Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Robert Pollard
United Kingdom
Bristol
Avon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Played Plataea last night and had a blast. But a few questions and things I need clarifying came out from play:

1. Would I be correct in saying that with regard to heavy infantry being on a hill attacking downwards, there is no inherent advantage? The way I have been playing it is that the +1 modifier for lead infantry attacking downhill gets cancelled out by the -1 modifier of lead infantry attacking from or into a hill?

2. There is a +1 modifier for 'cavalry or chariots attacking heavy infantry, if both units are on edge tiles, the heavy infantry are accompanied by fresh cavalry, chariots or light infantry, or...' etc etc.
My question is does this mean that for the sentence shown above the units in question must be in an edge tile AND must be accompanied by fresh cavalry, chariots or light infantry?

3. The hoplite rule where they must always use all out attack where available, should this be modified to mean 'only where the enemy unit will suffer additional damage'? The reason I ask is that one can get into a few situations where it would appear mad to go all-out. One example being when attacking spent troops and getting a +3.

4. Would I be right in saying that if a leader is in a tile where the owning player is conducting an attack, presumably the leader cannot save his attack bonuses if he is not the lead unit? The way I have been playing it is that if there are other units going first the leader must use his attack bonuses with them first?

5. I had a situation last night where the Greek centre was about to collapse. To prevent their leader dying I decided to activate the two individual veteran units with one separate express activation each and use one action to perform a 180 turn and the other action to move one tile back. (leaving the units facing the wrong way)

To achieve this I found that I had to deliberately pay points to get the units in the tile behind them to also do a 180 degree turn so that when the Vet units arrived everyone would be facing the same way - as per one of the rules. Is this correct or have I misinterpreted it?

Have to say really enjoyed the game and will be playing another today :)

Regards
RobP
http://AncientArmies.co.uk
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reinhard Mueller
Germany
Gauting
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
FlashPan wrote:

2. There is a +1 modifier for 'cavalry or chariots attacking heavy infantry, if both units are on edge tiles, the heavy infantry are accompanied by fresh cavalry, chariots or light infantry, or...' etc etc.
My question is does this mean that for the sentence shown above the units in question must be in an edge tile AND must be accompanied by fresh cavalry, chariots or light infantry?

It's edge tiles or the HI are accompanied...
Again it's clear in the rules in the books appendix, page 236. In the rulebook and the quick reference the "or" is lost making the rule ambiguous.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Sabin
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
1. Would I be correct in saying that with regard to heavy infantry being on a hill attacking downwards, there is no inherent advantage? The way I have been playing it is that the +1 modifier for lead infantry attacking downhill gets cancelled out by the -1 modifier of lead infantry attacking from or into a hill?

- Yes. For comparison, lead HI attacking uphill do get a net -1, while lead LI attacking downhill get a net +1.

- 'Or' rather than 'and', as the others have said.

3. The hoplite rule where they must always use all out attack where available, should this be modified to mean 'only where the enemy unit will suffer additional damage'? The reason I ask is that one can get into a few situations where it would appear mad to go all-out. One example being when attacking spent troops and getting a +3.

- This is a nuance which does need clarification. Against scythed chariots or a valid LI screen, hoplite all-out attacks which would make no difference are indeed not required, but against a single spent unit, a second hit on a +3 differential does have to be inflicted (partly because the first hit might be rallied).

4. Would I be right in saying that if a leader is in a tile where the owning player is conducting an attack, presumably the leader cannot save his attack bonuses if he is not the lead unit? The way I have been playing it is that if there are other units going first the leader must use his attack bonuses with them first?

- Yes, generals' exemptions are always applied automatically at the first opportunity, to save having to remember them.

5. I had a situation last night where the Greek centre was about to collapse. To prevent their leader dying I decided to activate the two individual veteran units with one separate express activation each and use one action to perform a 180 turn and the other action to move one tile back. (leaving the units facing the wrong way)

To achieve this I found that I had to deliberately pay points to get the units in the tile behind them to also do a 180 degree turn so that when the Vet units arrived everyone would be facing the same way - as per one of the rules. Is this correct or have I misinterpreted it?

- This sounds exactly right. Note that, as hoplites, the Greeks would be ineligible for a free initial about turn, even if not outflanked.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Pollard
United Kingdom
Bristol
Avon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the quick reply Philip - it would seem that I'm playing the game pretty much according to the book :)

Thanks
RobP
http://AncientArmies.co.uk

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.