Hide
11 Posts

Ticket to Ride» Forums » General

Subject: Longest continuous path rules rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brandon B
msg tools
My brothers and I have played about five games together and we are at an impass. The problem we have is that the rules are a bit ambiguous about how to calculate the longest continuous route.

Here's what we found in the manual about calculating the longest continous route
Quote:
The player who has the Longest Continuous Path of routes receives this special bonus card and adds 10 points to his score. In the case of a tie for
the longest path, all tied players score the 10 points bonus.

On one side, a brother thinks the longest route is counted in routes (i.e. LA-El Paso is one route and so is ATL-NASH). So if one has a continuous route that goes from LA-El Paso-HOU-New Orleans-MIA by my brothers measurement that is 4 routes.

On the other side, another brother has this idea that the longest continuous route is counted by the number of trains placed on that continuous route. (i.e. LA-El Paso is worth 6 because you need 6 trains). Using this method on the same route from above (LA-El Paso-HOU-New Orleans-MIA) the count is 20.

Which is the correct way to figure out the longest route? Maybe we are all wrong -_-;

TL;DR: Trying to find a way to determine who has the longest route at the end of the game for the longest route bonus. How is this determined?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ɹǝsɐɹɟ
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Back in the days when there were less maps we played every map back to back
badge
Ooh a little higher, now a bit to the left, a little more, a little more, just a bit more. Oooh yes, that's the spot!
mbmbmbmbmb
It is the number of trains, not connections or routes. So in your example 20 not 4.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon B
msg tools
Karlsen wrote:
It is the number of trains, not connections or routes. So in your example 20 not 4.

Well, I already hear some cheering coming from the other room I've looked all over the manual, but I can't find anything that says to count explicitly. Not tryin to be a stickler, however if anyone can furnish those rules I'd be much obliged.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Martin
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not sure where it's explicit in the rules. But it's definitely longest path by number of trains (think longest road in Settlers - no branches). Play any of the online inplementations or IPad or IPhone. They all count by number of trains...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Smith
United States
Jackson
MS
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In my copy, the example on the longest route card makes it pretty clear that you are counting train cars and not connections between cities.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly Bass
United States
Venice
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm positive it's number of trains, not number of routes, from online & tournaments.
But I have to admit it's not entirely clear from the rules. Perhaps a convincing argument would be that the Route Scoring Table on page 4 of the rules labels Route Lengths 1 - 6, so which path is longer, a route 1 train long, or a route 6 trains long?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As Stephen said, it's right on the card.

Black has 11 trains, blue has 8, Black gets the 10 points.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Riddle

Oklahoma
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
and it's Duff FTW!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Duclos
United States
Orem
Utah
flag msg tools
Who ya gonna call?
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It seems as if you and your opponent go for different strategies, long segments vs shorter segments. In my experience the longer routes seem to be the strategy of victory, but I have found the mountain route rules in TTR: Legendary Asia equalizes the two strategies, as many shorter routes offer bonus points, and discard more train pieces (ending the game before the long-route strategist has gathered enough cards to play his big point segments)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ghostbusterbob wrote:
It seems as if you and your opponent go for different strategies, long segments vs shorter segments. In my experience the longer routes seem to be the strategy of victory, but I have found the mountain route rules in TTR: Legendary Asia equalizes the two strategies, as many shorter routes offer bonus points, and discard more train pieces (ending the game before the long-route strategist has gathered enough cards to play his big point segments)
IIRC, "Legendary Asia" was the 2-5p map. If so note that that one has something that counts the # of cities in a "largest network" mechanic (and if not, my bad, nothing to read here), many shorter routes adds more to it than fewer longer routes. It's quite a diversion from how the "longest road" mechanic works in the previous TtR games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Duclos
United States
Orem
Utah
flag msg tools
Who ya gonna call?
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You made the point that I failed to. I completely forgot to mention that though it addresses the OP's original question directly. Duh, Bob.

All in all, I recommend TTR: Asia completely.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.