Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Igor Kwiatkowski
Poland
Warszawa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's 3 AM here and I can't sleep so let this shy lurker rant a little. My longish post just got erased by the effing iPad (don't change tabs while typing, kids!) so I'll try to keep it short this time.

Tomorrow, or today considering it's technically Monday, hopefully I'm going to sell my copy of Twilight Imperium, one of my favourite ameritrash games of all time. The other ameritrash games are sure to follow. I've sold most of my euros some time ago. This means that by the end of the year my collection will be about 80% wargames. Time to drop my Casual Wargamer microbadge and go for the full blown Wargamer perhaps? I'm 26 years years old so not nearly a Grognard yet. I practice my grumbling though so that I'm ready when the time comes.

Seriously though, all this feels really good. I started with euros, then I switched to ameritrash, now I play almost exclusively wargames. They are rewarding and educational at the same time. I hated history in school but now a good wargame makes me buy a book on the topic. I enjoy games about conflicts I know nothing about, and then I try to learn more. What else can you want from a hobby?

My only problem with some of the wargames is the place and time required. I own the two OCS games that are currently in print and I love the premise, the ruleset etc. but I don't expect to play anything but the shortest scenarios in the foreseeable future (I don't enjoy Vassal too much unfortunately). I keep my hopes up though, that one day I will own a man-cave to house all the monster games out there.

So, see you around now that I stopped lurking. Hopefully I can get some sleep now.
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
While I won't be selling off my copies of Twilight Imperium (Third Edition) or Fortress America any time soon, I can identify with your gradual slipping into the abyss of true wargaming. I was a hardcore wargamer years ago, and fell away. I was reintroduced to gaming in general via some of these Ameritrash classics. Over the past few years, though, I've been gradually playing less and less AT, and more straight-up wargames. Of course, I also play a lot of the various incarnations of Axis & Allies (the 1940 Europe and Pacific versions being the latest), which are kind of in between AT and hardcore wargames. They're kind of a guilty pleasure, I suppose. But yeah, I played a full campaign of Drive on Stalingrad (first edition) not so long ago, and started playing PanzerBlitz again.

The "Call of the Wargame" is strong!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enrico Viglino
United States
Eugene
OR
flag msg tools
Slowed - BGG's moderation policies have driven me partially from here
badge
http://thegamebox.byethost15.com/smf/
mb
I can't really agree with getting rid of games that
you've enjoyed in the past. I didn't start out a
wargamer (my first love in gaming was in the family
titles) but knew it was what I was missing back when
I first experienced them. My gaming tastes have broadened
over that time (mainly as new things became available), but
things I liked at one time (at least as an adult) I've
not stopped liking.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob
United States
flag msg tools
Be sure to taste your words, before you spit them out.
badge
If you climb in the saddle, be ready for the ride.
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome to the dark side! thumbsup

At the moment I'm not in to Vassal, though several of my geek buddies have asked. I prefer F2F games and thankfully the Ms. enjoys gaming including wargames. So for now, I can avoid the Vassal temptation. My collection of games is getting smaller as well. I'm in the process of trading most (not all) of them off in search of other games that are more of an interest right now. We'd prefer to have 100 games that get played as opposed to 500 sitting on the shelf collecting dust... gulp
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
While, sure you state this NOW, yet, with a NAME "name" "Like" 'waffel', then just "B" 'glad' it isn't 'Smucker's'! whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Genghis Ahn
United States
San Clemente
California
flag msg tools
Sometimes You Are Wrong !
badge
Coolest Promo Ever ! Stonewall Lives
mbmbmbmbmb
Definitely a Grognard now as you have passed this VERY significant milestone: "If you ain't bitchin, you ain't trying" !!! devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Igor Kwiatkowski
Poland
Warszawa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It feels awkward being encouraged to embrace grognardness... but then again they say complaining is the Polish national pastime.

kiraly wrote:
waffel wrote:
(I don't enjoy Vassal too much unfortunately).

