Popular Tags: [View All]
Nathan James
United States
Covington
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Arimaa World Championship is in progress now at arimaa.com, some games have live commentary from highly rated players. It's a good opportunity to learn some of the subtle strategy that's not immediately clear when first approaching the game.

Sign up at the gameroom http://arimaa.com/arimaa/gameroom/ and tune in for one of the games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan James
United States
Covington
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Game with commentary starts in half an hour.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan James
United States
Covington
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
The excitement is through the roof, as the World Championship nears completion. It looks very likely that 4-time world champion Jean Daligault, "Chessandgo", will be defeated by the enigmatic Tarou Asou. In order to win Daligault needs to beat Asou three times in a row. Tarou Asou, "Hanzack", needs only one more win to claim the victory, having already defeated Daligault as well as former world champion Karl Juhnke earlier in this tournament.

The next and possibly last game is scheduled for Monday 9am Easter Daylight Time.

Although I haven't been able to catch anywhere near of all the games live, they are a blast to watch and follow along with the live commentary. Also, there are videos of at least some of the games that are available to watch after the fact.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Calvin Daniels
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I love the live play-by-play of world championship games, and the colour commentary.

So question, do any other abstract strategy games do the same thing?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan James
United States
Covington
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Videos here: http://arimaa.com/arimaa/videos/2012wc/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Talisinbear wrote:
So question, do any other abstract strategy games do the same thing?

Other than the big classic games like chess and go, I am not aware of any, though I suppose it surely must happen occasionally with other games.

I watched/listened to one of the Arimaa ones in a previous championship and indeed enjoyed it! Need to check out one or two from this year...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Leach
United Kingdom
Godalming
Surrey
flag msg tools
designer
I watched hanzack v fritzlein yesterday it was really enjoyable. Especially the ten minutes where they were adamant that hanzack was about to lose at any moment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew
Japan
Tokyo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Is the commentary available somewhere? It sounds like it was quite a dramatic match.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris lake
United States
Hewitt
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Im been at bridge tournaments where there is a live feed into another room of high-end matches. I wouldnt be surprised if some matches got streamed online.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, is the "lein" in "Fritzlein" supposed to rhyme with "wine" (as I would suppose since it seems obviously from German) or with "win" (as I heard a lot in the game commentary)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Leach
United Kingdom
Godalming
Surrey
flag msg tools
designer
I pronounce it (in my head) as "leen".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fritz Juhnke
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
russ wrote:
Ok, is the "lein" in "Fritzlein" supposed to rhyme with "wine" (as I would suppose since it seems obviously from German)

That one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.