Subject: Ill-Gotten Gains and Trader rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kirk Bauer
United States
Smyrna
Georgia
flag msg tools
Colored baggies for your games, www.boardgamestorage.com.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
First time I've been surprised by a possible rule combination in a while.

On Isotropic, I played IGG and had a Trader in my hand. I chose to gain a copper, then I chose to gain a silver instead, but it no longer went into my hand. I don't see anything that would indicate that Trader would affect where the card you gain should actually go: is this correct or a bug?

Quote:

When you play this, you may gain a Copper, putting it into your hand.

Quote:

When you would gain a card, you may reveal this from your hand. If you do, instead, gain a Silver.

My interpretation is that Trader causes you to gain a silver instead of a copper, but I don't see how that changes IGG's indication to put the card into your hand.

If this is correct behavior, then the explanation must be that Trader changes the entire gain activity, including the ultimate destination?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
matt feldman
United States
Maple Valley
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kirkbauer wrote:
First time I've been surprised by a possible rule combination in a while.

On Isotropic, I played IGG and had a Trader in my hand. I chose to gain a copper, then I chose to gain a silver instead, but it no longer went into my hand. I don't see anything that would indicate that Trader would affect where the card you gain should actually go: is this correct or a bug?

Quote:

When you play this, you may gain a Copper, putting it into your hand.

Quote:

When you would gain a card, you may reveal this from your hand. If you do, instead, gain a Silver.

My interpretation is that Trader causes you to gain a silver instead of a copper, but I don't see how that changes IGG's indication to put the card into your hand.

If this is correct behavior, then the explanation must be that Trader changes the entire gain activity, including the ultimate destination?

any time a card says gain and doesn't specify "into your hand" it goes into discards. the trader overrides IGG, and trader is a straight gain.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald X.
United States
flag msg tools
designer
kirkbauer wrote:

It is correct, and covered in the Hinterlands rulebook. Trader replaces the previous card-gaining event with a normal complete "gain a Silver" event, which by default means the Silver comes from the Supply (even if you were using Thief) and goes to the discard pile (even if you were gaining a card to your hand or elsewhere).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Costello
msg tools
Yeah, its just a matter of how you parse it. You're reading it as:

Any time you would gain [a card], replace [a card] with [Silver]. If you think about it like this, you could easily think that you would gain the silver into your hand.

But the correct interpretation is:

Any time you would [Gain a card], [Gain a Silver] instead. So whatever that gain was, whether it was top of your deck, in your hand, whatever, gets replaced by a simple Gain a Silver, which follows all the normal rules that would apply if a card simply said "Gain a Silver."

Another angle to look at it from is that the Trader trigger didn't need to be on gaining a card. It could have said "Any time you [do something that has nothing to do with card gaining], gain a silver instead. Why should it matter if that arbitrary "something" involved putting a card in your hand.

That probably isn't as clear as I meant it to be, but hopefully it helps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Bauer
United States
Smyrna
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks everybody, including Donald. I'm embarrassed to admit that even though I own this and every other thing ever printed for Dominion, I am so used to not needing the rules that I have not read the new rules yet. I should have read that section in the rulebook before posting, but nonetheless thanks for the clarification!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.