I used to avoid VASSAL as much as I could until a few years ago. While it'll never be comparable to actual face to face play, it beats the hell out of not playing at all. I've gotten to play a lot of games I wouldn't have otherwise because of it and am now a big fan.

True, but I gave Vassal an honest shot while playtesting Red Winter: The Soviet Attack at Tolvajärvi, Finland – 8-12 December 1939 (go preorder it!) and decided I'd rather play regular video games on my PS3 rather than board-video-games. Perhaps I will try again sometime this year, but I have probably 3 unwrapped PS3 games on the shelf, not to mention the ones I'm currently playing.

kiraly wrote:
Which two OCS games do you own? (There are actually three in print, if I'm not mistaken). Both Burma and Baltic Gap have some fine one map scenarios that will leave you wanting to play something bigger!

I meant BG and Burma. I forgot GBII (3 am, sleepless you know), but that's a bit more expensive that I'm willing to spend for a game that won't see much play. I will try to buy it before it goes OOP again so that I don't regret not getting it, but right now I'd rather save up for a new tattoo.

usrlocal wrote:
Hail fellow grog! (you're never too young) Lots of good, meaty one-mappers out there. I just got Barbarossa: Crimea, a one-map EFS game. If you like OCS you might want to check that out.

I have tried Barbarossa Crimea I think, or some other EFS game with my buddy
Rafaell Cobra
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
who has probably all the in print games and some OOPs, but for some reason we stopped playing it. We need to get back to it.

calandale wrote:
I can't really agree with getting rid of games that
you've enjoyed in the past

Wise words, but still I try to trim the fat from my collection, and a "fat" game has to meet some criteria: I haven't played my copy for a while; there are plenty other copies available in town; it will fetch a reasonable price (I don't even bother putting up small card games for sale); preferably it should be easy to buy it back. TI fits the bill perfectly. I have sold plenty euros that I enjoyed and never regretted any of the sales. On the other hand I keep many unplayed wargames because they will not fetch a good price (wargame market in Poland is way smaller than euros) or will be difficult to replace if I change my mind.

usrlocal wrote:
Igor - I just checked out your collection and preferences. Whatever you do, don't get rid of Cosmic Encounter -- you'll regret it!!

This one stays for sure. My copy is worn enough so that it would sell low. Actually it would be hard to sell at all as it's not a very popular game in Poland (lots of complex English on the cards), it's only 1 hour long so it still sees some play, and none of my friends have a copy so it doesn't meet the "fat" criteria.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
武士に二言無し
Italy
Caravaggio near Bergamo near Milano
Europe + Earth + Via Lactea
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Igor,

Quote:
My only problem with some of the wargames is the place and time required. I own the two OCS games that are currently in print and I love the premise, the ruleset etc. but I don't expect to play anything but the shortest scenarios in the foreseeable future (I don't enjoy Vassal too much unfortunately). I keep my hopes up though, that one day I will own a man-cave to house all the monster games out there.

If you will take a trip to Italy, we can meet and play some OCS together by my home or my newly organized mini-cons ...
I've three OCS dedicated conventions in program: one in February, one in May and one in September (for now ... and we're only in January!)

Bye

F.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Igor Kwiatkowski
Poland
Warszawa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Filippo Chiari wrote:
Hi Igor,

Quote:

If you will take a trip to Italy, we can meet and play some OCS together by my home or my newly organized mini-cons ...
I've three OCS dedicated conventions in program: one in February, one in May and one in September (for now ... and we're only in January!)

Bye

F.

Filippo, that is very generous and thank you for the invitation. I imagine the cost of the trip would be prohibitive though, especially since Polish zloty is even weaker than the euro right now! I could probably buy multiple copies of GBII for the price of the ticket Also my fiancee might break the engagement if she finds out I travel to fancy tourist destinations to play games.

But just in case have you got a guild, a Facebook group or some other website for those? It wouldn't hurt to check the dates...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
武士に二言無し
Italy
Caravaggio near Bergamo near Milano
Europe + Earth + Via Lactea
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
waffel wrote:
But just in case have you got a guild ...

