Popular Tags: [View All]
Christina Crouch
United Kingdom
Tadley
Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I spent the weekend with my regular playing partners (Mum and sister), and at the end of the weekend, my mother asked me where 'the game with the little trains' had got to (Ticket to Ride Europe). I'd played the game once with them before, but I traded TTR:E away afterwards as its a bit simplistic for my other main group - my games club friends.

I'd like to get another pick up and deliver game, but something with 'a little more to it' to play at home and at club. It would be played with about 3 players, so would need to work well with that number. In terms of difficulty, I like a game between about 2.5 and 3 weight, and my folks like something of about 2-2.5 weight, but should get better with time.

My sister is not the biggest fan of cube farming (why do I need more cubes?!). So I wondered if there was some middle ground between a train game for mum, but something fun that my sister would enjoy.

My short list was:
Airlines Europe
Merchant of Venus
Ticket to Ride Marklin
Railways of the World

I'd be interested to hear which you think might be best, and any other recommendations.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Kearns
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
Silence is golden.
badge
Your sea is so great and my boat is so small.
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmmm... how about...

Eurorails
Finca
Valdora
Hansa

kinda weird but might do the trick:

At the Gates of Loyang

Is really nice but I've never played with 3.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Hall
United Kingdom
Yate
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for Valdora
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Mercer Island
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Bombay is worth a look. The little plastic elephants are way cuter than trains or planes. It is best with 3-4 players, but works well with 5 and ok with 2. The primary activity is moving your elephant to the silk production locations, buying them (by physically placing a "silk" cube on your elephant's back), and then transporting to the cities to sell the silk. However, you can also build palaces, and you get points for collecting client tokens and city tokens.

It might be a bit light for you, but it's definitely deeper than TtR.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Neither Airlines Europe nor TtR are pick up and deliver.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Franz Kafka
United States
St. Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
malibu_babe_28 wrote:
My short list was:
Airlines Europe
Merchant of Venus
Ticket to Ride Marklin
Railways of the World

That's a very good list, though I think Airlines Europe is more of a stock game than pick up and deliver. Ticket to Ride Marklin is probably the only one of those I could see finishing in under two hours, if time is a concern. I think Merchants of Venus is a little lighter than Railways of the World, though both are solid "gamers' games", and my favorites out of those four.

Also, I heartily recommend Jet Set as a great "Ticket to Ride, with money."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sue Hemberger

Washington
Dist of Columbia
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like Finca and Auf Achse. Have also enjoyed Perry Rhodan: The Cosmic League but have only played with 2, though I think there's a 3p variant.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Nelson
United States
American Fork
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Days of Steam is just a tad more to do than TtR, and you do deliver goods from town to town. Barnes and Nobles even has it. Play with a variant on the curves or expect a lot of falling off the rails, losing your goods, as you push your luck. Can be funny a few times, but bad luck in dice can get old as you fall further behind the others. Use a variant/house rules and it is a smoother/nicer game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kathy Sheets
United States
Stuart
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As someone else has said, Airlines Europe is not pick up and deliver, but it is fun, plays 2-6 well, and is easy to learn.

Finca gets a +1 from me. Scales well 2-4, set collection/pick up and deliver/cool rondel mechanic for choosing beautiful fruit bits. I was afraid it might be too simple and while extremely easy to learn, it's still lots of fun. I know your family would love it and I'll bet the game group would like it, too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christina Crouch
United Kingdom
Tadley
Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for all the suggestions so far. I suppose that I should say 'route building / pick up and deliver as the category if that helps' - I see that TTR is not a pick up and deliver game per se.

Of the games suggested, I like the direction you are going in terms of re-theming of pick up and deliver into something more fun. Of Bombay, Valdora and Finca, all three seem possibly a little simplistic, but of the three I like the look of Finca the best.

I have watched Loyang being played (and I know where you're going with it), and I find the game appealing (I like the little veggies), its not quite what I'm looking for here.

A 2 hour game is probably preferable to three hours - if they get too long my sister can end up wandering off if her attention is not held (LOL, yes, even at 28...). 3 hours would probably be tops for the game.

Keep the suggestions coming though - and let me know which of the ones I've suggested you might recommend most.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johan Haglert
Sweden
Örebro
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Does Puerto Rico and Macao count?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Mercer Island
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
malibu_babe_28 wrote:
Of Bombay, Valdora and Finca, all three seem possibly a little simplistic, but of the three I like the look of Finca the best.

