Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bernd Caspers
Germany
Mönchengladbach
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I´m not talking about Eurogames like Entdecker or Carcassonne that have a mild exploration element, I´m talking about thematic games about epic, adventurous expeditions, like the exploration of Africa or the drama of the race for the South Pole.

The only game I can think of which is a real exploration game in the category I have in mind is Source of the Nile.
I think there is much potential for tense and exciting games with competing expeditions.
There are so many indepentend game designers on this site, maybe someone can come up with something here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guest Starring...
Austria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Definitely a question worth exploring!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Morris
Scotland
Harrogate
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
designer
Join the BGG Folding @Home Team !!
badge
This user had more :gg: than sense
mbmbmbmbmb
E Decker wrote:
Definitely a question worth exploring!
Is your first name Ent?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Roy
United Kingdom
Bath
GB
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Spanish Main
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Lacer
United States
Cobalt
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We've got a couple rare ones in our collection:

Safe Return Doubtful about the exploration of the Arctic in search of the Northwest Passage

Assault on Mt. Everest about, well, I think you can guess
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hey, I've created a video channel! Hover over my avatar to get more info! :) - Josh -
Canada
Cambridge
Ontario
flag msg tools
My video channel has a Facebook page - Find it by searching "Josh Yaks page" on Facebook
badge
Find my video channel on YouTube as "Josh Yaks"!
mbmbmbmbmb
The Jakster wrote:
...I´m talking about thematic games about epic, adventurous expeditions, like the exploration of Africa or the drama of the race for the South Pole.

...tense and exciting games with competing expeditions...

Caravelas fits those criteria and has a lot of historical info included with the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Good Question Bernd! I've been looking for more of these myself at the moment. Source of the Nile seems to be the best in breed, doesn't it?

I'd say Star Trek Fleet Captains is pretty good about giving an "exploration" feeling, but it's not nearly as detailed as SOTN. Just reading the cards for Nile from the PBEM site, you can tell those cards all fit together in really intricate ways where no two stories ever come out the same. It looks like it has all the trappings of a Tales of the Arabian Nights-like wild ride, but with an actual strategy game underneath.

I've been digging around the depths of BGG for other such games myself without much success (and digging up games that nobody has ever heard of is what I'm known for among my friends).

I'd be interested to see what people turn up (and then one of us should make a geeklist!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Belli
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking."
mbmbmbmbmb
As a big fan of exploration games...

mb

...who has designed a couple including this prototype...

Empires in the New World

...it is my opinion that a carefully crafted exploration game can become a Euro-wargame hybrid that might generate decent sales.

For me, the problem was a shortage of local playtesters for epic multi-player sessions.

To other designers, I recommend pushing forward!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"L'état, c'est moi."
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Roger's Reviews: check out my reviews page, right here on BGG!
badge
Caution: May contain wargame like substance
mbmbmbmbmb
Would Conquest of Paradise fit your bill too?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judit Szepessy
Canada
London
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Age of Empires III: The Age of Discovery - you get to explore the New World. I found the game quite thematic, certainly engaging. The only thing I did not like was the hidden information of the tiles you can turn up when you get to discover an area - you do not know the value of the tile before you get there.
But it is a game worth exploring, and the expansion only improves it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luis Fernandez
Venezuela
Caracas
Miranda
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Play Twilight Imperium (Third Edition) with strong DISTANT SUNS rule, and that´s what i call exploration! (with lots of risks) And play with turn down galaxies and would be a great challenge more than battling others.

In Sid Meier's Civilization: The Board Game playing spain you make lots of fun exploring, but ends pretty fast for my pleasure.

Most of the 4X games give you a good exploration factor

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A.J. Sansom
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been very satisfied with my PnP version of Merchant of Venus. You get to go truckin' around the different planetary systems and set up your trade routes. I love it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Wood
United States
Darien
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am working on an exploration jungle adventure game. I can post the rules if you would like to see them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
judoka wrote:
Age of Empires III: The Age of Discovery - you get to explore the New World. I found the game quite thematic, certainly engaging. The only thing I did not like was the hidden information of the tiles you can turn up when you get to discover an area - you do not know the value of the tile before you get there.
But it is a game worth exploring, and the expansion only improves it.

Sounds like what you didn't like about the game is kind of exactly what the rest of us like about this genre... In many of these games you don't know what's going to happen to you before you wander into a new space. You might make an amazing discovery, find riches, or lose half your team in a rockslide. FUN!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Walkley
United Kingdom
Birmingham
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I'm following this thread with interest! I love my old copy of SotN but would really like to see something new in this genre. I tend to find many of the current crop of exploration games to be too Euro-like or abstract in their implementation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Young
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
mbmb
Wow thanks for bringing this up.. I'd love a great game along those lines and despite the few suggestions it does look like a genre waiting to be explored (sorry). I'm sure that more than a few of you are playing the video game Skyrim - for me it's not an RPG or an action game, it's all about turning the corner and discovering what's there. I'd love that feeling of awe and excitement from a board game too. Difficult to do I suppose because board games need to be replayable so that would have to be designed in...

Fantasy Flight - are you listening? I sense endless expansion possibilities!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay G
Canada
flag msg tools
Not too familiar w/ alot of the games in the topic, but Betrayal at House on the Hill is a fun game w/ exploration elements

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Pinchback
United States
Leonard
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tikal for me is very thematic and I feel like I'm on a real exploration.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.