Here we are!

Ciao,

F.

P.s.:Thank you for the tip!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Warren Bruhn
United States
Roseburg
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Igor, I get the impression that Warszawa is full of wargamers. I notice photos of guys playing in Poland here on BGG from time to time. Aren't the guys who are designing Teutons and Carolus living there? Here's one of them:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgamedesigner/40429/jaro-an...

I met Jaroslaw over the internet about a decade and a half ago when we tried to start a pbem game of Empires in Arms that crashed before it really started. You could challenge him to a game of Paths of Glory, or join the playtests for Teutons and Carolus.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Igor Kwiatkowski
Poland
Warszawa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Warren Bruhn wrote:
Igor, I get the impression that Warszawa is full of wargamers. I notice photos of guys playing in Poland here on BGG from time to time. Aren't the guys who are designing Teutons and Carolus living there? Here's one of them:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgamedesigner/40429/jaro-an...

I met Jaroslaw over the internet about a decade and a half ago when we tried to start a pbem game of Empires in Arms that crashed before it really started. You could challenge him to a game of Paths of Glory, or join the playtests for Teutons and Carolus.

This is all true. I have plenty of wargaming buddies and I never said otherwise. But OCS isn't very popular and none of the few people interested in it can devote the space required over the time required. Note that in Warsaw, and Poland generally, most people live in flats rather than houses especially in urban and suburban areas. I have little to no problem playing games that take up to two consecutive days, but longer than that gets hard. I do consider myself lucky, but remember I need to practice my complaining.

In related news the deed is done, Twilight Imperium is gone. I promptly proceeded to buy unpunched Downtown: Air War Over Hanoi, 1965-1972 and I expect to receive it early next week. Probably I'm biting more than I can chew having never played an air wargame before, but I try to diversify my collection of almost exclusively land-based WW2 games. If all else fails I may even turn a small profit on reselling it as I'm only going to pay about $30 shipping included.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Willows
United States
Woburn
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome to the forums, Igor!

Ok, let's get you situated. Uh... here we argue what a wargame even is.

We also observe several traditions. Like displaying wargaming microbadges! Please note your GG total has been modified.

Again along the lines of tradition, Case Blue MUST... I repeat MUST be mentioned in each and every topic.

Er... no one is quite sure *why* it's just something we do.

Yeah. We're like that. cool

A fellow Labyrinth and Patriots fan no less!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B. G. Kubacki
Poland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
waffel wrote:
[...]and none of my friends have a copy so [...]

soblue

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sim Guy
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome, my friend!

And rest assured that you are well on your way to Grognard status, you already have: not enough space; not enough time; not enough money; and not enough friends who want to play the games you like. Add in a wife, to not understand why you spend so much of what you do have on wargames, and you are practically there. whistle

But I would heed calandale's advice and not rid yourself of ALL of your Euros and AT, even a Grognard needs a little change of pace now and then. And you'll need something to play with your fiance'; women generally don't care for wargames but you can often get them to play AT&Es - a female wargamer is a rare and wonderful thing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Igor Kwiatkowski
Poland
Warszawa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Scrogdog wrote:
Welcome to the forums, Igor!

Ok, let's get you situated. Uh... here we argue what a wargame even is.

We also observe several traditions. Like displaying wargaming microbadges! Please note your GG total has been modified.

Again along the lines of tradition, Case Blue MUST... I repeat MUST be mentioned in each and every topic.

Er... no one is quite sure *why* it's just something we do.

Yeah. We're like that. cool

A fellow Labyrinth and Patriots fan no less!

As a long time lurker I enjoy the repetition cool Thanks for the tip!
irondeav wrote:
waffel wrote:
[...]and none of my friends have a copy so [...]

soblue

Okay, fine, so ONE copy in the immediate vicinity. I'm still not getting rid of it if that's what you're after!
SimGuy wrote:
Welcome, my friend!

