8 Posts

Space Crusade» Forums » Rules

Subject: Blips - How and When do you put them on the board? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
The Orientalist
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I am a bit confused about the blips placement.

When EXACTLY is the Alien player putting the blips on the boards?

When the marines enters that board?

Before the game starts?

How many blips can the Alien player put on one board or within one room? Can he put 10 blips within one room?!?

This part is completely missing from the rulebook.

I have no idea when and how many blips can the Alien player put on the boards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Martin
United Kingdom
Lincoln
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's been a while since I played, but from what I remember the alien player waits until a marine steps onto a new board section. He can then place as many blips as he wants onto that section. The only thing to remember is if you put loads of blips against one marine player, you'll have less to put into the other boards to use against the other marine players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Dale
Australia
Moggill
Queensland
flag msg tools
designer
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
badge
When will the die stop rolling? What face finishes showing?
mbmbmbmbmb
When the first marine enters a board section, the marine pauses they movement and the alien player places all blips on that board segment. The marine player then continues their movement.

Loading everything against one player isn't a bad strategy for the alien player BTW. Not much fun for the other marine players though.

- Pauli
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Orientalist
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thank you Darren and Pauli. Oh my, I love this game. For me, it is even better than Space Hulk!

Btw, it seems it is not so hard to play Space Crusade solo. I mean, com'on, you just play the Alien cards / blips not looking at them when you play them / place them on the board. I think there will be tension enough to play it solo, on the Marines side. With a "blind" Alien player. I am going to give this a try tonight.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roy Anderson
United States
Schertz
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How did your solo play work out? I've been meaning to try this out myself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Sammut
Australia
Richmond
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Orientalist wrote:
I am a bit confused about the blips placement.

That's what we are here for!

Orientalist wrote:
When EXACTLY is the Alien player putting the blips on the boards?

When the marines enters that board?

Before the game starts?

As soon as the first Marine, from any Squad, steps onto a new Board section, the Marine player stops to allow the Alien Player to place new Blips onto the new Section (in accordance with Line of Sight rules).

Orientalist wrote:
How many blips can the Alien player put on one board or within one room? Can he put 10 blips within one room?!?

As the Alien player, you can place as many Blips as you like anywhere on that new Section.

Yes, you can place them all in one room if you like - but watch out for the Marine with the Missile Launcher!!

For the base-game, I will usually place about 8 Blips per Board section - as there are 32 Blips in total (although I usually also place the two Blank Blips for some added excitement!).
Minor Tactics Spoiler:
Spoiler (click to reveal)
I will try to place Blips just out of Movement range of the Marines, so I can open Doors and blast away!! Or run out and engage them in Hand to Hand Combat!!

You might also consider which Mission you are playing, which Reinforcement Blips you will get, and where the Reinforcement Entry Points are... You'll get a feel for it!!

Finally, depending on the Squad (and it's Equipment) that is entering the Board, I might place fewer Blips out in order to try to force them to spread out - or I might place larger Blips, like the Chaos Heavy Weapon or Androids, to try to thin the Squad out early - before they get too far into MY lovely ship!

Orientalist wrote:
This part is completely missing from the rulebook.

I have no idea when and how many blips can the Alien player put on the boards.

I hope this helps!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Liu
Australia
flag msg tools
In addition, when the alien event "Mothership Scan" is played, we allow the marine player to pick an unexplored board, which forces the alien player to pre-populate that board, which is then revealed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Morgan
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
paulidale wrote:
When the first marine enters a board section, the marine pauses they movement and the alien player places all blips on that board segment. The marine player then continues their movement...

If by the above statement you are saying after the first miniature has only advanced one square onto any board quadrant, that the blips should then be placed, this is in fact incorrect.

As the manual states (Page 8), and I'll quote it directly:

Quote:
Moving onto new Boards

When a marine or commander miniature is moved onto one of the four gameboards for the first time, the board must be scanned. The marine player should finish moving and/or firing the miniature that moved onto the board, then pause before he continues his turn. This will give the Alien player the opportunity to place out any Blip tokens that he wishes.

Once the Alien player has placed out any blip tokens that he wishes, the Marine player may continue to move and/or fire with those miniatures he has left to move.

Why is this factor important? Because with the amount of bends in corridors and adjacent rooms near the docking claws, finishing the movement phase of the first Marine player's miniature on his first turn, will have a greater effect on where blip tokens can be placed in relation to the marine chapter's entry point, and doing anything other than what the rule book suggests hands an unfair advantage in blip placement to the Alien player in some circumstances (i.e in places right on top of the marine player's entry point).

If the Marine player fails to explore a room right next to the docking Claw before the end of his movement phase (for that first Miniature) then the Alien player has every right to spring an ambush on that player, but he may NOT do so after the miniature has only advanced one square onto the board/quadrant. That's the difference.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.