Subject: Looking for a Clue type Game? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
Geneva
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello, Im looking for a game thats like Clue. Any good games out there? Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Franziska
Wales
Cardiff
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah good old Clue...

You should take a look at Mystery of the Abbey and Mystery Express.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
What do you mean by clue like:

i) Very much like clue
or
ii) Has a deduction mechanic like clue?

Like Clue:
Mr. Jack
+1 Mystery of the Abbey and Mystery Express.

With a good deduction mechanic:
Scotland Yard
Letters from Whitechapel
Nuns on the Run
The Resistance
Battlestar Galactica: The Board Game (a little complicated)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Geneva
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mystery of the Abbey looks great but I think its oop..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve R Bullock
United States
Palm Coast
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
coco123 wrote:

OOP but not unavailable. Look here and on Ebay...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Sinnett
United States
Philomath
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sleuth is rather highly-regarded... And it's quite difficult to go wrong with a Sackson design, in my experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave
United States
Summerville
South Carolina
flag msg tools
What daring! What outrageousness! What insolence! What arrogance!... I salute you.
badge
Conan! What is best in life? Crush your enemies. See them driven before you. Hear the lamentations of their women.
mbmbmbmbmb
Datura wrote:

+1 thumbsup

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guest Starring...
Austria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
coco123 wrote:

I agree that it sounds great, but I think that the execution is deeply flawed, and that the game is very disappointing. Definitely try before buying.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Morris
Scotland
Harrogate
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
designer
Join the BGG Folding @Home Team !!
badge
This user had more :gg: than sense
mbmbmbmbmb
Black Vienna - which is long OOP, but there are PnP files on its game page

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Less snark is my goal.
United States
Allen Park
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
Have you joined the 2017 Secret Cthanta yet?
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think Tobago has some of the deductive elements of Clue. Players play clue cards which gradually limit the location of treasure until there is only one possible location for the treasure; once it's dug up they get a payout based on how many clues they contributed.

HeroCard Nightmare might be hard to find now, but it is also similar to clue. There are 4 players attempting to scare each other to death. Each player can only be scared to death in a particular room and by a particular killer. You make guesses and observe others guesses trying to identify which room and killer will scare the other players to death.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Nowak
United States
Greenville
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
You have paid retail for the last time.
badge
The human race, to which so many of my readers belong, has been playing at children's games from the beginning, and will probably do it till the end, which is a nuisance for the few people who grow up. - GKC
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 Mystery of the Abbey. Used copies go for about retail right now.

Also, don't neglect:

Clue Master Detective
and
Clue: The Great Museum Caper
for a quick fix,
Clue: The Card Game is pretty good.

I can barely stand this game, but my wife and one of my sons likes it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Morris
Scotland
Harrogate
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, and Zendo might scratch the itch. The boxed set is long OOP, but you only need a few sets of pyramids and coloured bits, so it is easy enough to make a set. The rules are available online. Unlike Cluedo (I refuse to call it clue) it is inductive, rather than deductive.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tiwaz Tyrsfist
United States
Gladstone
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
Yay, Overtext bought with supporter GG!
badge
Supporter #3170 - I hope the bonus gets high enough that I can buy GeekBadge Overtext!
mbmbmbmbmb
I spent a great deal of time myself trying to find a game that I'd consider a "Grown-up Euro Version of Clue".

My personal choice is Mystery Express

Here's why.

It's the same sort of deduction as Clue. You have a list of items and by checking cards you eliminate items to find the one item in each category that is the Murder (weapon, location, etc).
However, since there are 2 of each card (3 of each time card), it's more challenging to rule out a specific item.

Also, it does a good job of being like clue WITHOUT the parts of Clue that we all find annoying. Mystery Express does not have Roll and Move. You simply go to the car you wish to use. The suspects are NOT the player characters. You CANNOT be the murderer! Also, since there's no roll and more and no players as suspects, there's doubly none of that "Finally, I made it to the billiard room after three rounds of crap rolls!" Next player "I think it could have been player one in the Kitchen" and your teleported across the board again...