And rest assured that you are well on your way to Grognard status, you already have: not enough space; not enough time; not enough money; and not enough friends who want to play the games you like. Add in a wife, to not understand why you spend so much of what you do have on wargames, and you are practically there. whistle

But I would heed calandale's advice and not rid yourself of ALL of your Euros and AT, even a Grognard needs a little change of pace now and then. And you'll need something to play with your fiance'; women generally don't care for wargames but you can often get them to play AT&Es - a female wargamer is a rare and wonderful thing.

I will keep some non-wargames. I will for example keep Dominion - this is the only game my fiancee will ever play. By "ever" I mean once a year. No, really. She's such a non-gamer that she is able to stomach up to three games of Dominion a year, if that. I don't think we played anything together in 2011 at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michał M.
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
this is the only game my fiancee will ever play. By "ever" I mean once a year. No, really. She's such a non-gamer that she is able to stomach up to three games of Dominion a year, if that. I don't think we played anything together in 2011 at all.

Don't lose hope! My girlfriend is not intrested in boardgames except(sic!) ACW wargames

So maybe you will have same situation

And, BTW, welcome in wargaming family
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Igor Kwiatkowski
Poland
Warszawa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Malaggar wrote:
Don't lose hope! My girlfriend is not intrested in boardgames except(sic!) ACW wargames

So maybe you will have same situation

And, BTW, welcome in wargaming family

Thanks for the words of encouragement, but my pessimism is well-grounded. She gave gaming a shot. She even played a full game of the aforementioned Twilight Imperium with me a few years ago! It went downhill from there though.

And would you all please, please stop encouraging me? I even displayed my complainer microbadge, so let me grumble in peace. I'll never get to grognard level with all this optimism! After the Superbowl I even plan to wear a combo:

mbmbmbmbmb

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michał M.
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I'll never get to grognard level with all this optimism!

This is a test of fire. Will you manage to remain grumbler? Are you man enough?!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rui Serrabulho
Portugal
Lisboa
Lisboa
flag msg tools
badge
You have to, at least from a distance, look as if you know what you're doing, and I can manage that.
mbmbmbmbmb
SimGuy wrote:
Welcome, my friend!

Already sold my eurogames. The last step to be a wargamer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Igor Kwiatkowski
Poland
Warszawa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
psicoserra wrote:
SimGuy wrote:
Welcome, my friend!

... or the first?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rui Serrabulho
Portugal
Lisboa
Lisboa
flag msg tools
badge
You have to, at least from a distance, look as if you know what you're doing, and I can manage that.
mbmbmbmbmb
waffel wrote:
psicoserra wrote:
SimGuy wrote:
Welcome, my friend!

... or the first?

I don´t know if makes sense but there are several steps and mybe that´s the last one. Several steps, not in order:
- have vassal with modules in a USB pen to play in a computer that doesn´t allow installation;
- copies of OCS 4.0 rules wherever I go even if I don´t have the time to read them;
- reading the history of those games;
- reading the foruns of BGG and CSW;
- posting a message in a site of boargamers if there´s anyone in Portugal playing OCS;
- try to play Burma in vassal.

Selling eurogames.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sim Guy
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Looking for an up or down vote on whether clipping counters is grounds to invalidate or confirm Grognard status? thumbsdown thumbsup

After all, if you can't complain about your counter tassels what's life for?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Willows
United States
Woburn
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SimGuy wrote:
Looking for an up or down vote on whether clipping counters is grounds to invalidate or confirm Grognard status? thumbsdown thumbsup

Depends on what you mean by clipping.

I will usually clean up unsightly tufts of cardboard from the corners but rarely care about rounded corners.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sim Guy
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Scrogdog wrote:
SimGuy wrote:

Depends on what you mean by clipping.

I will usually clean up unsightly tufts of cardboard from the corners but rarely care about rounded corners.

I'm a counter cutter not a corner clipper (rounder that is). Life is too short as it is.

Nothing like a nicely squared corner, hmmm...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.