12 Posts

Eclipse» Forums » Rules

Subject: Missiles rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Karl Pfaff
Canada
flag msg tools
I was just wondering how missiles work with retreating.

Basically one of our players had a fleet completely composed of missile racks and he would attack, inflict massive damage, then retreat after the first round since he has no guns and his missiles shoot before combat. So essentially he had 12+ missiles with +6 to hit, first striking - then if he didn't kill everything he was only shot at once before he got away.

It seems legit to me and there are ways to adapt to it - but a number of our players really seemed put off the game by this (their first time playing) he didn't end up winning anyways but I thought I'd ask here just so I can go back next time with a concrete answer so people don't get upset by this "cheesy" tactic.

Cheers

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's legal.

Note that Mr. Missile would be shot at twice by all ships that have a higher initiative. (Once before retreat is initiated, once after.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus
Finland
Helsinki
Uusimaa
flag msg tools
You don't need any more.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Xervitus wrote:
he didn't end up winning

This is all you need.

As for how to win the combat, cut off their retreat route and they'll automatically die as long as you have at least one ion cannon left after the volley.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eike Hanus
Germany
Büttelborn
flag msg tools
GAMES!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The post above mentions one of the most important aspects of combating missile attack fleets: If you manage to block off their retreat (by placing at least one ship in any hexes he might retreat to) and survive the combat (don't even need to have a weapon on your ship if you defend) you will destroy his entire attack fleet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
stu ma
Germany
HD
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Spearhead wrote:
(don't even need to have a weapon on your ship if you defend) you will destroy his entire attack fleet.

True by the rules, but I don't think this is intended.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antti Autio
Finland
Helsinki
flag msg tools
badge
Gina, Escher gang leader (Necromunda). Don't mess with her or she'll kick your ass.. actually, she's gonna do it anyway!
mbmbmbmbmb
Aselan wrote:
Spearhead wrote:
(don't even need to have a weapon on your ship if you defend) you will destroy his entire attack fleet.

Sure, it's legal. Starbases fitted completely with Improved Hull parts are a pretty good stopper for an all-missile invasion. (but of course it only needs one upgrade by the missile player to turn the stalemate rule the other way round).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John McLintock
Scotland
Glasgow
Lanarkshire
flag msg tools
badge
"Roll dice and kick ass!"
mbmbmbmbmb
Aselan wrote:
Spearhead wrote:

Not quite. See combat rules, p.20:
Quote:
Stalemate If a battle ends in a situation where it's not possible for either player to destroy the other (this only happens when all ships in a battle have only Missiles), the attacker may retreat. If not, his ships are destroyed.

So you'd only destroy the attacker if they had no retreat, for whatever reason.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timo Hohkala
Finland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
You could've moved one interceptor to his back lines to prevent the retrat.

I know the battles are fought in certain order, do they count the interceptor as blocking retreat if it hasn't fought the battle yet when it's time for the enemy fleet to announce retreat?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus
Finland
Helsinki
Uusimaa
flag msg tools
You don't need any more.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
twibs wrote:
You could've moved one interceptor to his back lines to prevent the retrat.

I know the battles are fought in certain order, do they count the interceptor as blocking retreat if it hasn't fought the battle yet when it's time for the enemy fleet to announce retreat?

Rules, pg. 20

If you decide to retreat one of your Ship types,
all Ships of that type must on their next turn (on the next
Engagement round) move to a neighboring hex where you
have an Influence Disc and which has no enemy Ships
. The
normal Wormhole movement rules must be followed (see
an example below). Retreating Ships may be shot at.

So basically, if there are only adjacent hexes that have enemy ships on them you cannot retreat. In this case a single ion cannon will destroy weaponless ships sooner or later. It doesn't matter whether the enemy ships in other hexes have fought or not, as long as they are there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
He's looking real sharp in his 1940's fedora. He's got nerves of steel, an iron will, and several other metal-themed attributes. His fur is water tight and he's always up for a fight.
badge
He's a semi-aquatic egg-laying mammal of action. He's a furry little flat-foot who'll never flinch from a fray. He's got more than just mad skills, he's got a beaver tail and a bill.
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't forget to do your battles in descending order here - it might matter.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
stu ma
Germany
HD
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
okay, interesting.

Somehow I thought you'd need a gun to cut down the missle ships. That is an important and interesting aspekt! Nice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frizzled
United States
Benicia
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Xervitus wrote:
he was only shot at once before he got away

Ships retreat in initiative order: any ships with more initiative than the Missile Interceptors will get to shoot at them twice -once on the round when the retreat is announced then again on the round they actually retreat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.