5 Posts

Arkham Horror» Forums » Rules

Subject: Specific Rules Clarifications Please rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Warrick P
msg tools
mb
My wife and I picked this up at Christmas and I've played a few solo games. running two investigators just to get a handle on the flow of play. Last night we played our first game together and we had three investigators. I can imagine how much fun four is. The game loves throwing curve balls at you.

Anyway...

Twice now I've been at the Historical Society (IIRC) and the caretaker has offered me a lift to the Woods for birdwatching. There has been a gate and a monster there both times (those woods are dangerous). The way I've interpreted the rules is that because this is the Arkham Encounters phase I can accept the lift, immediately get sucked into the gate (not having to fight the monster) and subsequently have my Other World Encounter. A most efficient use of time. However, am I correct?

Secondly, I've had a few gates open up under my feet during the Mythos phase. There has been some discussion on this here but I'm not clear on the results. Even though I am delayed due to the gate opening up on me, next Other World Movement phase I stand up. Have an encounter. Next turn move. Have an encounter. Next turn move back to Arkham and potentially close/seal the gate. The whole Delayed thing didn't seem to have any affect on the turn of events. I know the mechanism is used elsewhere but am I using it right here?

Thanks guys, you have been a wealth of information so far.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Mc Cabe
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
There are those who look at things the way they are and ask why . . . I dream of things that never were and ask why not
mbmbmbmbmb
1) That's the way I play it. I think Richard may have included this scenario in his variant rules suggestion, forcing the investigator to fight.

2) It doesn't hurt during the Mythos Phase. I think this rule is included because a gate can open on an investigator during the Arkham Encounters Phase and the designer wanted there to be a penalty for having that happen, as opposed to an investigator volunarily entering a gate fully aware of what he was doing.

I guess the rationale is that between Mythos and movement a significant period of time has elapsed and the investigator uses that time to orient himself to his new surroundings.

Brian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
1) Officially, you ignore the monster as ruled by Kevin Wilson. However, it used to be rules that you have to deal with it and that old ruling keeps popping up in the FAQs in the expansion rules by mistake. So people think it is something that goes back and forth.

2) The delayed mechanism IS specifically for dealing with gates that open up during the Mythos Phase. This is how it would play out if you were not delayed:

Turn 1, Phase 5, Gate opens: you get sucked in to the first area of the OW
Turn 2, Phase 2, Movement: move to the 2nd are of the OW
Turn 2, Phase 4, OW Encounter: have your first encounter in the OW
Turn 3, Phase 2, Movement: move back to Arkham having had only a single OW encounter.

the delay mechanism is so that the first Phase 2 Movement, you stay put (stand up) so your first encounter is in the first half of the OW. On turn 3, you are moving toe the 2nd half of the OW and having your 2nd encounter. You don't return to Arkham until Turn 4.

Of course, encounters could delay or speed this up, but this is the standard sequence.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Mc Cabe
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
There are those who look at things the way they are and ask why . . . I dream of things that never were and ask why not
mbmbmbmbmb
Right. I wasn't considering that the investigator would just move to area two during the movement phase. It's to ensure you get two encounters. If drawn in during Arkham Encounters, you'll be getting three.

Good catch.

Brian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Smith
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
apatheticexecutioner wrote:
Right. I wasn't considering that the investigator would just move to area two during the movement phase. It's to ensure you get two encounters. If drawn in during Arkham Encounters, you'll be getting three.

Good catch.

Brian

Yes that's correct.

Being delayed just ensures you have the right amount of movement as being sucked in is a free movement which would be a benefit you shouldn't have. So by being delayed the next movement phase is skipped
(as all you can do is stand up the character) which counters/corrects the free move. This also corrects the number of encounters you have too although its possible to over correct sometimes if you get sucked in after the movement phase but before the OH phase which is the Arkham phase. So you get 3 OH encounters.

The game is full of clunky mechanics like that. This could be corrected by not having a delay when sucked in during the Arkham phase but that would give you a free move. So alternately it may be you would not get an OW encounter. All this would just make the game even more complicated. The game mechanics for AH are quite messy in places.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.