Merchants & Marauders» Forums » Rules

Subject: Npc hunting rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Drunsul ~
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
Hey all, I've been reading and finding a lot of good info but I am confused about something. How exactly do NPC's move around? I know that the event cards show directions of movement, but when do they begin hunting players? Do I have to be near an NPC for it to hunt me? Or if there are 4 navy ships on the board and 1 pirate they just all move toward the pirate every turn regardless of what else is going on? It seems like they would end up in a 4 stack of unsurvivable justice. Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
The Freedom Rider - Art Blakey and the Jazz Messengers
badge
The Brief and Frightening Reign of Phil - George Saunders
mbmbmbmbmb
The NPCs don't hunt during their own movement, but they do set themselves up for hunting during the player's turns. NPC hunts occur at two specific times:

1) At the start of a player's turn, if his ship is in the same area as the NPC.

2) During the player's turn, if his ship enters the area where the NPC ship is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harald Torvatn
Norway
Trondheim
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Drunsul wrote:
Hey all, I've been reading and finding a lot of good info but I am confused about something. How exactly do NPC's move around? I know that the event cards show directions of movement, but when do they begin hunting players? Do I have to be near an NPC for it to hunt me? Or if there are 4 navy ships on the board and 1 pirate they just all move toward the pirate every turn regardless of what else is going on? It seems like they would end up in a 4 stack of unsurvivable justice. Thanks!

Each of them move only when a event card with their symbol drawn.

When they move, if someone on their hunt priority list is adjacent or in same area, they move to there. Otherwise they move in the direction shown on the event card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello,

NPC ships are activated when an event card has their nation's or pirate flag icon on the top.

If an NPC's ship icon is at the top of an event card, they are activated in which case you either move them in the direction listed or they follow the hunt rules if they apply.

For example, if a French flag icon is shown with an E, and a French Naval ship is on the board, then you'd check if it matches one of the hunt trigger variables: is it adjacent to or in the same zone as a player with a French bounty or another nation? If so, it hunts. Otherwise, it moves East or the next clock-wise direction available.

EDIT: Reading Sphere's response, I see we're using "hunt" to mean different steps. In my response above I mean the "hunting movement" (i.e., following a player instead of the printed direction); Sphere is referring to the "scout + attack" check. He's probably using the term more correctly than I am
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drunsul ~
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
Thanks for the quick replies. My girlfriend and I were playing that they just followed you around if you fit in their hunting rules. Didn't realize that there was range involved. Made for a rough game for the pirate! I understand now though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
The Freedom Rider - Art Blakey and the Jazz Messengers
badge
The Brief and Frightening Reign of Phil - George Saunders
mbmbmbmbmb
Coren wrote:
EDIT: Reading Sphere's response, I see we're using "hunt" to mean different steps. In my response above I mean the "hunting movement" (i.e., following a player instead of the printed direction); Sphere is referring to the "scout + attack" check. He's probably using the term more correctly than I am

You're right; I read 'hunt' and thought you were asking about when they actually scout. Sorry for not reading your question more carefully and responding with more clarity.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.