Ender Wiggins
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not making this up. I witnessed an eleven year old pull off a most remarkable win as Player 1 on Turn 1. Yep, he actually won the game before anyone else at the table even got to play a single turn. Here's how it happened:

It's Game #7. The Mission card for placing the World Capital is face up at the start of the game. And coincidentally, the only territory card in the entire deck at that point which entitles someone to claim that Mission (I won't provide details so as not to spoil the game for others) is also face up. And what's more, Big Brother has placed his HQ in that very territory.

Seeing an opportunity, Little Brother places his HQ within striking distance of Big Brother, just two territories away. The other players think he's nuts, because it's not usually the best policy to begin in the same continent as the enemy, let alone set up shop so close by.

But Little Brother is Player #1 in turn order, so he immediately executes his game plan by attacking on the very first turn of the game. He successfully takes out Big Brother's HQ with a quick strike. But now here's the best and most unlikely bit - he kills two birds with the same stone because his eligibility to claim the matching territory card means he completes the Mission for placing the World Capital.

And that's that, because he now has all the red stars he needs to win. Easily.

Game Over. On Turn 1. And the rest of us didn't even get to play a single turn. Just wow!

Everything had to come together perfectly to make it happen. But it did. What a game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Player 1, Turn 1, GAME OVER. A preteen gets the fastest possible win ever! (vague spoilers only)
That is pretty sweet. I've been hoping to try the same thing ever sense we had access to the mission cards. The World Capital Mission hasn't come up yet though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steel N Dirt
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Player 1, Turn 1, GAME OVER. A preteen gets the fastest possible win ever! (vague spoilers only)
Great win. I think a player for one of our games tried to do that for his opening move, but he had picked 5th turn and the player he was going to do that too had expanded to a bunkered territory next to his with a ton of troops. Yeah, that game wasn't as fast...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Johnson
United Kingdom
Boston
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Why did no-one use Missiles to stop him winning all the battles? Did they just not see the danger of allowing him to take over that HQ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris LeMasters
United States
Rancho Santa Fe
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CraigRJ wrote:
Why did no-one use Missiles to stop him winning all the battles? Did they just not see the danger of allowing him to take over that HQ?

My attempt at a similar strategy (on turn 2 though) resulting in 3 missiles being played... very memorable. This mission (world capital) seems to invite that sort of action (a quick dash for early victory AND missile deployment by multiple players).

Bravo, Rob. Bravo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.