For what it's worth, I would give Bombay a weight of 2.3 or higher, rather than the BGG-voted value of 2.1. I think a lot of Ystari fans were expecting a heavier game, so voted it as being lighter than it really is. Similarly, Valdora looks somewhat complicated to me (based only on reviews), so I would think it would be even heavier than its 2.3 voted weight. I'm not as familiar with Finca, but it might be the lightest of the three, perhaps.

Now if you mean you like the look of fruit better than the look of elephants or miners, then that's a matter of taste, so I won't try to change your mind there.

How about Samarkand: Routes to Riches qualify? I haven't played it, but with routes and "stock", it sounds a bit like Airlines Europe.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Nelson
United States
American Fork
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Finca is not at all what I would call a pick up and deliver game. The game is a pick up a fruit your guy lands on going in a rondel, then "delivery" is abstract and you don't actually "go" anywhere.

Trollhalla fits the bill of pick up and deliver if you think Finca is pick up and deliver.

Bombay was rather tedius when played with 2, but definitely is a pick up and deliver.

Hansa would be my pick for the pick and deliver game from Schacht. Valdora would not be my first pick. His new African version might be nice though. But Hansa has standed the test of time.

And of course the best for "deliver" no pick up needed: Elfenland

Hermagor - pick up at same marketplace, but deliver is the main goal (besides buildings).

Niagara - very cool river mechanic for a pick up gems downstream, and hope to get them upstream before you over the falls. Tons of chrome in this one for the onlookers to stand a stare in awe.

Timbuktu - deliver only (if you have anything to deliver at the end of the trek) - deduction in the likes of CLUE, but much much better.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Mc Cabe
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
There are those who look at things the way they are and ask why . . . I dream of things that never were and ask why not
mbmbmbmbmb

Now called:

This is one of the best pick-up-and-delivery games there is. It plays up to six. If all you've got is three, it won't work out very well. It takes a minimum of four so that one player doesn't run away and hide.

It looks daunting at first, but it's not a very complicated game; but, much meatier than TtR.

I see it's on your short list. There's a bidding mechanic for start player each round, just to give you a head's up.

Brian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Straight

Covington
Louisiana
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
malibu_babe_28 wrote:
Thanks for all the suggestions so far. I suppose that I should say 'route building / pick up and deliver as the category if that helps' - I see that TTR is not a pick up and deliver game per se.

Of the games suggested, I like the direction you are going in terms of re-theming of pick up and deliver into something more fun. Of Bombay, Valdora and Finca, all three seem possibly a little simplistic, but of the three I like the look of Finca the best.

Finca is simple, but not simplistic. Same goes for these others; they're subtle.

Quote:
I have watched Loyang being played (and I know where you're going with it), and I find the game appealing (I like the little veggies), its not quite what I'm looking for here.

No, it definitely is not.

Quote:
A 2 hour game is probably preferable to three hours - if they get too long my sister can end up wandering off if her attention is not held (LOL, yes, even at 28...). 3 hours would probably be tops for the game.

Merchant of Venus and Eurorails / Empire Builder are probably right out.

They're also not really the TTR genre.

Quote:
Keep the suggestions coming though - and let me know which of the ones I've suggested you might recommend most.

Of the ones you suggested [and the criteria you gave], Airlines... easily.

Something like Thurn and Taxis or Hermagor or Hansa might be nice, but none are particularly intuitive [T&T is the most accessible, but it's not much heavier than TTR to be honest].

Depending on your persuasion / taste for abstracts, Through the Desert might do the trick.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Subhan Michael Tindall
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JosefK wrote:
malibu_babe_28 wrote:
My short list was:
Airlines Europe
Merchant of Venus
Ticket to Ride Marklin
Railways of the World

That's a very good list, though I think Airlines Europe is more of a stock game than pick up and deliver. Ticket to Ride Marklin is probably the only one of those I could see finishing in under two hours, if time is a concern. I think Merchants of Venus is a little lighter than Railways of the World, though both are solid "gamers' games", and my favorites out of those four.

Also, I heartily recommend Jet Set as a great "Ticket to Ride, with money."