Other things I like about Mystery Express. You have to figure out FIVE categories, not just three. Who did it, How they did it, and Where they did it just as in Clue, but also WHY they did it, and WHEN.
The game has a set number of rounds, so it can't drag on forever. Not that that happened often in Clue, but occasionally.

The only part of the game we didn't like was the way the Time deduction rounds happened. But it's a small annoyance in an otherwise wonderful game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Valentine
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Unlike Clue, it is highly possible for one or more players to deny you crucial pieces of information in Mystery Express. That can be very frustrating if you like games of pure deduction.

Lee
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nello Cozzolino
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
Brascogames London U.K. www.brascogames.webs.com
mbmbmbmbmb
The Mysteries of Peking
..new version ..old chinatown

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dearlove
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
SoRCon 11 23-25 Feb 2018 Basildon UK http://www.sorcon.co.uk
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
coco123 wrote:

Mystery of the Abbey looks good. But it's fatally flawed by the system that when I ask a question everyone else hears the answer, so where's my gain?

Unless, that is, I can ask a question with hidden information in it. So I try this, when I have seen a card from a bother player. "Have you got the character directly below the one you shoed me?" "I don't remember which character that was". Duh.

I've not found anything better than Cluedo (the original and proper name). The original, not any newfangled version. And with one rule change and one clarification/change. The change is to throw away the die and just allow a move from a room to the next one round the outside (plus the passages). The clarification/change (which it is depends on the ruleset you have) is that when you make your final accusation it does no need to match your preceding suggestion, and there is no need to be in the room in question.

And the deceased is Dr. Black.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Morris
Scotland
Harrogate
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dearlove wrote:
coco123 wrote:

Mystery of the Abbey looks good. But it's fatally flawed by the system that when I ask a question everyone else hears the answer, so where's my gain?

Unless, that is, I can ask a question with hidden information in it. So I try this, when I have seen a card from a bother player. "Have you got the character directly below the one you shoed me?" "I don't remember which character that was". Duh.

I've not found anything better than Cluedo (the original and proper name). The original, not any newfangled version. And with one rule change and one clarification/change. The change is to throw away the die and just allow a move from a room to the next one round the outside (plus the passages). The clarification/change (which it is depends on the ruleset you have) is that when you make your final accusation it does no need to match your preceding suggestion, and there is no need to be in the room in question.

And the deceased is Dr. Black.

Look at Black Vienna. It distills a Cluedo-like game down to its essence - without having to faff about with a board at all. It, too, can have its problems, though. If one player makes a mistake with a reply, then the game is ruined for everyone - but I suspect that is true for many of this type of game. The other problem that can arise is that you may be unable to ask the question that you want to ask - questions are not 'free form' but limited to what is on cards. But I think it is worthwile, and I certainly prefer it to a non-house-ruled Cluedo.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Leet
United States
Burlington
Vermont
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Re: Looking for a Clue type Game?
HikariStarshine wrote:
Sleuth is rather highly-regarded... And it's quite difficult to go wrong with a Sackson design, in my experience.

Sleuth is a great choice if you like the deductive elements of Clue.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Mercer Island
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
monkeyhandz wrote:
What do you mean by clue like:

i) Very much like clue
or
ii) Has a deduction mechanic like clue?

Excellent questions.

Quote:
Like Clue:
Mr. Jack

I completely and totally disagree with this. We bought MJ thinking it would be a light deductive romp like Clue, but it is really a chaotic/thinky/bluffing cat-and-mouse game. It's more about being clever moving pieces around on the board than it is about deducing.

For us, Clue FX was the answer. The computer gizmo allows it to work well with 2 players, which was important to us. It also avoids three of the biggest problems with the original game, namely:
- Roll and move
- Unwanted teleportation
- I accuse....myself!!!

It's not a great game. But it does give the Clue experience, for 2-4 players, better than the original.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clem Fandango
New Zealand
WELLINGTON
flag msg tools
Stephen, it's Clem Fandango. Can you hear me?
badge
YES I can hear you Clem Fandango!
mbmbmbmbmb

try this geeklist

Best Mystery Board Games
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.