Popular Tags: [View All]
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
I am a disappointed that the game did not come with what I would have assumed to be Power Grid/Settler of Catan Houses to mark buildings in regions. I am even more disappointed they choose to go with what has to be the tiniest piece of wood available in any of my games.

The resource cubes are a good size and what I would consider to the be the absolute smallest practical piece in a board game. But the building markers are at least a third smaller - at first I thought I had gimpy resource markers...but I digress.

I am also not thrilled withe the small score and turn order markers. Obviously things were downsized as the graphics on the board don't match up. I doubt Minion is going to do anything about this so I was thinking about getting my own pieces.

Problem is, only source for these type of pieces is a German company. Most of the cost is in shipping to the US. So I was wondering if anyone would be interested in combining orders to reduce costs. Not sure if we could get high enough to bring down the cost any on the per piece price but the pieces themselves are relatively cheap.

Any interest?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Flaherty
United States
Loves Park
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree as well and would be interested if the price is right.

The Game Crafter has bits, I wonder if any of those would work?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Interested
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
YellowLab wrote:

I can run a check across both. I actually have some discs in Red Green and Blue and they match the colors in the game almost perfectly (sometimes colors can be off from company to company).

I was going to pull prices for the houses, the discs, and possibly additional pricing for larger yellow discs to make more temple tokens and large squares to cover the 3- and 4-player spaces.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Dave
United States
Ogden
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Interested as well. Not particularly happy about being interested as I'd rather not lay out the cash, but whatever...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Dave
United States
Ogden
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ColtsFan76 wrote:
YellowLab wrote:

I can run a check across both. I actually have some discs in Red Green and Blue and they match the colors in the game almost perfectly (sometimes colors can be off from company to company).

I was going to pull prices for the houses, the discs, and possibly additional pricing for larger yellow discs to make more temple tokens and large squares to cover the 3- and 4-player spaces.

Are the temple tokens you speak of the same ones where there should be 14 but there are only 10?

I'd be interested in over-hauling those as well for a complete set.

ARgh...the more I think about all the ways this game got the shaft component wise, the angrier I get...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Flaherty
United States
Loves Park
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The GameCrafter "Churches" are 20mm by 10mm (the building space on the board is 15mm by 10mm) and the discs are 15mm in diameter. Five new "churches" and two new discs for each color are $3.76 before shipping.

Add 14 yellow discs and the price is $5.30 before shipping.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
whattheproblemis wrote:
ColtsFan76 wrote:
YellowLab wrote:

Are the temple tokens you speak of the same ones where there should be 14 but there are only 10?

I'd be interested in over-hauling those as well for a complete set.

ARgh...the more I think about all the ways this game got the shaft component wise, the angrier I get...

The tokens are cardboard right now. I was thinking about getting large wooden discs, printing off the file they uploaded and printing off stickers.

And yes, overall I am disappointed in the production here. The stuff is quality but just so sloppily put together. Come on, make the board as big as the box (or the box as small as the board). Or set up the insert in such as way that it holds it flat. My board had a slight tear because it was cocked in the box since it was half on the ledge and half in the void.

I am also sure the lack of temple tokens was the last minute decision to add more spaces without considering there was a specific # of tokens already set up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Crispin
United States
Wilmington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Also interested. I have been poking around some other games to see if there was one I could scavenge the parts from.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
YellowLab wrote:
The GameCrafter "Churches" are 20mm by 10mm (the building space on the board is 15mm by 10mm) and the discs are 15mm in diameter. Five new "churches" and two new discs for each color are $3.76 before shipping.

Add 14 yellow discs and the price is $5.30 before shipping.

This is what I came up with on the other site 5 houses each (15x10mm - what they SHOULD have been) and 2 discs each (15x4mm) is 2.80 euros which is $3.62 using today's conversion rate.

Adding in 16 yellow discs (19x4mm - going larger to accommodate potential stickers) brings it to 4.40 euro or $5.69.

The price is slightly better for the exact stuff we need. Of course shipping would be the killer since we get double-dinged (Germany to Indiana, and then Indiana to you). But the previous couple times I ordered from them, shipping wasn't too great. Small padded envelopes (non-priority) should keep the domestic shipping down. There is also a price break if we get to 50 of each piece type - I think that is by piece shape, not necessarily color.

I don't think I like the Game Crafter options as well - plus there is a greater risk on color not being as close. But it would probably make sense for those wanting that to buy direct from them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
The two spaces are 37x37mm. The largest wood block they have is 21x21x5mm. But they do have white cardboard counters in either 30x30mm or 40x40mm, both 1.2 mm thick.

Two smaller ones are 0.18 euro and the larger ones are 0.20 euro.

It should also be pointed out you could pick the color of your choice if anyone wanted to play with, say orange or white pieces. New pawns are 0.11 euro each and come in a variety of colors. I ordered sets of these for The Great fire of London 1666 and they should be a perfect match once again (I'll confirm in a bit).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Mathe
United States
Greenfield
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
http://www.Game-Universe.com
badge
http://www.MinionGames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I am really sorry about all this guys... do accept our apologies. That said the game cost us $10 per unit to do through LUDO and that's the max cost we can have to make the game $50. I think we kind of got the shaft for this one at LUDO but that's another store. Here are the facts:

1) Ludo screwed up and even though the houses were quoted as houses - they state that without supplying a drawing they couldn't have been houses. So I state the size we supplied them has a 3rd diamention that doesn't match the chips they put in the box and they have no answer for this. So this one I fully put on LUDO. But they won't fix it.

