Hide
6 Posts

Vs. System» Forums » General

Subject: Trying to understand the VS System TCG rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
K K
msg tools
I am recently looking into the VS System via the psp game named Marvel Trading Card Game. (the VS System is already out of print)

I have often hear that VS System is among the most strategic CCG out there. Is that really true? So far with my experience with the PSP game, it seems that as long as you have initiative, you can just use your big guys to destroy all your opponent's guys, making them run out of guys when it is time for their combat step.And, can you people explain when is the right move to reinforce your character? So far, I did not see the need to reinforce at all, and it seems that the player with the characters of higher stats tend to get the advantage.

Is there any combos in this game? I found that most card effects are stat modifying effects such as increase defence or attack. If I were the compare VS System with MTG, it seems that MTG cards has more "cool" effects compared to VS System.

Another thing is that, most deck seems to work only if they are all from the same faction. It seems that putting cards from different factions in a deck has an anormous drawback. Is there any reason for players to include cards of different faction in the same deck?

Lastly, I would like to know why did this game end up dead. What are the mistakes that UDE made that cause this to happen?

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K K
msg tools
No response?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Morris
Scotland
Harrogate
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
designer
Join the BGG Folding @Home Team !!
badge
This user had more :gg: than sense
mbmbmbmbmb
CCGer wrote:
No response?
You would presumably have a better chance if you listed this in the forum for the game in question. Anyone very interested in the game will have subscribed to that - they are unlikely to spot a post in a place like this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emile de Maat
Netherlands
Hengelo
Overijssel
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Moved Thread
Moved this thread from the General Gaming forum to the Vs. System General forum.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Pinchback
United States
Leonard
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been noticing random packs of these cards around town at stores like 5 and Below for a dollar a pack. Needless to say I bought a bunch but haven't actually had the chance to play yet. They look cool though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan DeLano
United States
West Valley City
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CCGer wrote:
I have often hear that VS System is among the most strategic CCG out there. Is that really true?

It is certainly one of the more strategic CCG's I've personally played. It is probably just as strategic as MTG or most of the top level games, and had a very strong pro circuit, which speaks to that as well. Unlike Magic, however, it seemed to have less game-breaking combinations and flavor of the month decks; at least in my group.

CCGer wrote:

So far with my experience with the PSP game, it seems that as long as you have initiative, you can just use your big guys to destroy all your opponent's guys, making them run out of guys when it is time for their combat step.And, can you people explain when is the right move to reinforce your character? So far, I did not see the need to reinforce at all, and it seems that the player with the characters of higher stats tend to get the advantage.

The player with the better quality cards (in this case, characters with higher stats) is usually going to be the winner in games like this. The same is true here. When building most typical decks, it's important to have the appropriate quantity of heroes of increasing cost, since the goal is usually to have heroes that follow the resource curve of the game.

Reinforcing is a key part of the game. It is important any time you don't want to take breakthrough damage. That is to say, all the time. I really can't explain it any better than that. The only way you won't need reinforcement is if you can somehow ensure that you always have exactly one character that is powerful enough to not have to worry about taking more damage than it has defense. That scenario is unlikely

CCGer wrote:

Is there any combos in this game? I found that most card effects are stat modifying effects such as increase defence or attack. If I were the compare VS System with MTG, it seems that MTG cards has more "cool" effects compared to VS System.

The combos are there, but not as prevalent as MTG. Each team has its own unique mechanics, and some of these are more combo-based than others. The amount of combos also seemed to creep into the game over time, so if you are playing Origins or any of the earlier sets, you are going to see far less card interaction than if you were to play later sets like Justice League, Marvel Team-Up and such. The combos are there if you want them. The effects are usually more subtle than Magic, but will win you games all the same.

CCGer wrote:

Another thing is that, most deck seems to work only if they are all from the same faction. It seems that putting cards from different factions in a deck has an anormous drawback. Is there any reason for players to include cards of different faction in the same deck?

There are team-up cards that are fairly prevalent in the game that allow you to bring two teams together, sometimes specific teams. For example, I have a Fantastic Four/Doom deck which features cards that impact both FF and Doom teams specifically. Typically the only reason you would want to team up like that is either for specific card effects, or theme.

CCGer wrote:

Lastly, I would like to know why did this game end up dead. What are the mistakes that UDE made that cause this to happen?

I don't know the real answer to this question. In a way, the game did feel like it had run its course. It had several expansions over the years. More than enough to cover the major parts of both Marvel and DC (and some Indie titles). On the other hand, when the WoW card game came out, it felt like the VS. System was dropped like a ton of bricks. It really seemed like VS. was the test bed for a lot of ideas, and when they came across a more successful property, they just phased it out in favor of that. It sucks, but I still have thousands of cards to play with, so I can't complain too much.

This game has a lot to offer, and you can find a lot of cheap places online, and possibly offline, to buy cards. If you can find people to play with, I say do it. It remains my favorite CCG of all time, and I still play it as often as I can.

Prax
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.