Recommend
13 
 Thumb up
 Hide
51 Posts
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 

Carcassonne» Forums » News

Subject: 6 new mini-expansions are on its way rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike S.
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Apparantly Hans im Glueck will release 6 new mini expansions at the Toy fair in Nürnberg Germany next month.
The expansions are:
Die Depeschen des Königs: The cables of the king ???
Die Fähren: The ferries
Die Fluggeräte: The aircrafts
Die Räuber: The robbers
Goldmine
Magier und Hexe: The Magician and the witch

I suspect some of them being official releases of fan-expansions available at CarcassonneCentral.

Die Depeschen des Königs could by By the order of the King.
Goldmine could be Goldmines
Magier und Hexe could be Wizards and witches
8 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Player77 wrote:
Die Fluggeräte: The aircrafts


shake

"There were lobsters present at the birth of baby Jesus?"
7 
 Thumb up
1.00
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gunther Schmidl
Austria
Linz
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmb
A "Depesche" is basically a telegram.

EDIT: I propose the new verb "georgelucasing" for running something that's already jumped the shark nuked the fridge catapulted the meeple even further into the ground.
9 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Wheelock
Canada
Woodstock
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
badge
David Malki drew this!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Jeebus frickin'...

I just bought and organized a Plano box for all my expansions!
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Korfmann
United States
Wilson
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Player77 wrote:
I suspect some of them being official releases of fan-expansions available at CarcassonneCentral.


Being a moderator at Carcassonne Central, this is of particular concern for me, especially since our idea sumbissions were turned down. Could they have sunk so low as to steal ideas from their most devoted fan base? I sincerely hope not!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan Wuttig
Germany
Melsungen
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
There is something special with these 6 new mini expansions for Carcassonne.

The combination of all 6 result in a seventh expansion.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike S.
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe RGG will release them someday as such indeed.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Connor Cranston
Netherlands
Rotterdam
Zuid-Holland
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Small descriptions from 999Games.....translated:

The Airplanes: the planes fly meeples to different tiles, but where they will land is still unknown!
Newsflash: Players get an extra meeple on the scoreboard, with which they can draw a news-message to gain extra points
Ferries: with the ferries you can connect roads to ferry-docks
Goldmines: collect goldpieces. The more you have, the more they are worth!
Wizards And Witches: The wizard makes you gain points, while the witch cuts them in half!!
Robber: With the robber you can score someone else's points.

◦In Carcassonne: De Vliegtuigen vliegen horigen over andere tegels, maar waar ze precies landen is ongewis.
◦In Carcassonne: Nieuwsberichten krijgen de spelers een extra horige op het scorespoor, waarmee ze soms een nieuwsbericht mogen trekken en extra punten scoren.
◦In Carcassonne: De Veerboten kunnen spelers wegen met veerponten verbinden.
◦In Carcassonne: De Goudmijnen verzamelen de spelers goudstukken. Hoe meer ze er verzamelen, des te meer zijn ze per stuk waard.
◦In Carcassonne: Tovenaar en Heks levert de tovenaar extra punten bij een telling op, terwijl de heks de punten juist halveert.
◦In Carcassonne: De Rovers kunnen spelers meeprofiteren van de eerstvolgende telling van een speler naar keuze.

Sounds interesting.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J J
Australia
flag msg tools
ckorfmann wrote:
Player77 wrote:
I suspect some of them being official releases of fan-expansions available at CarcassonneCentral.


Being a moderator at Carcassonne Central, this is of particular concern for me, especially since our idea sumbissions were turned down. Could they have sunk so low as to steal ideas from their most devoted fan base? I sincerely hope not!


Highly doubtful. Instant copyright infringement and litigation. And no leg to stand on. So it won't be that.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rodrigo Tjäder
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
Rio de Janeiro
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmb
JasonJ0 wrote:
ckorfmann wrote:
Being a moderator at Carcassonne Central, this is of particular concern for me, especially since our idea sumbissions were turned down. Could they have sunk so low as to steal ideas from their most devoted fan base? I sincerely hope not!


Highly doubtful. Instant copyright infringement and litigation. And no leg to stand on. So it won't be that.


Copyright doesn't cover game ideas. So, unless they used the same artwork it isn't copyright infringement.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
W. Eric Martin
United States
Apex
North Carolina
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
Avatar
Player77 wrote:
Maybe RGG will release them someday as such indeed.

Yes, Jay has confirmed he'll do them, with a release date of March/April 2012.
10 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Greaves
United States
SALEM
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
These look really cool. I went to Carcassonnecentral and looked up the ones that had the sameish names, goldmines, witch and wizard, order of the king. And it looks like, given the official descriptions, that there are a lot of similarities in the game ideas i.e. witch makes you lose points, wizard gives points. and the King gives a task that needs to get completed. Interesting...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J J
Australia
flag msg tools
rodrigotjader wrote:
JasonJ0 wrote:
ckorfmann wrote:
Being a moderator at Carcassonne Central, this is of particular concern for me, especially since our idea sumbissions were turned down. Could they have sunk so low as to steal ideas from their most devoted fan base? I sincerely hope not!


Highly doubtful. Instant copyright infringement and litigation. And no leg to stand on. So it won't be that.


Copyright doesn't cover game ideas. So, unless they used the same artwork it isn't copyright infringement.


Well I was rather assuming they meant that the work had simply been grabbed and used.

However, you CAN be sued for using someone else's idea that has been in some way submitted to you (claiming for loss of earnings) - happens in Hollywood all the time for movie ideas. Not sure just how far the concept extends, though. That sort of thing doesn't revolve around copyright.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carlos F.
Spain
Valladolid
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Received this image in my newsletter from HiG:
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kay K.
Germany
Munich
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Quote:
The combination of all 6 result in a seventh expansion.