2) The board size in the specs for the price was slightly bigger so the white-box test image they sent us showed the game board fitting fine on the insert. But somewhere the board size shrank and no one adjusted the inside "flute" (which we never design and leave up to the printer). They also never credited us any $ for this change. This one again is mostly LUDO's fault but I should have thought of it when a board size mismatch was found.

3) The small circle disks for counters was my fault. Thought they'd be fine. I think they work fine but are small and I won't do that size again.

4) The Temple was increased the last minute from 10 spaces to 16 spaces. As such we remembered to make more white cubes - but we all failed to remember to make more cardboard disks. This one again was Minion Game's fault. Sorry. But normally it's not much of an issue and you can use any marker - I know not a good answer.

5) the 8mm cubes are fine I think. Yeah 10mm would have been better, but would have added costs to a game already at the limit.

That all said, I also own RPGShop.com and we do sell board game bits. I will attempt to put together a package to upgrade the game for my cost. I thought of this before but though it was kind of un-cool to offer an upgrade on something we were ultimately responsible for. But since you guys seem to want to do it yourself, I'll see what I can do to help you out. I have plenty of disks and such, but the houses are going to be hard to find in any quantity.

Again, sorry for the hassles. If we go to reprint I'll see about getting all these items fixed and offering a cheap upgrade kit.

James
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Dave
United States
Ogden
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
James -

Thanks for the honest comments! It's refreshing to see a publisher take a "yup - things got screwed up, and we're actually partly to blame" approach. Thank you.

I would be interested in a low-hassle upgrade pack, especially if it was at cost.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
RPGShop wrote:
5) the 8mm cubes are fine I think. Yeah 10mm would have been better, but would have added costs to a game already at the limit.

As I stated in the OP, I think these are fine. I don't know that 10mm cubes would have been an improvement. This is the typical size of most resources so zero complaints on this one.

If you do put a package like this together, what would be the chances of getting actual cardboard chits for the Temple markers?

Finally, how quickly could you pull something like this together? I could get this relatively quickly from Germany and have it on the table probably the weekend after next.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Mathe
United States
Greenfield
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll look into this Monday or Tuesday and we can ship as early as Wed to get most of you something by this next weekend. Again, it's a matter of what bits I have current stock on.

As for the cardboard tokens, no I can't do those. But I do have some other bits I might be able to throw in that you could use and/or sticker if you desire. But getting exact replacements would require my robbing other copies of the game or hand punching them myself.

Again, let me look around Monday or Tuesday at the latest and see what I have.

James
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
RPGShop wrote:
Again, let me look around Monday or Tuesday at the latest and see what I have.

Well the good news is it looks like you get the pieces from the same place I would. Some of the graphics are the exact same, so I at least hope that assumption is correct!

http://www.spielmaterial.de/english5/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Mathe
United States
Greenfield
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep I order my stuff from them in bulk. If you do end up ordering some mix there, by all means let me add to it so you can get quantity discount. Plus I think I get 15% on top of that from them.

Shipping however has never been less then 3 weeks and sometimes more.

James
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
RPGShop wrote:
Yep I order my stuff from them in bulk. If you do end up ordering some mix there, by all means let me add to it so you can get quantity discount. Plus I think I get 15% on top of that from them.

James

I'd just as soon let you do the bulk ordering and add my small mix

I was just offering the service to split the shipping. But I don't get any discount besides the bulk that everyone else would get. So I am more than glad to step away from organizing it and let you do it "officially."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Lock
Canada
Halifax
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am interested in an official upgrade kit!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ColtsFan76 wrote:
RPGShop wrote:

James

I'd just as soon let you do the bulk ordering and add my small mix

I was just offering the service to split the shipping. But I don't get any discount besides the bulk that everyone else would get. So I am more than glad to step away from organizing it and let you do it "officially."

Interested in this also.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy Smith
United States
Tavares
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Still waiting for my copy to arrive, but I'm thinking I would also most likely be interested in an upgrade kit based on everyone else's commments so far. I'll have to see how everything looks when it gets here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Mathe
United States
Greenfield
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As I thought I don't have enough houses or disks so I'll have to make an order from Germany myself. Probably take 2-3 weeks

I'll post then

James
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim williamson
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Although I've been thinking about sculpting some custom pieces to replace the bits in this game, I would still be interested in the upgrade kit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
F P
United States
Fayetteville
Arkansas
flag msg tools
badge
Hello, friend!
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds great! If there is an upgrade kit, either an official one, or a fan based one, please mark me down as interested!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Mathe
United States
Greenfield
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Good news... I'm making some progress in guilting LUDO into helping out on a small scale. Once I said I'd take 100 upgrade kits and not force them to repair all 2000 copies, they got more then generous in helping out.

As such, I expect the upgrade kits to include even another 10 count High Priest punch board (which you only need 6 of them).

One twist is that they don't have any Black houses laying around - so we'd probably change the black color to be Orange and supply new pawns for that color.

I'll let you know when I get the details but the cost will be low and the bits will be large.

Only problem is I'll only have about 100 upgrade kits so only you people in the "know" will get access to them probably.

James
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.