john m
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You do have to talk to each other in this game don't you? I'm looking for a well themed co-op, which I hope means you must communicate and are not off doing your own thing. I've never owned a co-op game so please forgive my ignorance. It's obvious, but I just want to make sure. Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
LSU LSU
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Only if you want to do well.

In general, for most coops, you have to communicate. The problem, for some game groups, is that one person can sometimes dominate strategy and planning. That seems less of an issue for LOTR.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Morris
Scotland
Harrogate
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
designer
Join the BGG Folding @Home Team !!
badge
This user had more :gg: than sense
mbmbmbmbmb
johnnyLikesGames wrote:
You do have to talk to each other in this game don't you? I'm looking for a well themed co-op, which I hope means you must communicate and are not off doing your own thing. I've never owned a co-op game so please forgive my ignorance. It's obvious, but I just want to make sure. Thanks.

It is hard to cooperate without talking.

I think I read that you are not supposed to talk about specific cards, but it is OK to talk generalities.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Saloff
United States
Edinboro
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
This is a rebellion, isn't it? I rebel.
badge
He's a card player, gambler, scoundrel. You'd like him.
mbmbmbmbmb
You definitely have to work together as a team to play this and do good. You work together sending a team of characters to quest each turn, share attachments/equipment with each other, help each other out with event cards, help each other by engaging bad guys the others can't handle, and even helping defend and shoot at bad guys that are attacking your teammates sometimes.

So yes, lots of talking and working with each other in this game. ^_^
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Smith
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
johnnyLikesGames wrote:

Player interaction is essential.

You need to discuss (each round) who will quest, fight, heal etc...The cards make this quite dynamic so you can't play this game (other than solo) on auto-pilot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michail Giannis
Greece
Athens
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
First of all "You can do whatever you like"...

But if you want the official answer here it is.

From the rulebook wrote:

Players are permitted and encouraged to talk to one
another during play, and to work as a team to plan and
execute the best course of action. Players can discuss
anything they would like, but they cannot name or read
out loud directly from cards in their hand, or from cards
that they have seen but the rest of the players have not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil L

Winston-Salem
North Carolina
msg tools
mbmbmb
I mostly play solo, but when I play 2-player, it is with my 12-yr old daughter. So we bend the rule about discussing specific cards quite a bit, as I help her understand the nuances of "how to play this, and why, and when" for certain cards.

The co-operative aspect can start before the game as well, during deck construction. If you create roles for each player, and build decks accordingly, then you must cooperate in order to succeed. My daughter plays a tactics/lore deck, and her primary job is attacking/defending, and her secondary job is healing. I play a spirit/leadership deck, and my primary role is questing, with secondary jobs of threat reduction and resource generation.

The Planning Phase of each turn literally is a planning phase-- we discuss our current situation, try to determine what the encounter deck might throw at us, and then discuss how we'll deal with it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Irwin
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Yes you do! In fact I think this one of the most Lord-of-the-Ringsy features of this game and one of the (few) counts on which it beats the other two LotR card games I own - you and the other player/s at the table are your own "fellowship": having to trust each other, depend on each other, and discuss what to do next at nearly every step. When we discuss which location to travel to next it really does feel like the same conversations they had in Fellowship of the Ring.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.