be bad. Split into 2 groups.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Remo Galvan
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thanks for your comments and suggestions.

How is the downtime compared to a 5 players Runebound ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Dewsbery
United Kingdom
Sutton Coldfield
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Holmes! wrote:
But for that matter, I doubt I'll play with four again. The fourth player doesn't add as much to the experience as the greatly-added downtime takes away.

I *might* play with four players again, but only if I can find three others who know the game well enough to keep things moving along at a fair old clip. For the first few games, four is not a good number, and five would be Right Out.

As an aside, I've noticed that almost every game based around hexagons is better with three players than with four. Exceptions to that rule of thumb are rare IME.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Denman
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You could play with five players. And you could remove your own cavities and skip the dentist. Forget it! I don't even want to play with four again. How does it compare to Runebound downtime? Hmmmm. I'd say it's worse in Mage Knight since a player's turn typically takes longer than a Runebound turn. However, I'm more interested in watching someone else take their MK turn too, so it doesn't seem as bad.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kaiwen Zhang
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
Welcome to Zombo.com!
badge
Art of life
mbmbmbmbmb
rgalvan wrote:
Thanks for your comments and suggestions.

How is the downtime compared to a 5 players Runebound ?

you play 5p runebound? wow... you enjoy pain lol
this will be worse than that

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicolas Daoust
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Holmes! wrote:
But for that matter, I doubt I'll play with four again. The fourth player doesn't add as much to the experience as the greatly-added downtime takes away. Stick to one, two, or three for this one.

I'll sixth that. I just finished my first 4-player game and the downtime was horrendous, not to mention the constant takebacks (and disappointment) due to two players having only 3 games' experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.