Subject: BSG Express vs The Resistance rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
craig dias
United States
ewa beach
Hawaii
flag msg tools
Basically, I already own The Resistance and I was wondering if it would be worthwhile to create a Print and Play copy of BSG Express. I was hoping some experienced players of both games could chime on the similarities and differences between the games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Tullsen
United States
VANCOUVER
WA
flag msg tools
designer
48 hour turnaround time for Prototypes!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Having played the Resistance and printed (but not played yet) BSG express, here's what I think:

Players:
BSG Express: Plays 3-5
Resistance: Plays 5-10

So, you can own both and play a "hidden loyalties" game for 3-10 players in a short play time.

Theme:
BSG Express: BSG has a lot more "theme" going on here. If you like the show or the game this is based on, you might like this.
Resistance: A bit more "abstract", "spies" vs "the resistance". Yeah. No werewolves even.

Game play:
BSG Express: Like the game this is based on, this has a lot more decisions and stuff going on. Raiders, Cylons, Morale, Dice Rolling, Checks, etc. The bluffing is done via dice rolls, and may screw you if you get a horrible roll and no one believes you. If you dislike dice, this might not be for you. The game revolves around them. However, I really do like these new "express games" and I feel that many of them do an excellent job of distilling the original game to a shorter faster dice game.

Resistance: You really need to use the special cards, or it becomes essentially a bluffing game, and who can convince who the easiest. There is a lot less to go on, and lot more talk which is mostly air.
(Don't get me wrong, I own and like this, but the information to go on isn't enough to really win consistently, IMO)

Hope that helps!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Webster
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BSG has a little more meat to it and a few more decisions. Both games are good. I am already trying to expand BSG express to 7 players, like the board game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kuba P.
Poland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
I have both too, and see it this way:

BSG E is a great board game. As such, it has more substance to it, rules and all. I'd play it with people who generally enjoy board games and appreciate the tension it creates.

The Resistance, as we play it, is much more a party game - throwing random accusations and shoving fault to others. We usually don't even use the cards, keeping it a pure deduction/acting game that can be explained in a couple minutes.

Both are awesome : )
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.