According to HiG, the seventh expansion will be corn circles. Every one of the new mini expansions will include one of the crop circle tiles. I wonder if it will be the same with the Rio Grande version, should there be one, given that they already released the crop circles separately.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Whaley
New Zealand
Christchurch
flag msg tools
Darius I – 73rd Great Khan of the Illustrius Barbarian Horde, Duque San Lorenzo, Marquis de Feltón, Chief of the Zayante, Baron von Whaleyland, Lord Kennedy
badge
Arrgh!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the higher resolution photo. That's awesome that all the icons are printed directly on the boxes. I was wondering if each would be a unique new icon or if the entire box would use the same one.

Concerning Corn Circles, I think RGG will release the same exact thing. They already have the box art released for Unpublished Prototype. Corn Circles already released in Germany as a promo in the base game. I'm sure some of those copies are still floating around Germany. In the U.S., there will just be two versions floating around too. I don't see any reason why having two copies of Corn Circles would be bad. It could just as easily be a 12-tile expansion as a 6-tile. Or you could give the second set away to a friend.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James W
Canada
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
JasonJ0 wrote:
rodrigotjader wrote:
JasonJ0 wrote:
ckorfmann wrote:
Being a moderator at Carcassonne Central, this is of particular concern for me, especially since our idea sumbissions were turned down. Could they have sunk so low as to steal ideas from their most devoted fan base? I sincerely hope not!


Highly doubtful. Instant copyright infringement and litigation. And no leg to stand on. So it won't be that.


Copyright doesn't cover game ideas. So, unless they used the same artwork it isn't copyright infringement.


Well I was rather assuming they meant that the work had simply been grabbed and used.

However, you CAN be sued for using someone else's idea that has been in some way submitted to you (claiming for loss of earnings) - happens in Hollywood all the time for movie ideas. Not sure just how far the concept extends, though. That sort of thing doesn't revolve around copyright.


From what I understand, board game rules and designs and Hollywood movie ideas are NOT the same. In the US, you could copy someone's game design EXACTLY and reskin it and you would still be acting within the law. How publishers protect themselves is by copyrighting the artwork.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J J
Australia
flag msg tools
kingjames01 wrote:
JasonJ0 wrote:

Well I was rather assuming they meant that the work had simply been grabbed and used.

However, you CAN be sued for using someone else's idea that has been in some way submitted to you (claiming for loss of earnings) - happens in Hollywood all the time for movie ideas. Not sure just how far the concept extends, though. That sort of thing doesn't revolve around copyright.


From what I understand, board game rules and designs and Hollywood movie ideas are NOT the same. In the US, you could copy someone's game design EXACTLY and reskin it and you would still be acting within the law. How publishers protect themselves is by copyrighting the artwork.


Well, I didn't mean the rules (well aware of how copyright works), I meant the concept - that's what happened with Avatar, for example. Although it may only be possible if you have some sort of working agreement, not just if you submit the stuff to someone.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pavel Prochazka
Czech Republic
Dobronin
Okres Jihlava
flag msg tools
I can´t wait for the pictures of the tiles. And of course for the rules.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
W. Eric Martin
United States
Apex
North Carolina
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
Avatar
paulhunter wrote:
I can´t wait for the pictures of the tiles. And of course for the rules.

No tile images yet, but I've updated the description for each of the six mini-expansions.
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Wheelock
Canada
Woodstock
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
badge
David Malki drew this!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
W Eric Martin wrote:
No tile images yet, but I've updated the description for each of the six mini-expansions.


Well, I'm pleasantly surprised. They all sound innovative and fun to use, and are definitely going on my wishlist.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Korfmann
United States
Wilson
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I do like what I'm seeing. While it's still possible that the original idea may have originated from expansions made by fans at Carcassonne Central, the descrptions are not similar to those on that site.

I'm not superstitious and I never gave a second thought to the whole Mayan calander 2012 thing, but dice in a Carcassonne expansion??? It just might be the end of the world!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Whaley
New Zealand
Christchurch
flag msg tools
Darius I – 73rd Great Khan of the Illustrius Barbarian Horde, Duque San Lorenzo, Marquis de Feltón, Chief of the Zayante, Baron von Whaleyland, Lord Kennedy
badge
Arrgh!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
ckorfmann wrote:
but dice in a Carcassonne expansion??? It just might be the end of the world!


Perhaps. I was unexpectedly excited about the prospect. I also hope they are standard-sized dice as having dice with double 1s, 2s, and 3s would be pretty cool.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
W. Eric Martin
United States
Apex
North Carolina
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
Avatar
Whaleyland wrote:
ckorfmann wrote:
but dice in a Carcassonne expansion??? It just might be the end of the world!


Perhaps. I was unexpectedly excited about the prospect. I also hope they are standard-sized dice as having dice with double 1s, 2s, and 3s would be pretty cool.

From what I saw, the die (singular) has square pips and not numbers. That could just be a filler image, however...
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J J
Australia
flag msg tools
ckorfmann wrote:
Well, I do like what I'm seeing. While it's still possible that the original idea may have originated from expansions made by fans at Carcassonne Central, the descrptions are not similar to those on that site.

I'm not superstitious and I never gave a second thought to the whole Mayan calander 2012 thing, but dice in a Carcassonne expansion??? It just might be the end of the world!


Went and read the decription because of this (not fond of the concept of the catapult, and don't care for the bazaar auctioning thing in Bridges - roughly put, stuff that detracts from the basic tile-placing mechanic).

Got to say that I think that's a fairly clever way to work a die into the game - you pick which direction you want to place a meeple, the die determines which of three possible targets you hit. Could have been much worse , and reminds me a little of the Tower (inasmuch as you need to consider lateral tiles, not just the one you are placing).
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.