Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Peter Belocas
United States
Natick
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi. I am toying with the idea of getting this game or not. How well does this game play with more that two players?

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's really a 2p game, I'd classify the 3-4p as being more like variants.

Officially, when you have additional players you split the sides into two.

3p: Shadow side is split into one player controlling the Sauron forces, the other controlling Isengard & Easterlings

4p: Free People's side is split into one player controlling Gondor & the Elves, the other controlling Rohan, Dwarves, and the North

Or, you can just let both player discuss what to do and run the whole side together.

It still works fine and is a good game either way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Belocas
United States
Natick
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
From what I'm seeing elsewhere online this doesn't play that well with more than two players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Ekberg
Sweden
Malmö
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
We usually play it with 4 players but using normal 2-player rules and it works good that way, the two teams can argue and debate tactics and so on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Lloyd
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have played many times, with both 2, 3 and 4 players and enjoyed it very much with all those numbers.

I personally would highly recommend following the actual rules for 3-4 players, which mean that 2 sequential action dice cannot be used on the same faction. In the 4 player game, the Free Peoples are split into Gondor/Elves and Rohan/Dwarves/Northmen while the Shadow is split into Sauron and Isengard/Southrons. We find this tends to encourage more even use of all the factions versus the 2 player game and makes the game feel different.

If you love LOTR, you will love this game. Watching the storyline play out very differently each time is fascinating. I think the game would be far less interesting if you're not a big LOTR fan.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.