Jet Set is by no means 'Ticket to Ride, with Money'. Other than being set on a graph and having routes on paper, there is virtually no resemblance. TTR is a simple rummy type game (set building), with trains. Jet Set is a tight economic game, with some route building elements. Game play is radically different between the two.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sea
Malaysia
Kuala Lumpur
Wilayah Persekutuan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll be the odd 1 out in suggesting Cadwallon: City of Thieves, if you're into the fantasy theme.
The theme of being thieves sneaking into houses to loot for items that your guild demands, or fight others to rid them of theirs is just awesome IMO. Also there are 6 official scenarios to choose from,and alot of mini-expansions available (and free) on the FFG site. Do check it out

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Bolland
United States
Apple Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
PLAY
badge
Loooooooooooooooon!
mbmbmbmbmb
dkearns wrote:
kinda weird but might do the trick:

At the Gates of Loyang

Is really nice but I've never played with 3.

At the Gates of Loyang may be best with 3. I too think it might work. And it doesn't have CUBES! It has colorful wood pieces actually in the shape of things like pumpkins and beets.

I have to +1 Finca too. And I have to mention the game that always comes to mind when Finca comes up: Vikings. It's not really pick-up and deliver, but it feels similar to Finca to me somehow.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R S
United States
Salem
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
NateStraight wrote:

Quote:

Merchant of Venus and Eurorails / Empire Builder are probably right out.

Eurorails and Empire Builder include variants for faster trains/less total money that make the game playable in under three hours. My group can knock out a game without the variant in about 3 and 1/2 hours.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sky Zero
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 FINCA!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Nelson
United States
American Fork
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ninja
skyzero wrote:
+1 FINCA!!!

For a thread on pick up and deliver, let me put the Finca thread to rest. Look at the picture above. The rondel (flag-round-thing) is where the meeples are located. Those meeples do not move anywhere but around it and around it and around it. Each time they stop, they pick up something - so you have pick-up. There is a "wagon" you have to pick up as you go aroud the wheel, but it stays in front of you. When you "deliver", you choose one of the places on the map that you have the right goods for, and take the tile, using the wagon to "carry it there". It doesn't matter where you take the tile from, so you are not really moving to the destination other than in your mind.

See: not pick-up-and-deliver; just pick-up, set collect, take tile.

Though FINCA is a good game, it doesn't fit in the pick up and deliver category.

Now look below at days of Steam. See those cubes? Those are picked up from one town and delivered down the rail-line to another city who wants that color of cube via the locomotive/train movement. That is pick-up-and-deliver.

This is a very simplified Railroad game of building track and delivering goods. Age of steam/Steam is a much deeper version of a similar game. Railways of the World is a very similar game to Age of Steam/Steam.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Kearns
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
Silence is golden.
badge
Your sea is so great and my boat is so small.
mbmbmbmbmb
In Finca, which tiles you deliver to is the whole strategy of the game.

Where you want to deliver dictates which fruit you pick up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Mercer Island
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
ropearoni4 wrote:
Though FINCA is a good game, it doesn't fit in the pick up and deliver category.

But to be fair, the OP in this particular thread wanted a pickup-and-deliver-ish or route-building-ish game. And implied that TtR fell into that same squishy category. By that criteria, it's not a bad suggestion, whether or not it ends up as a finalist on the OP's shopping list.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom P
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Do not shed tears over throws of the past, roll again!
badge
Click here for free games.
mbmbmbmbmb
I really like Mali Powstańcy: Warszawa 1944 in this category.

You can get it online, there's a good thread about it in the game forums.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Nelson
United States
American Fork
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
peakhope wrote:
ropearoni4 wrote:

But to be fair, the OP in this particular thread wanted a pickup-and-deliver-ish or route-building-ish game. And implied that TtR fell into that same squishy category. By that criteria, it's not a bad suggestion, whether or not it ends up as a finalist on the OP's shopping list.

Route Building? FINCa has even less than that, than pick-up-delivery.

BGG states:
Subdomain Family Games
(58 voters) [vote]
Category Economic
Farming
Mechanic Area Control / Area Influence
Set Collection

I didn't find a lot of replayability in Finca. Sure the tiles can be different, but it just feels like the same game each play.

If you are looking for a route building ala TtR, I would stick with Steam or Railways of the World for more chrome in your game; it is very visually appealing; one of its strong suits, besides an easier money management than Steam.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.